Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [3]
Given Kudos: 135
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.48
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: Another unexpected frustrating experience [#permalink]
Expert Reply
anonymousCentaur wrote:
bb wrote:
I think crashing during the AWA is not a huge concern but of course you have to wait for your score now....

Just to clarify: I was done with AWA, and then it crashed. I'm actually positive about how my essay turned out. Wrote a lot of words and structured it properly. So if it has saved my essay locally and retries (something which all such software should) then I'll be good.

Got it. Hopefully they have your essay saved but even if they don’t, you should still be able to get a score. And the essay is of no consequence to business schools.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Send PM
bb wrote:
anonymousCentaur wrote:
bb wrote:
I think crashing during the AWA is not a huge concern but of course you have to wait for your score now....

Just to clarify: I was done with AWA, and then it crashed. I'm actually positive about how my essay turned out. Wrote a lot of words and structured it properly. So if it has saved my essay locally and retries (something which all such software should) then I'll be good.

Got it. Hopefully they have your essay saved but even if they don’t, you should still be able to get a score. And the essay is of no consequence to business schools.

(I'm sorry for repeatedly bothering you. Also, discussing here instead of PM so that others who have gone through a similar experience can benefit from this conversation)

What do you mean by no consequence to business schools? I am not planning to apply for another 1-2 years at least.
Also, in case such a thing happens, would there be a provision where you can just sit for the essay? From what I know the online GMAT didn't support essay for quite some time until recently.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I’m basically on the same boat with you. I live in Houston Texas. I started my GMAT journey in late 2019, due to the pandemic and eventually a pregnancy (I’m a happy mother to a 4 month old now), delayed the Gmat til now. Once I had the baby, started studying for GMAT again in Nov 2020, this time it felt like self inflicted torture where I couldn’t be fully present with the baby because I’m stressed about GMAT, and couldn’t fully study for GMAT because the baby is crying or needs to be fed every hour. All while being a new mom, sleep deprived. and recovering from child birth.

Wrote the GMAT twice in Dec 2020 and got 650, I need 700. Decided to sign up for more self inflicted torture. Put in more hours and a tutor and finally started scoring 700s in mocks. Booked my exam for Feb 17, and Boom winter storm hits and Texas loses electricity and water. Exam was cancelled. I rescheduled it to a different location and drove to the god damn testing centre (in zombie city, no water, no electricity, traffic lights not working, highways blocked, went to 8 different gas stations and finally found gas), and the building is dark! No lights, nobody was there. Guess it’s cancelled again. All of this is happening as my own home is also without water and electricity and we have a newborn.

Now I don’t even know what to do. Deadlines are coming up and I may not be able to write the exam in time. I keep calling Pearson for reschedule but I always get disconnected after a while. Maybe this is a sign from the universe that mbas aren’t in my future.

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sorry to hear about your experience. I’ve seen the news and it looks crazy. However, you didn’t give up after visiting seven gas stations so perhaps not yet the time to give up here :-)

I could not imagine having a newborn without water and power and having to take the GMAT. It’s amazing you had the resolve and the strength to do it!!! Wow!!!

One option would be taking the GMAT online. However that requires a waiting time for your score. I could see schools being potentially lenient about it if you contact them now about the situation. I think they will be sympathetic and very supportive. I don’t know who wouldn’t be 😬

Sorry about the GMAC phone support. It’s hit and miss unfortunately...

Current Student
Send PM
shaunayang71@gmail.com wrote:
I’m basically on the same boat with you. I live in Houston Texas. I started my GMAT journey in late 2019, due to the pandemic and eventually a pregnancy (I’m a happy mother to a 4 month old now), delayed the Gmat til now. Once I had the baby, started studying for GMAT again in Nov 2020, this time it felt like self inflicted torture where I couldn’t be fully present with the baby because I’m stressed about GMAT, and couldn’t fully study for GMAT because the baby is crying or needs to be fed every hour. All while being a new mom, sleep deprived. and recovering from child birth.

Wrote the GMAT twice in Dec 2020 and got 650, I need 700. Decided to sign up for more self inflicted torture. Put in more hours and a tutor and finally started scoring 700s in mocks. Booked my exam for Feb 17, and Boom winter storm hits and Texas loses electricity and water. Exam was cancelled. I rescheduled it to a different location and drove to the god damn testing centre (in zombie city, no water, no electricity, traffic lights not working, highways blocked, went to 8 different gas stations and finally found gas), and the building is dark! No lights, nobody was there. Guess it’s cancelled again. All of this is happening as my own home is also without water and electricity and we have a newborn.

Now I don’t even know what to do. Deadlines are coming up and I may not be able to write the exam in time. I keep calling Pearson for reschedule but I always get disconnected after a while. Maybe this is a sign from the universe that mbas aren’t in my future.

Holy crap! People like you inspire me to push myself. And I agree with bb here. Maybe it isn't time to give up.

Also, may I suggest that you take a small break and recalibrate yourself. Sure you can go right away for the GMAT Online, but I think remaining kind to oneself is the key to persisting in the long haul, and this persistence oozes out of you from the looks of your story here. Although it is unlikely that I can be of any assistance to you, I'll be more than happy to do so.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
An update for the folks here: I got an email from GMAT saying I'll need to reappear for GMAT. I know it is a bummer but the good thing is that I got to know this as soon as possible. Will probably schedule it in the next week or so.

Meanwhile, my plan is to solve the QOTDs and post replies if possible on them. Other than that, I think I still have questions pending in OG quant. I am thinking I will solve some more difficult questions for Verbal to push my level as much as possible.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
anonymousCentaur wrote:
An update for the folks here: I got an email from GMAT saying I'll need to reappear for GMAT. I know it is a bummer but the good thing is that I got to know this as soon as possible. Will probably schedule it in the next week or so.

Meanwhile, my plan is to solve the QOTDs and post replies if possible on them. Other than that, I think I still have questions pending in OG quant. I am thinking I will solve some more difficult questions for Verbal to push my level as much as possible.

Argh. That stinks. Sorry! Unfortunately you will have to wait 16 days to take the test, unless you’re going to take the online version.

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
anonymousCentaur wrote:

Glad you got a response. If you have any questions regarding your plan leading into a retake, feel free to reach out. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Update to my story. I managed to find a cancellation and took the Gmat today (Feb 23). However, the score did not break the 650 barrier. I was actually completely surprised by the score. Q47, V28, IR7. In my mocks, verbal has been V35-40, so I’m shocked that it regressed so much. Can’t believe the 700s in mocks did not translate on test day, even though I actually felt good finishing each section.

Anyways, this concludes my Gmat journey. I will be applying to business schools using the 650. I can keep torturing myself over Gmat or I can spend more energy on essays etc. I’m disappointed that months of preparation and sacrifice did not result in a happy ending, but I have so much to offer the schools than just a Gmat score. I’m a ‘mature’ student (age32) who’s successful in her field, I’ve worked in many countries in multi-billion projects, and a mother to the cutest baby ever. Gmat is just one factor to the application. Let’s keep on pushing ourselves!

Current Student
Send PM
shaunayang71@gmail.com wrote:
Update to my story. I managed to find a cancellation and took the Gmat today (Feb 23). However, the score did not break the 650 barrier. I was actually completely surprised by the score. Q47, V28, IR7. In my mocks, verbal has been V35-40, so I’m shocked that it regressed so much. Can’t believe the 700s in mocks did not translate on test day, even though I actually felt good finishing each section.

Anyways, this concludes my Gmat journey. I will be applying to business schools using the 650. I can keep torturing myself over Gmat or I can spend more energy on essays etc. I’m disappointed that months of preparation and sacrifice did not result in a happy ending, but I have so much to offer the schools than just a Gmat score. I’m a ‘mature’ student (age32) who’s successful in her field, I’ve worked in many countries in multi-billion projects, and a mother to the cutest baby ever. Gmat is just one factor to the application. Let’s keep on pushing ourselves!

Are you going to order an ESR and see where did the test go wrong?
Also, I think that your profile already looks good enough. I am still young (22 y.o.) so I feel like I might need to push as much as I can on my GMAT.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
anonymousCentaur wrote:

Hi anonymousCentaur,

Just take it positively. You have worked so hard. So, take this another chance and give your best. I wish everything goes well this time and you will have a better experience than before. All the best!!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts