Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619043 [7]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619043 [3]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Re: Corporate Strategist: It is generally true that a reduction in the pri [#permalink]
I chose (e)

The first boldface represents the main point of the argument made by the Corporate Strategists saying that low prices for a luxury good may not convert to better sales, it will further weaken the brand. The second boldface is his reasoning and premise for the conclusion.

For (b), I don't think assumptions are explicitly stated. So it can't be the first boldface.
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1612 [0]
Given Kudos: 1679
Send PM
Re: Corporate Strategist: It is generally true that a reduction in the pri [#permalink]
Corporate Strategist: It is generally true that a reduction in the price of a good results in an increase in the demand for this product, leading to higher sales. However, I believe that the management’s strategy of stimulating the sales of our luxury cars by implementing a series of aggressive price reductions is seriously flawed. Dramatic price reductions on our luxury cars will erode the image of exclusivity and premium quality associated with these vehicles. If our cars become substantially cheaper, they will no longer represent the symbol of status and financial success, thus losing their main appeal to our customers.

Which of the following statements best describes the role of each portion in boldface in the argument above?

A. The first represents the main position of the corporate strategist; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that position. Incorrect

second is not against first

B. The first is an assumption made by the corporate strategist about the efficacy of the management’s strategy; the second is evidence that supports the strategist’s reasoning. Incorrect

first is not an assumption

C. The first is evidence supporting the main position of the corporate strategist; the second is that position. Incorrect

second is not main position

D. The first is evidence supporting the position of the corporate strategist; the second is a generalization that will not hold in the case at issue. Incorrect

second support first

E. The first is the main position of the corporate strategist; the second is evidence in support of that position. Correct
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
natp7 wrote:
I chose (e)

The first boldface represents the main point of the argument made by the Corporate Strategists saying that low prices for a luxury good may not convert to better sales, it will further weaken the brand. The second boldface is his reasoning and premise for the conclusion.

For (b), I don't think assumptions are explicitly stated. So it can't be the first boldface.

I figured my mistake

Assumptions aren't stated :please:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
I am confused between B and E.
Strategist 'believed' that the management's ............
Hence, I chose B instead of E as he is assuming something.

Where is the flaw in my reasoning?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Corporate Strategist: It is generally true that a reduction in the pri [#permalink]
Corporate Strategist: It is generally true that a reduction in the price of a good results in an increase in the demand for this product, leading to higher sales. However, I believe that [b]the management’s strategy of stimulating the sales of our luxury cars by implementing a series of aggressive price reductions is seriously flawed. Dramatic price reductions on our luxury cars will erode the image of exclusivity and premium quality associated with these vehicles. If our cars become substantially cheaper, they will no longer represent the symbol of status and financial success, thus losing their main appeal to our customers.

Which of the following statements best describes the role of each portion in boldface in the argument above?

A. The first represents the main position of the corporate strategist; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that position.

B. The first is an assumption made by the corporate strategist about the efficacy of the management’s strategy; the second is evidence that supports the strategist’s reasoning.

C. The first is evidence supporting the main position of the corporate strategist; the second is that position.

D. The first is evidence supporting the position of the corporate strategist; the second is a generalization that will not hold in the case at issue.

E. The first is the main position of the corporate strategist; the second is evidence in support of that position.

hey Bunuel,
thanks for this beautiful question with even more beautiful and competent answer options.

so here's how i went about this one:
I eliminated A B D straight away ( well sorry for my earlier claim - competent ans options .. haha )

between B and E, (really competent ans choices)
2nd part of both options is all right.
now the 1st BF is clearly an opinion/belief of the corporate strategist. and as you (and pretty much everyone who replied this post ) said an assumption is never explicitly stated in the argument rather it is always implicitly stated and So option B is clearly wrong in that it says 1st part of A is an assumption.

now I have made a generalized conclusion from the reasoning you provided to eliminate B.
- if you even come across a BF question in which any of the ans option says the 1st or 2nd BF is an assumption.... then eliminate that ans choice right away based on the logic that no assumptions can be the explicit part of the argument.

am right in drawing that conclusion?
GMAT Club Bot
Corporate Strategist: It is generally true that a reduction in the pri [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts