It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 13:01

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although it claims to delve into political issues,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 737 [0], given: 1

Although it claims to delve into political issues, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2008, 23:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although it claims to delve into political issues, television can be superficial such as when each of the three major
networks
broadcast exactly the same statement from a political candidate.

(A) superficial such as when each of the three major networks
(B) superficial, as can sometimes occur if all of the three major networks
(C) superficial if the three major networks all
(D) superficial whenever each of the three major networks
(E) superficial, as when the three major networks each

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

Re: A slightly tricky SC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2008, 00:42
i may be wrong about this but i think broadcast is plural and you have to use broadcasts in all except C and B because of "each". B uses extra words to say the same thing C does,

so C

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2008, 01:38
amitdgr wrote:
Although it claims to delve into political issues, television can be superficial such as when each of the three major
networks
broadcast exactly the same statement from a political candidate.

(A) superficial such as when each of the three major networks
(B) superficial, as can sometimes occur if all of the three major networks
(C) superficial if the three major networks all
(D) superficial whenever each of the three major networks
(E) superficial, as when the three major networks each

E correctly uses each, the subject before each is plural and broadcast rightly follows the plural subject.

I have a question here though, what is the rule for usage of when? Shouldn't when always refer to a time or it can be an incident as well?

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 6

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2008, 02:40
A and D are out because of singular subject. E is out because of "when". Between B and C, B is more meaningful. I will go with B.

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2008, 05:25
OA is E.

I do not know the source of this question. My friend says this is from some spidey's notes .... There is a very detailed explanation by Erin (he is an expert in GMAT/TOEFL English)

Erin(TestMagic.com) wrote:
This question tests one use of "each" which most of us ignore. The traditional rule still holds true i.e. "the subject of a sentence beginning with each is grammatically singular".

But there is another rule which says that: When each follows a plural subject, the verb and subsequent pronouns remain in the plural: e.g. the apartments each have their own private entrances (not has its own private entrance)
1. Three cats each eat ...
2. Three cats, each of which eats ...,
In 1, each is postpositive Adj, whereas in 2, it is distributive determiner.

Television can be superficial, as when three major networks each broadcast exactly the same.
Adverb clause of manner with temporal adverb clause:
Television can be superficial, as [TV is superficial] when three networks each broad cast the same

First of all, each, if it's a pronoun (as it is in A), is singular. In fact, each is almost always singular, but there's at least one exception, which we will see in just a minute. So, A can be faulted for using a plural verb, broadcast, with a singular subject, each.

What I really like about A is that it uses such as, which we use to give examples. All the other incorrect answer choices use words that mean something different from for example.

The best answer, E, maintains the same meaning as A, and corrects the subject/verb agreement problem. Please note that one of the accepted meanings of as is for instance, and with this meaning, as is an adverb and can therefore be followed by parts of speech other than simply nouns.

B is not only awkward, it also incorrectly uses if in the subordinate clause connected with can in the main clause.

I think this is the part that is confusing people (it certainly is what has confused TestMagic students in the past),

so let's flip the sentence around to see a bit more clearly that it's not correct to use if with can:
If all of the three major networks broadcast the same statement, television can be superficial.
This sentence should read:
If all of the three major networks broadcast the same statement, television will be superficial.
In other words, it's not correct to use can after if (in the context of what we've been talking about). Let's look at a simpler example:
If the temperature drops below 0 degrees celsius, distilled water can or will freeze.

Please post back with questions if you need clarification on this.

Finally, it's better to use each than it is to use all, since each network is operating independently--all implies that the networks were working together.

HTH, guys, and I'll try my best to clear up any doubts you might have!

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2008, 00:48
Good catch and good OE. Thanks for the posting.

Re: A slightly tricky SC   [#permalink] 03 Nov 2008, 00:48

Although it claims to delve into political issues,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap