GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 16:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Although its purpose is laudable, the exclusionary rule, which forbids

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
Although its purpose is laudable, the exclusionary rule, which forbids  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 04:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (02:21) correct 70% (02:24) wrong based on 130 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although its purpose is laudable, the exclusionary rule, which forbids a court to consider evidence seized in violation of the defendant’s constitutional rights, has unduly hampered law-enforcement efforts. Even when the rights violation was a minor or purely technical one, turning on a detail of procedure rather than on the abrogation of some fundamental liberty, and even when it has been clear that the police officers were acting in good faith, the evidence obtained has been considered tainted under this rule and may not even by introduced. In consequence, defendants who were undoubtedly guilty have been set free, perhaps to steal, rape, or murder again.

The author of the passage above assumes all of the following EXCEPT:

(A) The constitutional rights of criminal defendants should be protected.

(B) Most cases in which the exclusionary rule has been invoked have involved purely technical violations of constitutional principles.

(C) The number of cases whose outcome has been affected by the exclusionary rule is significant.

(D) Some of the defendants set free under the exclusionary rule have been guilty of serious criminal offenses.

(E) Merely technical violations of the rules concerning evidence should be treated differently from deliberate assaults upon human rights.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Although its purpose is laudable, the exclusionary rule, which forbids  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 05:33
I think its B as its not assumed unlike other options.
Intern
Intern
B
Although its purpose is laudable, the exclusionary rule, which forbids  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 06:11
A,D,E are out. Between B/C, I believe B is better answer
Manager
Manager
S
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge
Re: Although its purpose is laudable, the exclusionary rule, which forbids  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 23:18
I marked Option C as number of cases where final outcome is affected by exclusionary rule is significant cant be the assumption.
VeritasKarishma Mam can you please explain this question... I am unable to deduce how Option B can't be the assumption

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 00:24
Bunuel wrote:
Although its purpose is laudable, the exclusionary rule, which forbids a court to consider evidence seized in violation of the defendant’s constitutional rights, has unduly hampered law-enforcement efforts. Even when the rights violation was a minor or purely technical one, turning on a detail of procedure rather than on the abrogation of some fundamental liberty, and even when it has been clear that the police officers were acting in good faith, the evidence obtained has been considered tainted under this rule and may not even by introduced. In consequence, defendants who were undoubtedly guilty have been set free, perhaps to steal, rape, or murder again.

The author of the passage above assumes all of the following EXCEPT:

(B) Most cases in which the exclusionary rule has been invoked have involved purely technical violations of constitutional principles.

(C) The number of cases whose outcome has been affected by the exclusionary rule is significant.

(D) Some of the defendants set free under the exclusionary rule have been guilty of serious criminal offenses.

(E) Merely technical violations of the rules concerning evidence should be treated differently from deliberate assaults upon human rights.

The question is not of very high quality.
Nevertheless, the words used by the author indicate that he is assuming 4 of the given 5 options but is not assuming (B).

"Although its purpose is laudable... " - he says that the purpose of the rule (not violate defendant’s constitutional rights) is laudable. So he believes that defendant's constitutional rights should be protected.

"Even when the rights violation was a minor or purely technical one, ..." - just means even in those cases where the violation was technical. It doesn't mean that this is true of MOST cases. Hence the author does not assume this anywhere in the passage.

"...rule...has unduly hampered law-enforcement efforts" - the author believes that the rule has hampered efforts. If the number of cases were insignificant, we could not have said that the efforts are hampered by it.

"... defendants who were undoubtedly guilty have been set free, perhaps to steal, rape, or murder again." - notice the use of "again". We can assume that some of these defendants were certainly charged with "stealing", "rape" or "murder", which we can consider serious offenses.

"Even when the rights violation was purely technical one, ... rather than on the abrogation of some fundamental liberty,..., the evidence obtained has been considered tainted under this rule" - the author believes that merely technical violations should be treated differently from deliberate assaults.

Answer (B)

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GPA: 3.56
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 01:03
sujaysinha7 wrote:
I think its B as its not assumed unlike other options.

I echo the same. And I have chosen the answer only to see it as incorrect. Moreover, This one is something very difficult to eliminite based on the premise given.

The Graceful
----------------------------------------------------------
Every EXPERT was a beginner once...
Don't look at the clock. Do what it does, keep going
To achieve great things, two things are needed:a plan and not quite enough time - Leonard Bernstein.

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GPA: 3.56
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 01:06
krishnabalu wrote:
A,D,E are out. Between B/C, I believe B is better answer

Glad that you thinking matches the one like experts. Please do add your explanations, if you can. This will help ppl like me to judge how other test takers see and think.
Thanks.

The Graceful
----------------------------------------------------------
Every EXPERT was a beginner once...
Don't look at the clock. Do what it does, keep going
To achieve great things, two things are needed:a plan and not quite enough time - Leonard Bernstein.

Manager
Manager
S
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 01:48
Thanks a tonne for the explanation VeritasKarishma mam -:)

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

GMAT Club Bot
Although its purpose is laudable, the exclusionary rule, which forbids &nbs [#permalink] 22 Aug 2018, 01:48

Although its purpose is laudable, the exclusionary rule, which forbids

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap