Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 01:23 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 01:23
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [12]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: LBS '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Consulting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: LBS '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Consulting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8620 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: Although varying in body lengths of just under 1 millimeter [#permalink]
I'm surprised by the structure "although......., nevertheless............." in C, which is the OA. From my understanding, both although and nevertheless express contrast meaning. I rarely see a similar structure used by GMAC.

Any suggestion is highly welcome :)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33662 [1]
Given Kudos: 4578
Send PM
Kudos
pqhai wrote:
I'm surprised by the structure "although......., nevertheless............." in C, which is the OA. From my understanding, both although and nevertheless express contrast meaning. I rarely see a similar structure used by GMAC.

Any suggestion is highly welcome :)

the word nevertheless is perfectly fine in this context.

Although bugs range from A to B they should show something of weird or strange: something that goes in TWO opposite direction in somehow......wheras they show a scenario that is consistent with their strange nature NEVERTHELESS

they have features that converge to a common point: this is the real meaning.

all idioms, parallel structures and so forth are useless if the meaning is not your first stop when you tackle a SC. ;)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8620 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
carcass wrote:
all idioms, parallel structures and so forth are useless if the meaning is not your first stop when you tackle a SC. ;)

Carcass
Absolutely agree with you. I searched the usage "although.........nevertheless......" on the internet. The structure is used quite often. :shock:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Re: Although varying in body lengths of just under [#permalink]
Although varying in body lengths of just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters, and with a range of shapes and colors, the majority of the world's bug species nevertheless share many similarities in external and internal structure.

A) Although varying in body lengths of just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters, and with--varying of is incorrect

B) Although their body length varies from just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters, as well as displaying--varying from is correct but their body length varies and then displaying is not parallel

C) Although bugs vary in body length from just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters and display--correctly portraying the sentence's meaning without errors

D) Whereas bugs have varying body lengths, of just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters, and with--again, varying of is incorrect

E) Whereas their body lengths vary from just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters and with--whereas seems to indicate contradiction, but there are no but/however-esque words to signal change in the second half of the sentence--changes the meaning, incorrect

Pick C
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [3]
Given Kudos: 111
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Although varying in body lengths of just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters, and with a range of shapes and colors, the majority of the world's bug species nevertheless share many similarities in external and internal structure.

A) Although varying in body lengths of just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters, and with - Comma+And Either connects item to a list Or introduce an IC. Here first possibility is discarded as no list is shown and for 2nd possibility, there is no IC after And. Moreover, 'and with' is redundant and hence wrong on GMAT most of the times. Moreover, here, Verb+ing is made parallel with prepositional phrase.

B) Although their body length varies from just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters, as well as displaying - displaying should be displays however that also would be wrong as it would be meant that body length displays range of shapes and colors instead of bugs.

C) Although bugs vary in body length from just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters and display - Vary and Display are parallel. Meaning is clear. Subject of first clause is claer

D) Whereas bugs have varying body lengths, of just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters, and with - 'Whereas' brings sense of contradiction in comparison, For eg.: Whereas A does X, B does Y, which is wrong here. 'And with' is redundant.

E) Whereas their body lengths vary from just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters and with - Same as D. Their is ambiguous. Not parallel. 'And without Comma' connects an IC with DC therefore here it seems that 'With a range of shapes and colors' specify 'body lengths' instead of 'bugs'

+1 for Kudos.... :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 305 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM

A) Although varying in body lengths of just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters, and with ("and with" makes the sentence illogical

B) Although their body length varies from just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters, as well as displaying ("varies" is not parallel to "displaying)"

C) Although bugs vary in body length from just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters and display (Correct. vary=display)

D) Whereas bugs have varying body lengths, of just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters, and with (In my opinion here "whereas" should make a shift in attention i.e it should compare something with something else. Here it makes no sense to compare bugs with bugs)

E) Whereas their body lengths vary from just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters and with (the same as in D)
Queens MBA Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 381 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Send PM
Meaning Analysis :
1. Although Bug differs on something, the bug share many similarities.
2. Differences - Varying body lengths and Range of shape and colors
3. Similarities - External and Internal Structure.

Errors :
Although X ,Y : in these kind of structure, X and Y should be logically related and grammatically parallel.

We cannot talk about two different things in this structure,
Say "Although India is biggest democracy, Mars is red planet"

Non Underlined Part "the majority .... Structure" is a Clause, so Underlined part should be Clause to make it Parallel.

"Although Varying in body lengths and with a range " is not clause. "Varying in" is also not able to modify present variation in body length.

POE

A) Although varying in body lengths of just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters, and with
Incorrect - Errors explained above.

B) Although their body length varies from just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters, as well as displaying
"their body ... 110mm" is clause , but the phrase "as well as ... colors" is just dangling. it should ideally connect to subject of clause, but in reality it is just dangling without any purpose.

Of course "their" is possessive pronoun and does not have any possessive antecedent.

C) Although bugs vary in body length from just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters and display

Bugs Vary and display -- Correct SV pair.
Although X, Y both X and Y are clauses so parellel
It is correct

D) Whereas bugs have varying body lengths, of just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters, and with
whereas bugs have ..110 mm and with - And with does not have any purpose in this. It is extra and dangling

E) Whereas their body lengths vary from just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters and with
With error same as option D,
Their - error as in Option B
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 401 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
bgribble wrote:

A) Although varying in body lengths of just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters, and with

B) Although their body length varies from just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters, as well as displaying

C) Although bugs vary in body length from just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters and display

D) Whereas bugs have varying body lengths, of just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters, and with

E) Whereas their body lengths vary from just under 1 millimeter to over 110 millimeters and with

I want to say a few words now and possibly I will say more after a few days thinking over this problem.

choice A, why "varying " can not be parallel with "with".
if both phrase are adjective, they can be parallel disregarding their forms.

the girl walking in the bar and with a red hat is my girl friend
the girl with a red hat walking in the bar is my girl friend.

I think both above sentences are correct.

but it is possible to consider inferior the parallelism between varying and with . but the inferior can be correct if other choices are in error. the parallelism in choice C is better. so, choice a is inferior not incorrect.

the second thing in choice A is that varying in length of ... to.. is not idiomatic.

am i correct? i am not confident about reason to eliminate choice a.

regarding choice b

"as well as" is correct because it is both conjunction and preposition. the sentence " as well as emitting less fuel" on gmatprep proves my point.

as a conjunction , it connect 2 similar entities. as preposition, it can stand before doing as participle working as an adverb.

"as well as' in choice b is a preposition . but in this function, there is no meaning or adverb relation between "displaying..." and the main clause, so, choice b is wrong
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
HI Experts,

Please help.

Thanks
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts