Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 21:50 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Current Student
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Director
Director
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: Chicago GSB Lead Program [#permalink]
Thanks Rhyme, I am asking because of the essays. Something to discuss for the 1a and 2a questions.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Send PM
Also see: https://www.chicagogsb.edu/fulltime/acad ... /lead.aspx
And especially https://programs.chicagogsb.edu/lead/

From an older page: "LEAD builds interpersonal effectiveness through role playing, team building, and a host of other creative activities and experiences. We consider these interpersonal skills so critical to business that we require all full-time campus and International M.B.A. students to complete the class. Students are grouped in cohorts of about 50 and participate in all LEAD activities together. Cohorts build the camaraderie of shared experiences and a lasting network of friends and contacts."

Also: "LEAD’s mission is: Through skill-based, interactive curricula and programming, we advance students’ interpersonal effectiveness and foster relationships that last a lifetime." (Note: If you think that sentence is meaningless jargon filled sh*t, congrats, you are correct)

And in particular... (warning: the below is OLD... from 2006, it might not be 100% accurate)

Curriculum

Group Process

An intense experiential activity, this three-hour module is consistently ranked as one of the most popular LEAD sessions. Teams of students are given a challenging task and then videotaped as they work on the project. Students then analyze the team dynamics and their own contribution in a team environment, discussing feedback and observations in an individual coaching session with a second-year-facilitator. Students gain a very clear picture of their strengths and areas for development within a group context.
Everyday Leadership

Everyday Leadership provides students with an introductory discussion about leadership including a review of relevant research in the area.
Interpersonal Communications

Interpersonal Communications provides students with the building blocks of effective dialogue and interaction by helping to improve their awareness, listening, feedback, and performance management skills. Exercises are designed to develop attentiveness to communication tendencies and the impact of these tendencies, as well as how to manage interpersonal situations optimally.
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)

Using the Myers Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI), this session helps students analyze how individuals gather information and make decisions within a work context. Based upon the theories of Carl Jung, this interactive section helps students identify their own preferences as well as those of others.
Team Dynamics

This module provides the framework for analyzing group process and team dynamics, specifically addressing how to move through conflict and productivity. Students gain useful tools to diagnose where conflict or blind spots may occur within project teams and navigate successfully through process issues that can stymie their productivity.
Conflict Management

Leaders are faced with conflict situations daily, from minor disagreements to seriously disruptive situations. The ability to manage these conflicts whether they directly involve us or those around us is a critical skill for leaders in any setting. This module examines the behaviors typically present during conflict to help students better understand the short-term and long-term consequences of these behaviors, as well as how to effectively manage and resolve them.
Audience Captivation Training (ACT) Classroom & Seminar

During this three-hour seminar, students improve their presentation skills by addressing visual and vocal delivery, dialogue with the audience, and stage fright. Each student then signs up for a small group seminar outside of class. During this time, each student delivers a prepared speech, is videotaped and given personal feedback – leaving the seminar with a detailed action plan.
Decisions & Integrity

The module focuses on business ethics and provides an opportunity for students to implement decision-making processes and to see if they can collaboratively find solutions that all can live with in rather difficult circumstances. Testing both motivation skills, influencing skills, and relationship-building skills, squads must advocate a particular constituent’s point of view throughout two cases. Interactive case studies are provided as pre-work.
One-On-One Coaching Conversation

After Ethics, the LEAD program takes a break from formal class time and gives the facilitators an opportunity to provide personalized one-on-one performance feedback to each of their first year squad members. This half-hour coaching session gives students a comprehensive review of their individual LEAD skills and addresses a specific development plan for the future.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Rhyme, I am actually interested and am going in thinking I want to be a LEAD facilitator, primarily because leadership development is one of the things I want out of my MBA...I have had my leadership kinda training at work and they always give me that WTF feeling you mentioned.

However, am hoping LEAD will be something different. Firstly I think it is run under the supervision of Dean Stacey Kole, whom I have come to admire (already). Secondly, the course evaluations of LEAD show it is one of the highest rated courses at GSB..(should I even believe them?). Also, during the AW2 reception, Dean Kole gave a small speech highlighting the LEAD program..She mentioned some HBS case study on business schools (as a part of their centennial celebrations) and GSB leadership program was the best among the top business schools (couldn't find that case with a simple google search)..

I am thinking 'LEAD facilitator' because of the some of the plus points you mentioned and also because 1) LEAD facilitators form a good community 2) They get to know some first years really well 3) LEAD is looked upon positively by the recruiters (is this true?)

I would encourage applicants to write about LEAD, especially if you can find something unique and insightful about it. GSB is pretty high on LEAD and considers its program a differentiator..

ps: Rhyme, I still marvel at how much you write on this forum and still manage to keep it rational, structured and very very useful. Kudos. Just curious, is this a skill you picked up at GSB or have you always been a 'writer'? Are you equally good at doing powerpoint decks? BTW, is being able to write fast a big big plus when you do you cases/presentations at school etc?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Send PM
ujjib wrote:
Rhyme, I am actually interested and am going in thinking I want to be a LEAD facilitator, primarily because leadership development is one of the things I want out of my MBA...I have had my leadership kinda training at work and they always give me that WTF feeling you mentioned.

However, am hoping LEAD will be something different. Firstly I think it is run under the supervision of Dean Stacey Kole, whom I have come to admire (already). Secondly, the course evaluations of LEAD show it is one of the highest rated courses at GSB..(should I even believe them?). Also, during the AW2 reception, Dean Kole gave a small speech highlighting the LEAD program..She mentioned some HBS case study on business schools (as a part of their centennial celebrations) and GSB leadership program was the best among the top business schools (couldn't find that case with a simple google search)..

Those are all true. I don't recall the case, but the GSB did win some kind of award or get written up in an HBS case as particularly strong in leadership development. Stacey was certainly instrumental in the program, though the degree to which she is involved on a day to day basis - I don't know.

Quote:
I am thinking 'LEAD facilitator' because of the some of the plus points you mentioned and also because 1) LEAD facilitators form a good community 2) They get to know some first years really well 3) LEAD is looked upon positively by the recruiters (is this true?)

All true things. I can't speak to #3 really, but I'm sure it plays well in interviews. They also get paid a little bit of $, they get lots of free food, they get something like 40 hours of one-on-one private leadership development coaching with the staff, they get use of an office space, etc. They try to sell you on all this when it comes time to sign up.

Quote:
Rhyme, I still marvel at how much you write on this forum and still manage to keep it rational, structured and very very useful. Kudos. Just curious, is this a skill you picked up at GSB or have you always been a 'writer'? Are you equally good at doing powerpoint decks? BTW, is being able to write fast a big big plus when you do you cases/presentations at school etc?

I really think my writing here is pretty crap most of the time - very quick and dirty, often with spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, run on sentences, very stream-of-thought and disjointed, frequently verbose or repetitive... Nice to know that it still makes some half sense to people! Thanks.

I've always been a 'writer' -- in that I can write a lot of crap quickly without much effort. As for being helpful in school, I've never really thought about that, but now that you mention it... I guess it doesn't hurt. I suppose that it is helpful for some classes when you have to throw together a page on something every week. I can imagine that for some people thats a big task.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks rhyme, your insights are always valuable. I recall you telling me that it's either doing LEAD or TWO other things. I hope that the first quarter LEAD experience isn't too disappointing for me to change my mind about LEAD facilitator...I did make note of one other thing you said before...make a list of things you wanna do at bschool, and try not to waiver too much from it, as it is very easy to get carried away by the herd. I will need to balance it with another advice I keep getting from some current students - "the possibilities are endless...so keep an open mind coming in"

I ask about writing because, I seriously can't seem to write complete sentences anymore. It's been 5years since I was last in school, and the bschool essays are the only real stuff I wrote (and struggled mightily at it). I just end up thinking of everything in terms of slides and bullet points..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
btw, any new admits planning to keeping a public blog about your bschool life? I thought about it, but killed the idea immediately..Don't think I can make a honest commitment to it, and it really isn't worth much to write once a month.. :?

But I like reading blogs and found them pretty useful during App time..
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
ujjib wrote:
Thanks rhyme, your insights are always valuable. I recall you telling me that it's either doing LEAD or TWO other things. I hope that the first quarter LEAD experience isn't too disappointing for me to change my mind about LEAD facilitator...I did make note of one other thing you said before...make a list of things you wanna do at bschool, and try not to waiver too much from it, as it is very easy to get carried away by the herd. I will need to balance it with another advice I keep getting from some current students - "the possibilities are endless...so keep an open mind coming in"

I ask about writing because, I seriously can't seem to write complete sentences anymore. It's been 5years since I was last in school, and the bschool essays are the only real stuff I wrote (and struggled mightily at it). I just end up thinking of everything in terms of slides and bullet points..

You know that's great advice - I know in undergrad, going into school with some thought of what I wanted to do helped tremendously. If only I can remember that for the future - after the apps and stuff are done! :wink:

Is there a stickied thread somewhere (or should there be?) where those are in school can post misc bits of advice? I know some threads in the Life section talk about this kinda stuff....
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot