Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 05:58 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 05:58
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51726 [21]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6322 [2]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.87
WE:Sales (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2802 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: CVTs should be the transmission of choice for car buyers looking to ow [#permalink]
karanchamp1 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
CVTs should be the transmission of choice for car buyers looking to own a car over a longer time frame. While slightly less cost efficient to operate than manual automobile transmissions, continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) offset that loss through lower production costs. CVTs enable the engine to run at its most efficient speed for a range of output speeds. When power is more important than economy, the ratio of the CVT can be changed to allow the engine to turn at the RPM at which it produces greatest power.

The argument above assumes which of the following?

Ⓐ There are transmissions less expensive to repair than CVTs.

Ⓑ CVTs have become the most popular choice for car buyers.

Ⓒ Repair or replacement cost for CVTs are not likely to exceed the CVT production cost savings.

Ⓓ CVTs can generate more power than manual transmissions at the same number of RPMs.

Ⓔ CVTs are not significantly less cost efficient to operate than manual transmissions.

My approach:
Choices A B C D E
Between C and D
Applying negation test
(C)  Repair or replacement cost for CVTs are LIKELY to exceed the CVT production cost savings.
This will break the first claim made in support of CVT by the argument
"While slightly less cost efficient to operate than MAT ...offset that loss through lower production costs"

(D) CVTs can NOT generate more power than manual transmissions at the same number of RPMs.
This will break the second claim made in support of CVT by the argument
"CVTs enable the engine to run at its most efficient speed for a range of output speeds. When power is more important than economy, the ratio of the CVT can be changed to allow the engine to turn at the RPM at which it produces greatest power"

Both options C and D when negated break the reasoning of the argument,so both are assumptions made by the argument.
So,I'm stuck :roll:
How do you choose between C and D??

Dont complicate the argument so much. Easy :wink:

CVTs are slightly less cost efficient to operate than manual automobile transmissions, and offset that loss through lower production costs. ..............This indicates that inorder to prefer CVTs, we need to assume that there are no more unexpected costs/surprises

Thus 
Quote:
Repair or replacement cost for CVTs are not more than or less than the CVT production cost savings.

If you negate it, then conclusion that CVTs should be the transmission of choice for car buyers does not make sense.

Option D is incorrect by itself.
CVTs can generate more power than manual transmissions at the specific RPM not at the same number of RPMs..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: CVTs should be the transmission of choice for car buyers looking to ow [#permalink]
Can someone please clarify why answer choice C is correct and not answer choice E? I have a few problems with this question.

For one, there would be nothing wrong if the savings from using CVT were nullified by the use of CVT repair or replacement parts. The argument is comparing production vs. operating costs and does not in any way mention repair costs in the stimulus. We don't have any knowledge of the replacement cost of manual transmission. Maybe it costs just as much to repair manual transmissions. In such a case using CVT would still be a preferred option. I fail to see how C is an assumption that must be true for the argument to hold.

Answer choice E directly contradicts a statement in the stimulus. Now from this type of statement you can immediately tell that it isn't from a GMAC source since official questions never have statements that directly contradict a premise in the stimulus (if such a problem exists please refer me to it). The truth is that if this statement were not true the entire argument would fall apart, a behavior true of argument assumptions.

Thus, I do think that answer choice E should be the correct answer to this question, even though I honestly feel the question was not written in a manner consistent with GMAC.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Can someone explain why E is wrong ?
It is stated in the passage that the CVTs are less cost-efficient but it is not explicitly stated how much.
If CVTs are significantly less cost efficient then there is no reason to choose them instead of the manual ones.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
arven wrote:
Can someone explain why E is wrong ?
It is stated in the passage that the CVTs are less cost-efficient but it is not explicitly stated how much.
If CVTs are significantly less cost efficient then there is no reason to choose them instead of the manual ones.

Reasoning behind it for me was that this is an assumption question. We are given a premise that there is a " slightly less cost " efficiency for the CVTs, therefore the author did not have to assume anything.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts