As a result of the increasing volatility of oil prices, : GMAT Sentence Correction (SC)
Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 28 Feb 2017, 03:26
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As a result of the increasing volatility of oil prices,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

6 KUDOS received
Wharton Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 17 [6] , given: 15

As a result of the increasing volatility of oil prices, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 16:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (01:56) correct 70% (00:48) wrong based on 255 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As a result of the increasing volatility of oil prices, a greater number of resources are being directed toward the commercial development of alternative energy sources, such as wind, solar power, and biofuels.

A) a greater number of

B )greater numbers of

C) more and more

D) a greater amount of

E) an increasing level of

I have a question in the comment below so that people will not see OA in advance. Please help me out.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Happiness always comes to who always try the best ! Never give up never give in

Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
2 KUDOS received
Wharton Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 17 [2] , given: 15

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 16:48
This post received
KUDOS
I have 2 questions. Please help me out. I highlight which make me confused.
Full explanation : The original sentence is problematic in its use of “a greater number” as the subject, as this term is inappropriate to use in referring toresources, which here is used as an uncountable noun (i.e. saying “10 resources” would not be appropriate in this context). Also, “a greater number” is singular, which disagrees with the verb “are” in the non-underlined part of the sentence.
(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) The term “numbers of” is always incorrect; the correct term is “number of.” However, “resources” here are uncountable, so “number of” would still be incorrect in this context.

(C) CORRECT. “More and more” can correctly be applied to the uncountable “resources.” This choice makes “resources” the subject, which agrees with the plural verb “are.” This choice also correctly indicates an increasing level of resources, consistent with the meaning of the sentence.

(D) “A greater amount of” is correct insofar as it matches the uncountable use of “resources” here. However, “A greater amount of” is a singular subject, which cannot be used with the plural verb “are” in the non-underlined portion of the sentence.

(E) “An increasing level” is a singular subject, which cannot be used with the plural verb “are.”

The first question : Why A great number is singular? I learnt that The number of S.t will go with singular verb and a number of S.t will go with phural verb? (EDITED)
The second question : Why “resources” here - uncountable ? I tot , for example, oil resource surely is uncontable, but when we add " s" to resource, it should be countable?

Last edited by littlegirl on 29 Oct 2015, 18:25, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 530 Q40 V23
GPA: 3.56
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: As a result of the increasing volatility of oil prices, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 18:18
Quote:
The first question : Why A great number is singular? I learnt that The number of S.t will go with phural verb and a number of S.t will go with singular verb?

Nope. Learning seems to require a little revision :) .
A great number of / a number of - are always plural.

Why Plural ?
Because it indicates plurality. The same reason as "a lot of", "a great deal of" etc indicate plurality.

Examples from economist :
1. Unfortunately, a great number of investors crave .....
2. A great number of people are under his spell.
3. Why a great number of Italians would waste their time on Bersani .....

Quote:
The second question : Why “resources” here - uncountable ? I tot , for example, oil resource surely is uncontable, but when we add " s" to resource, it should be countable?

"resources" are countable and plural.
However if we say about specific resources like cotton, wool, fabric, leather, plastic, wood, stone, concrete, oil, gas, coal etc, then these particular resources will treat be as uncountable.

Master with structure - Numerical comparison [source: economist.com] https://gmatclub.com/forum/master-with-structure-numerical-comparison-233657.html#p1801987

1 KUDOS received
Wharton Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 15

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 18:24
This post received
KUDOS
@musunna wrote:
Quote:
The first question : Why A great number is singular? I learnt that The number of S.t will go with phural verb and a number of S.t will go with singular verb?

Nope. Learning seems to require a little revision :) .
A great number of / a number of - are always plural.

Why Plural ?
Because it indicates plurality. The same reason as "a lot of", "a great deal of" etc indicate plurality.

Examples from economist :
1. Unfortunately, a great number of investors crave .....
2. A great number of people are under his spell.
3. Why a great number of Italians would waste their time on Bersani .....

Quote:

"resources" are countable and plural.
However if we say about specific resources like cotton, wool, fabric, leather, plastic, wood, stone, concrete, oil, gas, coal etc, then these particular resources will treat be as uncountable.

Hi musunna,

I am sorry, I just edited my first question. I wrote it wrongly. I meaned as you said. However, my question is Official explanation is not the same I understand. Please read official explanation n since it is Official explanation of Manhantan; I always keep in mind that Manhantan almost gives correct explanation. So where is wrong?

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
S
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 736

Kudos [?]: 5755 [1] , given: 322

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 20:04
This post received
KUDOS
MGMAT’s contention that the word resources refers to a mass, meaning quantity, is untenable. After all, it is not referring to any single resource. There are so many of these alternative resources such as nuclear, wind, solar, geothermal, ocean current, biofuels and hydrogen energy developments in which research is being directed these days. In addition, a great number of something is a plural as pointed out by musanna. I would reckon A seems is more logical than C

Secondly I do not understand the emphasis given to the second ‘more’ in the choice; after all, a single more is good enough in to convey the formal meaning. This is redundancy IMO.

This is my personal opinion, although it is no reflection on the perception of MGMAT, which I regard. However, littlegirl deserves a big kudo for her deep research.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
B
Followers: 313

Kudos [?]: 858 [2] , given: 25

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 00:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
As an official Manhattan Prep representative, I will agree that this problem and explanation are flawed. The problem is nearly a decade old and was pulled from our tests quite a few years ago.

While the fault here is ours, this points to a problem I see all the time here on gmatclub. Studying from random problems found in online forums and sets is not terribly effective, especially since many of the problems in circulation are problematic. In some cases, there's a minor typo that creates confusion, while in others (like this one), there are content problems that might actually cause you to learn the wrong things. All too often, I see problems that bear little resemblance to official problems and have serious grammar errors in the supposedly correct answers.

So, all apologies for the flawed question, but this is one more reason to study from official materials! As for our CATs, rest assured that this problem has been out of the question pool for ages. I'm very picky, and I don't think I've seen an explanation like this for any of our SC problems in the six years I've been with the company. :)

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 5755 [1] , given: 322

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 00:37
This post received
KUDOS
Dmitry

Your admission is indeed heroic. That is why, we love MGMAT. Please accept my humble kudo as a mark of that regard

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Wharton Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 15

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 04:37
Hi DmitryFarber,
I apology for excavating a question which is no longer in the CAT pool. Actually it does not happen in my CAT Manhantan mocks but is from a source which my friend gave. I was thinking about that after posting this problem, but since I am not a native n not so good at SC GMAT so I just wana know where is wrong n if there is any wrong w my knowledge.
daagh : The same you. I love Manhantan too :-D

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
B
Followers: 313

Kudos [?]: 858 [0], given: 25

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 23:30
Thanks for the MPrep love, folks!

By the way, I should add that "more and more" is an accepted usage. It is used to show an increase over time (as opposed to a simple comparison). Here's one example:

more-and-more-in-recent-years-cities-are-stressing-the-arts-86568.html

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 5755 [0], given: 322

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 00:45
yes; I get it. Thanks for for the info

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 367

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 11:42
just find a very good article on common confusion. Thanks Magoosh, it will indeed a good help

http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-compa ... -vs-fewer/
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 367

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 11:45
Resources , with question how many, shows countable, hence greater is wrong, C is straight come out leaving the
confusion.
SVP
SVP
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Stanford '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 560 Q42 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 560 Q43 V24
GMAT 4: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 146

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2016, 16:31
littlegirl wrote:
As a result of the increasing volatility of oil prices, a greater number of resources are being directed toward the commercial development of alternative energy sources, such as wind, solar power, and biofuels.

A) a greater number of

B )greater numbers of

C) more and more

D) a greater amount of

E) an increasing level of

I have a question in the comment below so that people will not see OA in advance. Please help me out.

I could easily eliminate all but B and C.

in the non-underlined portion, we have X of resources are being directed
A a greater number (singular) of resources are directed - out
D same mistake
E same mistake

between B and C
it's not the numbers that are being directed, but the resources themselves...C wins..
Re: As a result of the increasing volatility of oil prices,   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2016, 16:31