Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 03:02 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Another GMAT clubber gets 700 + [#permalink]
I might miss something. How to go about pressing show/hide option?

I'm looking for tough questions in DS & PS, what's your suggestions on Quant?

For SC, you can find answers by pressing show/hide option.

I am not sure of DS and PS link. I could download them before, though some tests are missing. But I don't suggest DS1000 and PS1000, if you are looking for tough questions.[/quote]
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Also, for powerscore LSAT CR guide - what book do you recommend??
Director
Director
Send PM
yogachgolf wrote:
Also, for powerscore LSAT CR guide - what book do you recommend??

Powerscore is name of the guide..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Could you be more specific on the show/hide button? Also, what book do you suggest on Quant??

aurobindo wrote:
yogachgolf wrote:
Can someone take a look at this????

It seems that the SC does not have answers posted to the doc. Could you send the SC answers as well?

Also, the DS link could not be downloaded. The folder does not hold any files. And the PS link does not have answers either.

I am not sure of DS and PS link. I could download them before, though some tests are missing. But I don't suggest DS1000 and PS1000, if you are looking for tough questions.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aurobindo wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
Can you post your CR notes or tell us your CR strategy?

I am sorry. Did n't maintain notes on CR. Some how I never learn that :cry:

During practice, was trying more to expand my ability to understand complex text.

I think it is important to be able to identify what is assumption, what is conclusion, and what is supporting conclusion. Unless we learn this it would be difficult to answer many questions. We don't need to mark these part of the argument consciously, every single time. That can be time taking too. But at least when we read an argument we should immediately get what the author is making all the fuss about.

Be careful to discriminate between final conclusion and supporting conclusion. Supporting conclusion is also a conclusion but it based on a few, but not all, pieces of information in the argument.

Further, reading question closely is very important. We often have a quick reading. That is understandable under time pressure. But that is not enough. Some times when a question asks us to assume right option as true, we understand it as asking us to assume that all the information in the argument is right. As you know, they are two different questions.

Also please get clarity on what is a strengthen question and what is weaken question. We all know basic definitions, but few of us clearly understand them. Before I used to look for 100% supporting option for strengthen questions. Of course, that is not right. Even if the option says a little positive (between 0-99%), it can be a right option. Same holds for weaken questions.

Assumption questions are the toughest, in my view. Often the trap is laid in the form of "out of scope".

If you want to bury CR once for all, read and master material in Powerscore LSAT CR guide. In my opinion, that is the best guide available on CR.

Do you suggest symbolizing the sentences?
Director
Director
Send PM
yogachgolf wrote:
Could you be more specific on the show/hide button? Also, what book do you suggest on Quant??

aurobindo wrote:
yogachgolf wrote:

It seems that the SC does not have answers posted to the doc. Could you send the SC answers as well?

Also, the DS link could not be downloaded. The folder does not hold any files. And the PS link does not have answers either.

I am not sure of DS and PS link. I could download them before, though some tests are missing. But I don't suggest DS1000 and PS1000, if you are looking for tough questions.

Follow these instructions to see answers in SC1000:

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. Click the View tab.
3. Under Formatting Marks, click to select the Hidden Text check box.
4. Click OK.

Quants: I have not prepared much for that part. I have been strong in that section from the beginning.

I heard from fellow clubbers that "GMAT Club Challenges" material is good. Even I saw some questions and found the quality of questions to be very good.

Originally posted by aurobindo on 27 Jul 2007, 02:38.
Last edited by aurobindo on 27 Jul 2007, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
bmwhype2 wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

During practice, was trying more to expand my ability to understand complex text.

I think it is important to be able to identify what is assumption, what is conclusion, and what is supporting conclusion. Unless we learn this it would be difficult to answer many questions. We don't need to mark these part of the argument consciously, every single time. That can be time taking too. But at least when we read an argument we should immediately get what the author is making all the fuss about.

Be careful to discriminate between final conclusion and supporting conclusion. Supporting conclusion is also a conclusion but it based on a few, but not all, pieces of information in the argument.

Further, reading question closely is very important. We often have a quick reading. That is understandable under time pressure. But that is not enough. Some times when a question asks us to assume right option as true, we understand it as asking us to assume that all the information in the argument is right. As you know, they are two different questions.

Also please get clarity on what is a strengthen question and what is weaken question. We all know basic definitions, but few of us clearly understand them. Before I used to look for 100% supporting option for strengthen questions. Of course, that is not right. Even if the option says a little positive (between 0-99%), it can be a right option. Same holds for weaken questions.

Assumption questions are the toughest, in my view. Often the trap is laid in the form of "out of scope".

If you want to bury CR once for all, read and master material in Powerscore LSAT CR guide. In my opinion, that is the best guide available on CR.

By symbolizing do u mean classifying sentences into "conclusion" or "assumption" or "evidence"?

If Yes, then I suggest that. I feel that is methodical way of solving CR. I think that method is reliable.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Nice...got it.

aurobindo wrote:
yogachgolf wrote:

aurobindo wrote:
yogachgolf wrote:

Follow these instructions to see answers in SC1000:

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. Click the View tab.
3. Under Formatting Marks, click to select the Hidden Text check box.
4. Click OK.

Quants: I have not prepared much for that part. I have been strong in that section from the beginning.

I heard from fellow clubbers that "GMAT Club Challenges" material is good. Even I saw some questions and found the quality of questions to be very good.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aurobindo wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

By symbolizing do u mean classifying sentences into "conclusion" or "assumption" or "evidence"?

If Yes, then I suggest that. I feel that is methodical way of solving CR. I think that method is reliable.

no i meant
if p then Q
P => ~Q
Q=> ~p

i have no idea if those are correct or wrong. just explaining symbolizing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
in my opinion, there is no need to diagram GMAT CRs..
the questions are not complex enough.
LSAT LRs are a different story...

(i studied for both tests)

bmwhype2 wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

no i meant
if p then Q
P => ~Q
Q=> ~p

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think for CR you just need to avoid common pitfalls:

assumptions: make sure it's specific and related directly to the premise and conclusion of the statement

inference: don't go out of scope

strengthen/weaken: make sure the answer you pick attacks an assumption directly and not some inference

Just a few quick thoughts.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
CookieMonster wrote:
in my opinion, there is no need to diagram GMAT CRs..
the questions are not complex enough.
LSAT LRs are a different story...

(i studied for both tests)

bmwhype2 wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

no i meant
if p then Q
P => ~Q
Q=> ~p

Agree with CookieMonster. I don't think GMAT CR needs such a high level of preparation. You should just be able to clearly identify what is an assumption, or conclusion or evidence. If you can clearly understand how these are being used in the argument that is enough.

I have seen some high scorers using symbolizing. I have also seen people not using symobilizing, scoring very well. I guess learning to solve CR problems through symbolizing might take time. Having said that had I had time, I would have learnt symbolizing.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts