GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 19:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

CVTs should be the transmission of choice for car buyers looking to ow

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
CVTs should be the transmission of choice for car buyers looking to ow  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Sep 2018, 06:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (02:24) correct 38% (02:27) wrong based on 524 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

CVTs should be the transmission of choice for car buyers looking to own a car over a longer time frame. While slightly less cost efficient to operate than manual automobile transmissions, continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) offset that loss through lower production costs. CVTs enable the engine to run at its most efficient speed for a range of output speeds. When power is more important than economy, the ratio of the CVT can be changed to allow the engine to turn at the RPM at which it produces greatest power.

The argument above assumes which of the following?

Ⓐ There are transmissions less expensive to repair than CVTs.

Ⓑ CVTs have become the most popular choice for car buyers.

Ⓒ Repair or replacement cost for CVTs are not likely to exceed the CVT production cost savings.

Ⓓ CVTs can generate more power than manual transmissions at the same number of RPMs.

Ⓔ CVTs are not significantly less cost efficient to operate than manual transmissions.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Originally posted by souvik101990 on 08 Dec 2016, 02:49.
Last edited by Bunuel on 16 Sep 2018, 06:14, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: CVTs should be the transmission of choice for car buyers looking to ow  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2016, 08:15
souvik101990 wrote:
CVTs should be the transmission of choice for car buyers looking to own a car over a longer time frame. While slightly less cost efficient to operate than manual automobile transmissions, continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) offset that loss through lower production costs. CVTs enable the engine to run at its most efficient speed for a range of output speeds. When power is more important than economy, the ratio of the CVT can be changed to allow the engine to turn at the RPM at which it produces greatest power.

Ⓒ Repair or replacement cost for CVTs are not likely to exceed the CVT production cost savings.

Ⓓ CVTs can generate more power than manual transmissions at the same number of RPMs.

Ⓔ CVTs are not significantly less cost efficient to operate than manual transmissions.

I'll try this one :-D IMO C

A. There are transmissions less expensive to repair than CVTs.
This information is expressed in the passage.

B. CVTs have become the most popular choice for car buyers.
Irrelevant.

C. Repair or replacement cost for CVTs are not likely to exceed the CVT production cost savings.
This choice seems good one. The passage said that CVTs offset the loss in operating cost by lower production cost, means that CVT production cost savings will cover the higher cost in repair or replacement for CVTs, in comparison with manual transmission.

D. CVTs can generate more power than manual transmissions at the same number of RPMs.
Incorrect. CVTs can't generate power but they can allow the engine to generate power.

E. CVTs are not significantly less cost efficient to operate than manual transmissions.
This information is already expressed in the passage

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.87
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)
Re: CVTs should be the transmission of choice for car buyers looking to ow  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2016, 08:47
souvik101990 wrote:

My approach:
Choices A B C D E
Between C and D
Applying negation test
(C)  Repair or replacement cost for CVTs are LIKELY to exceed the CVT production cost savings.
This will break the first claim made in support of CVT by the argument
"While slightly less cost efficient to operate than MAT ...offset that loss through lower production costs"

(D) CVTs can NOT generate more power than manual transmissions at the same number of RPMs.
This will break the second claim made in support of CVT by the argument
"CVTs enable the engine to run at its most efficient speed for a range of output speeds. When power is more important than economy, the ratio of the CVT can be changed to allow the engine to turn at the RPM at which it produces greatest power"

Both options C and D when negated break the reasoning of the argument,so both are assumptions made by the argument.
So,I'm stuck :roll:
How do you choose between C and D??
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2016, 06:14
karanchamp1 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

My approach:
Choices A B C D E
Between C and D
Applying negation test
(C)  Repair or replacement cost for CVTs are LIKELY to exceed the CVT production cost savings.
This will break the first claim made in support of CVT by the argument
"While slightly less cost efficient to operate than MAT ...offset that loss through lower production costs"

(D) CVTs can NOT generate more power than manual transmissions at the same number of RPMs.
This will break the second claim made in support of CVT by the argument
"CVTs enable the engine to run at its most efficient speed for a range of output speeds. When power is more important than economy, the ratio of the CVT can be changed to allow the engine to turn at the RPM at which it produces greatest power"

Both options C and D when negated break the reasoning of the argument,so both are assumptions made by the argument.
So,I'm stuck :roll:
How do you choose between C and D??

Dont complicate the argument so much. Easy :wink:

CVTs are slightly less cost efficient to operate than manual automobile transmissions, and offset that loss through lower production costs. ..............This indicates that inorder to prefer CVTs, we need to assume that there are no more unexpected costs/surprises

Thus 
Quote:
Repair or replacement cost for CVTs are not more than or less than the CVT production cost savings.

If you negate it, then conclusion that CVTs should be the transmission of choice for car buyers does not make sense.

Option D is incorrect by itself.
CVTs can generate more power than manual transmissions at the specific RPM not at the same number of RPMs..
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Wharton '18 (S)

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2016, 12:19
Can someone please clarify why answer choice C is correct and not answer choice E? I have a few problems with this question.

For one, there would be nothing wrong if the savings from using CVT were nullified by the use of CVT repair or replacement parts. The argument is comparing production vs. operating costs and does not in any way mention repair costs in the stimulus. We don't have any knowledge of the replacement cost of manual transmission. Maybe it costs just as much to repair manual transmissions. In such a case using CVT would still be a preferred option. I fail to see how C is an assumption that must be true for the argument to hold.

Answer choice E directly contradicts a statement in the stimulus. Now from this type of statement you can immediately tell that it isn't from a GMAC source since official questions never have statements that directly contradict a premise in the stimulus (if such a problem exists please refer me to it). The truth is that if this statement were not true the entire argument would fall apart, a behavior true of argument assumptions.

Thus, I do think that answer choice E should be the correct answer to this question, even though I honestly feel the question was not written in a manner consistent with GMAC.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 2.9
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2016, 13:11
Can someone explain why E is wrong ?
It is stated in the passage that the CVTs are less cost-efficient but it is not explicitly stated how much.
If CVTs are significantly less cost efficient then there is no reason to choose them instead of the manual ones.

+1 Kudos if you like the post :)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2016, 15:34
arven wrote:
Can someone explain why E is wrong ?
It is stated in the passage that the CVTs are less cost-efficient but it is not explicitly stated how much.
If CVTs are significantly less cost efficient then there is no reason to choose them instead of the manual ones.

Reasoning behind it for me was that this is an assumption question. We are given a premise that there is a " slightly less cost " efficiency for the CVTs, therefore the author did not have to assume anything.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 05:12
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: CVTs should be the transmission of choice for car buyers looking to ow &nbs [#permalink] 16 Sep 2018, 05:12

CVTs should be the transmission of choice for car buyers looking to ow

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap