It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 01:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Certain synthetically produced foods may lack nutritional

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 271 [1], given: 8

Certain synthetically produced foods may lack nutritional [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2011, 13:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

61% (02:13) correct 39% (02:00) wrong based on 100 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Certain synthetically produced foods may lack nutritional value if frequently exposed to pesticides; one reason is indicated by the discovery that there are far fewer disease-fighting micronutrients, called flavonoids, in plants that are chemically treated to prevent insect attacks than in plants that are allowed to repel insects naturally.

1) Certain synthetically produced foods may lack nutritional value if frequently exposed to pesticides; one reason is indicated by the discovery that there are far fewer disease-fighting micronutrients, called flavonoids, in plants that are chemically treated to prevent insect attacks than in plants that are allowed to repel insects naturally.

2) If frequently exposed to pesticides, one reason that certain synthetically produced foods may lack nutritional value is indicated by the discovery that there are far fewer disease-fighting micronutrients, called flavonoids, in plants that are chemically treated to prevent insect attacks than in plants that are allowed to repel insects naturally.

3) If frequently exposed to pesticides, one reason certain synthetically produced foods may lack nutritional value is indicated by the discovery that far fewer disease-fighting micronutrients, called flavonoids, are found in plants that are chemically treated to prevent insect attacks than those that are allowed to repel insects naturally .

4)The discovery that there are far fewer disease-fighting micronutrients, called flavonoids, in plants that are chemically treated to prevent insect attacks than in plants that are allowed to repel insects naturally is indicative of one reason, if frequently exposed to pesticides, that certain synthetically produced foods may lack nutritional value.

5) The discovery of disease-fighting micronutrients, called flavonoids, in plants with chemical treatments to prevent insect attacks than in those that are allowed to repel insects naturally indicates one reason certain synthetically produced foods may lack nutritional value if frequently exposed to pesticides.

Kudos [?]: 271 [1], given: 8

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC - 700 level - foods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2011, 16:57
Has to be A. All others have modifiers and meaning flaws

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2011, 00:13
IMO A.
B & C ->modifier error
D & E -> Sentence fragment

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Retired Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2011, 12:24
A.. Modifier errors in B,C
D-sentence fragment
E- "in plants with chemical treatments to prevent " -meaning??

what is the oA?

Retired Thread Master

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2011, 12:24
bschool83- thanks for posting some good questions

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.72
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2011, 13:38
Thanks, great Q. I chose A over D. Does D have a meaning issue?

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2011, 11:20
IMO A.

Many of the options have modifier issue

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 4

Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2011, 12:18
The structure of this question is identical to a question from the verbal supplement guide -- the blue color book. Question number 59 -- page 295 -- Identical structure to this question and even there choice A is correct.

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
G

Kudos [?]: 9039 [1], given: 1152

Re: Certain synthetically produced foods may lack nutritional [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2013, 17:48
This post received
KUDOS
After a PVT I will try to tackle this sentence, indeed really tough; I try to give my best :)

Ok. Here there is a premise how a sentence like this should be attacked (based on my experience).

Basically a question like this is best handled trying to spot suddenly the meaning of the sentence. In other words \(what\) and \(how\) the phrase comunicates the latter.

Try to semplificate the sentence in your own words ALWAYS.Break the same into chunks and in simple words, elimating the filler of this monster. (great question in my opinion)

Now

Certain synthetically produced foods may lack nutritional value if frequently exposed to pesticides; one reason is indicated by the discovery that there are far fewer disease-fighting micronutrients, called flavonoids, in plants that are chemically treated to prevent insect attacks than in plants that are allowed to repel insects naturally.

Certain synthetically produced foods may lack nutritional value if frequently exposed to pesticides until now everything is fine. X may lack of something if it is exposed to something else. FINE

next Step: from the previous statement we can derive something, and if we can do this we need a subject after the punctuation ;: fine the sentence starts good with the words: the reason

Then: is indicated by the discovery that there are far fewer disease-fighting micronutrients. Here I'm suspicious because almost always passive voice is wrong in gmat land BUT here if the reason is the subject THEN something else (by passive voice) have to explain ot to point out why this reason is the subject. In other words: the discovery indicates and explains in somehow what is the reason, the motivation of the lack of nutrients. Moreover, we can note the word fewer: whenever you see the word in the ens with ER you must know that some sort of comparison is forthcoming and later in the sentence must be finded a THAN

in plants that are chemically treated to prevent insect attacks than in plants that are allowed to repel insects naturally. here we areee: the than we are looking for.....in X we find somentng that in Y there isn't.

So tu sum up: scanning and breaking into chunks A all seems fine. Now we take a look to the other options, following the same pattern to attck the remaing questions

B) If frequently exposed to pesticides, one reason that certain synthetically produced foods may lack nutritional value is indicated by the discovery that there are far fewer disease-fighting micronutrients, called flavonoids, in plants that are chemically treated to prevent insect attacks than in plants that are allowed to repel insects naturally.

If frequently exposed to pesticides, one reason if something is exposed to what ?? gamma ray, maybe....NOT to a reason....is ridiculous.

C) If frequently exposed to pesticides, one reason certain synthetically produced foods may lack nutritional value is indicated by the discovery that far fewer disease-fighting micronutrients, called flavonoids, are found in plants that are chemically treated to prevent insect attacks than those that are allowed to repel insects naturally .

The same as above

D) The discovery that there are far fewer disease-fighting micronutrients, called flavonoids, in plants that are chemically treated to prevent insect attacks than in plants that are allowed to repel insects naturally is indicative of one reason, if frequently exposed to pesticides, that certain synthetically produced foods may lack nutritional value.

The discovery that there are far fewer disease-fighting micronutrients, called flavonoids, in plants that are chemically treated to prevent insect attacks than in plants that are allowed to repel insects naturally is indicative of one reason seems fine.......

if frequently exposed to pesticides, that certain synthetically produced foods may lack nutritional value. one reason if frequently exposed to pesticides.....WHATTT ????

E) The discovery of disease-fighting micronutrients, called flavonoids, in plants with chemical treatments to prevent insect attacks than in those that are allowed to repel insects naturally indicates one reason certain synthetically produced foods may lack nutritional value if frequently exposed to pesticides.

The discovery ...................indicates one reason certain synthetically produced foods may lack nutritional value if frequently exposed to pesticides.

X indicates one reason ??? mmmmmmmm weird. One reason...............certain synthetically produced foods: mmmm even more weird............

In my Opinion A doesn't have flaws. I hope my explanation is correct and helps you.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9039 [1], given: 1152

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 19:11
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 19:17
A is OA for 2 reasons.
1/ there are 2 independent clauses; each has own main subject -> E is wrong.
2/ "with" proves E is wrong.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

Re: Certain synthetically produced foods may lack nutritional   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2017, 19:17

Certain synthetically produced foods may lack nutritional

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap