Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 19:26 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 19:26
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.48
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.48
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Current Student Blogs [#permalink]
FROM mybjourney: 100 days
That is exactly the number of days before the orientation for MBA class of 2016 begins at Oxford. Hell yeah! It’s all been happening so fast I’m sure these 100 days are also going to fly past in a jiffy. Before I know I’ll be walking through the gates of the hallowed institution with a dazed look and nervous footsteps, towards what shall be my abode for the next year and a brand for the rest of my life. Where I’ll step in with the fire to learn and from where I’ll walk out empowered to take on the bigger challenges. Sounds like kindergarten all over again, ain’t it? 

Melodrama aside, my plan for the next 100 days is to practically do nothing, and yet, there’s quite a lot to do still. I’ve moved back to my hometown, all my 4 years of stuff from Bangalore packed in boxes and stashed aside. Soon after I arrived, we drove to Kashmir, to our ancestral place and farmhouse. In the coming weeks I’ll be going through the mails and newsletters from SBS and also get started on documents needed for visa application. In the meantime, I also need to submit Financial Declaration to the school, only after which will they send across the CAS. CAS is needed to apply for student visa, I shall be writing in detail about visa application soon. 

Every single person I’ve interacted with lately has been telling me about how I’m never getting this free time ever again in life and how I should make the most of it – by basically relaxing. Speaking with current and former students I gather that there is not much to fret over the course work, which will be manageable in the campus and that I need not worry about that before the term begins. However the school has put up a list of recommended readings and a couple of mandatory pre-arrival formalities to be completed, which I shall need to go through. Top on the list is working on my CV and researching on what a good cover letter looks like. School’s career centre is also conducting a series of Webinars over the coming weeks to give an introduction into various career options and job application advice. I am looking forward to these sessions since currently I’m in a dilemma about my career progression ( I want to stay in the industry but that’s that ). 

But more than everything else, I am looking forward to spending my time with family and catching up on novels and movies, after so long. I think this is going to be my longest time spent at home since 2007 when I moved to my undergrad hostel. 

So here I am, sitting over this view from my patio, soaking in the lull before the storm!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Internship in California
Marta Szczerba makes the use of the app store in Palo Alto

Read more
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: How to evaluate your MBA professors
Timo Marquez argues class content is the most vital part of your investment

Read more
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM mybjourney: Accommodation, Tickets: Check
My lovely brother booked the flight tickets for this jobless broke girl. God bless elder siblings!

I’ll be landing to Heathrow in early September with my parents and we shall spend a couple of weeks at my brother’s place, before I head off for Oxford on September 20th (oritentation starts on 21st). The entire family will be together after over a year and we are quite excited. If my brother’s work schedule permits him some days off, we will make a short trip too. Cannot wait!

Signed my accommodation contract and sent it across to the college accommodation today. Rewley Abbey Court, with a distance of just about 200 mts from Saïd is going to be my abode for the next one year.

One upside of getting admitted early on in the admissions cycle is that you have ample options to choose from to secure college and accommodation. With GTC ( Green Templeton College ) being my first choice and a safe one for MBA students, there were enough on-site and off-campus accommodation options available. I wanted to stay as close to the school as possible, so that its easier to reach the school quickly in case I am running late. A long sleepy walk / ride to the school in sub zero temperatures during school is the last thing I want to worry about. And with the few extra minutes that I would save, I can always make use in grabbing some soon-to-be-a-rare-luxury sleep. ;)

The downside being that this is off the college premises, again limiting interaction with non-MBA scholars. Also that I didn’t have option for an ensuite room in shared flats at RAC. Having lived in an undergraduate hostel with 20 girls in my corridor with only a handful of washrooms to share with, I am prepared to live with anything!

I’ll be sharing a 2 BHK flat with a batchmate from India. We both are in touch over messages and she seems really nice. We both are excited and have been discussing on what all we will need to buy once we are there, mainly kitchen and utility items. The accommodation includes cooker and refrigerator, but would need to set up rest of the kitchen. The accommodation license has an elaborate instruction list on what is allowed and what is not in the flat. I will go through it in detail soon, specially for the electric and electronic items. Regardless, a couple of  will be pertinent to carry.

For those interested, there is a video of the 2BHK RAC flat on YouTube by Nick, the accommodation manager. This was immensely helpful for me before putting forth my application for accommodation with my preferred choice.

So with arrangements for accommodation and travel made, I need to get started on my Visa application asap!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
FROM Ambitiousbusinessguy: The business schools winning the student talent wars

Originally posted on Fortune:

(Poets&Quants) — Every year, the world’s top business schools engage in an all-out talent war for the best MBA applicants on the market. To coax the most desirable prospects to their campuses, they’ve employed alumni to serve as ambassadors, touted their programs and faculty, and used millions of dollars in scholarship money.

So, who’s winning the MBA student talent wars? A new survey of MBA admission consultants by Poets&Quants finds some very familiar business schools at the top, with some real surprises sprinkled throughout the list. Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business ekes out a slight win over Harvard Business School, while the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School is solidly third.

Perhaps more surprising is that admission consultants believe that two non-U.S. business schools, INSEAD and London Business School, are among the top 10 in the world for landing the best candidates in the MBA applicant pool. In…

View original 1,336 more words

SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Live Q&A: MBA admissions part three

In the third part of our live series with guest expert Chioma Isiadinso, co-founder of consultancy Expartus and former admissions officer at Harvard Business School, we continue answering questions submitted by students interested in applying to business school.

Join in on Thursday, 23rd July 2015, between 2pm and 3pm BST. To submit questions, email ask@ft.com or use the right-hand side of this post.

Other posts in the series:

Part one

Part two

Read more
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
FROM Ambitiousbusinessguy: The MBA Job Market in US – On-campus recruiting is up

Originally posted on Job Market Monitor:

74% of respondents experienced increased on-campus recruiting this year compared to the same time last year; 11% experienced a decrease.

The strongest increase in recruiting activity was seen in the Consulting industry.

MBA CSEA surveys our school members twice per year to gauge the status of MBA recruiting at their schools compared to the previous year. The results are a glimpse into the current status of the MBA employment market and can be used for comparision and reports to interested stakeholders.

Chosen excerpts by Job Market Monitor. Read the whole story at MBACSEA.

View original

SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Summer delights
Philippa Rock makes the most of her free time in Alaska and the US

Read more
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Meet the class of 2016
Incoming students share their experience so far

Read more
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Coming to grits
The 2015 Pan American Games and more than 6,000 athletes have come to Toronto. With them they have brought a great positive vibe and it made me think of my own former time as a competitive hockey player.
Read more
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Live Q&A: MBA admissions part four
Interested in applying for an MBA? In the fourth and final part of our live Q&A series with guest expert Chioma Isiadinso, co-founder of consultancy Expartus and former admissions officer at Harvard Business School, she will answer questions from prospective students interested in applying for an MBA.

Take part in the Q&A this Thursday, 30th July, from 2 to 3pm, BST. Send your questions on the right-hand side of this post or email ask@ft.com.

Please view other posts in this series: part one; part two; and part three.

Read more
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: The internship
Piyush Jain talks about his internship at Epson, the electronics company

Read more
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
FROM mybjourney: Tier 4 Student Visa (from India)
Back to hometown after a short trip to New Delhi for my visa appointment. Whoever tells you that the toughest part gets over once you get an admit is SO wrong! Either that or he never needed to apply for visa.

The application is a bit of a task in itself. For UK Visa application in India, unlike visa app for USA, on the day of your appointment you submit at the application centre what you feel is your best prepared application and then can only wait for weeks in dreaded anticipation before you hear from embassy about their decision. Almost like an encore of your B school application!

For the benefit for first timers, I’m outlining the process to be followed to apply for Tier 4 Student (General) Visa (Make sure to diligently go through the detailed guidelines laid out here on GOV.UK  and here on Oxford’s site)

• You will need to register at Visa4UK with your e-mail address. The application can be filled in multiple sessions until submission, post which you will not be allowed to make changes to your application. Make sure to keep saving from time to time, else you’ll have to fill in the details all over again, which can get quite frustrating.
  • The application itself would not take more than 30 minutes if you have all documents handy. You’ll need to fill in your personal details as per your passport (including that of your parents), travel history from past 10 years, education details, and declaration of maintenance funds.
  • Fill in CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance Acceptance for Studies) details provided by the University. Note that the CAS document should not be issued before 3 months prior to the start of your course. Also, the CAS has a unique number that can be used only once. In an unlikely event that your visa application gets rejected, you will need to request for a fresh CAS number to reapply. The document also specifies details on sponsor university’s license, course of study, documents used to assess your qualification as well as fees due towards the course. You will need all these details to fill in the application accurately.
  • Provide information on source of funds – loan letter, personal savings, funds from parents etc. This includes any remaining tuition fees and living costs (minimum 820 GBP per month for Oxford).
  • Select Biometric Resident Permit (BRP) collection centre. Once your visa is issued, you are given a 30 day vignette (from your travel date) that you need to show to collect your resident permit. Oxford has made provision to collect the BRP from the campus during orientation week, but since I am flying in earlier and BRP needs to be collected within 10 days of flying I would need to go to the post office to do the same. 
  • Submit application and book appointment slot. This will be followed with payments to be made towards Immigration Health Surcharge IHS (225 GBP) and Visa processing fees. IHS payment varies depending on length and type of visa, and can be calculated using this link.
Documents to carry along  for Visa appointment :

• Passport
  • Latest photograph according to UK visa guidelines 
  • University admission letter 
  • CAS mail from the university 
  • Proof of funds 
  • IHS reference number 
  • Tuberculosis test report 
  • Previous degree (based on which CAS was issued) 
It’s a smooth process, gets over in about an hour. Make sure to not carry any eatables in your bag (yours truly did and had to grudgingly offer them to the security). You’re allotted a token number and while you wait for your turn you need to fill a couple of forms with your personal details and list of documents being submitted.

If you want your documents to be sent back to your home in lieu of personal pick up, you can request for courier after paying certain amount (flatly refused for my state, why VFS why???)

Once your token number is called out, you move to the allotted counter and submit your documents. The staff will go through the bundle and ask you a couple of questions to confirm your identity. Make sure you submit all documents in original to be on the safer side (recently heard of a friend whose visa got rejected because she submitted a notarised copy of her degree certificate?!!).

You are then proceeded for the biometric test and a short video interview. My interview was warm and friendly. The interviewer asked me a few questions about my background and reason behind pursuing MBA and choosing Oxford as my preferred place of study. I assume the interview is done to ascertain your identity and that you are fit to study in the UK with regards to your command over English and study plans.

Barring a tiny moment of panic where the staff pointed out to me that I should’ve carried a No Objection Letter from my parents since I was showing funds from a joint account, the process was extremely smooth for me. It had not occurred to me – and I had read the guidelines multiple times – that I would need an authorisation from my parents if I was a joint holder. The staff was quite helpful though and suggested that I manage to get the letter after my video interview in half an hour’s time. The following 30 minutes were the biggest adventure for me during my uneventful unemployed pre-MBA life. Sprinting around the market on call with parents who were at our farmhouse in a remote countryside, with both parties searching for a nearby internet cafe and finally managing to make it back just in time before they shut the doors – it was quite an experience!

I have subscribed to SMS alerts on the status of my visa application. Last checked my phone for the 87th time, there’s been no update apart from “Your visa application xxxxxxx was forwarded to UKVI”.  The next one better be “Your visa is issued, please come over to collect your passport and we are more than happy to enclose a ticket to Platform 9 3/4 for you!”

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Send PM