Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 05:09 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Can you paste the link to the BW topic in question?
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
batchgmat wrote:

Yep, let me find it.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Cannot find it now...oh well. I was just curious. Anyone know if Darden does release as decisions are made or wait till the D-day?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I believe they wait for D-Day and call some admits the a day or two before changing the online status.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
batchgmat wrote:

Here is the link:
https://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=34&nav=messages&webtag=bw-bschools&tid=71022

Third post down from top.[/url]
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
(Sorry, I forgot to reply earlier, work has got me nuts lately!)

Hmm, it looks like it might be for international students? Not sure, however.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
You will receive some small gifts from Darden after admited.... Beautiful gift.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
[quote="GMATcram"]You will receive some small gifts from Darden after admited.... Beautiful gift.[/quote]

meaning? or is it confidential??
just had my status changed email...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
antapple wrote:
meaning? or is it confidential??
just had my status changed email...

No Victoria.......No secret. Do you get an offer? You will know later.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
What's with the vagueness? Was you admitted?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
No offer...
Just Under review...
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I was invited for an on-campus interview today!

As those of you that applied are aware, Darden interivews all applicants that are willing to travel to campus. I wasn't able to go there during the period prior to submitting my application. I was really busy with applications, and that's also the busiest time of the year for my business; so I went ahead and submitted my application for consideration without an interview.

Anyhow, as I understand it, Darden invites a small number of applicants to interview on campus during the application process. I have read that they invite people that they are basically ready to admit, in order to gauge the applicant's interest in the school. I'm very interested so I will be interviewing with them in the next week or so before decisions come out. (This is for domestic applicants, I think the process is a little different for international).

From past experience, I know that the school and campus are beautiful and the weather is agreeable. After 3 years of law school, I'm well equipped to deal with the case-study method so that should be right up my alley. I also know from the reception in SF that the people are great. I just need to find out what it's like to attend business school in a somewhat remote environment.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm back home after interviewing at Darden. In light of what happened after my interview with Columbia, I will reserve my interview report until after decisions come out next week - I don't want to jinx myself again.

I will say that the campus was very nice, as I had remembered form past visits.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
If faced with Darden vs. Duke, which school would you go with?
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
That would be a really tough decision and I would need some more time to think about it (and I haven't been admitted to Darden yet). I actually received my Darden invite the same day that the Duke decisions were released, so I've been spending most of the past week preparing for my Darden visit. Darden decisions are due out on Friday, and the Adcom I met with suggested that I should know before that, so I will probably just take it easy for a few days, see what happens there and then start digging and analyzing in earnest to decide between the schools.

My thoughts are currently something like this, but I'll need to dig deeper and refine before my final decisions:

1. I like Darden's west coast alumni better. Darden threw the best info session of any school I met with (back in the fall). Their Dean attended, along with a 20 alumni to greet about 30-40 perspective students. They were a very enthusiastic bunch as well. Quite a few alums were in important positions with banks, venture funds and in-house tech investment funds. I also had a positive experience at Duke's info session. The brought a current student (on break I guess) and a professor. I did observe that the alumni that attended were recent grads. I'm not sure if the alumni base is smaller, or less engaged, but Darden definitely mustered a more impressive group.

2. I think Duke has some positive momentum in the rankings. I keep going back and forth on how much weight I should put on this. Obviously, nobody wants to hold a degree that "devalues" 10 years down the line. It would be great to be part of a program on the rise. On the other hand, I think it's a mistake to try to "momentum invest" when deciding on a school. It may seem that Duke has momentum, but I don't honestly think we can predict what things will look like in 10-20 years. We have all heard so many things about so many different schools; Michigan is going up with their new building, Yale is going up because of their new curriculum, Cornell is going up because of their new focus programs, Chicago is going to be a fixture at the top because of their new BW ranking and new facilities etc. It seems that pretty much every school is headed up in the rankings because of recent developments and it just doesn't make sense that every program is going to be ranked higher 5, 10, 20 years from now; and more importantly I think it's impossible to predict. Generally speaking, I think that Darden and Duke will always stay very close in terms of rankings, prestige, job opportunities, etc.; the one factor that could really change things is a huge pile of money.

3. I have to keep reminding myself that I hate Duke basketball, but I have nothing against Fuqua :) I have spent time around both Charlottesville and the RTP area and they are both very nice. For me, I think the key difference is that most Duke students don't live in RTP, they must live around Durham which isn't really very nice and there isn't much to do in the immediate area (Chapel Hill is great though). On the other hand, there is a lot of housing within a few minutes of Darden, and there is easy access to the local college town.

4. I haven't yet formed an opinion on which learning style I prefer. My law school background probably means that I will have an easy time with the case-study method (especially compared with people with IT, engineering and science backgrounds). I actually think that with my reading & writing skills, I might required just 1/2 to 1/3 the amount of prep time compared with the average engineer in a case study environment, but I do have some question as to whether that is the best choice for all class situations. I think that the team Fuqua concept is great, but I'm not really a rah-rah type and I wonder if I'll be happy in that environment. In either case, I don't think the educational style will be a huge influence on my decisions (I'm willing to deal with whatever it is at any of the schools I applied to).

So, I still have a lot of thinking to do. First, I need to get an admit from Darden before I will spend much more time thinking about it. Also, an admit from UCLA would change the though process, and I'm still waiting on Berkeley and Stanford (losing hope there actually). Money might be a factor as well, though that is way down on my list of priorities at this point.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Any admit for R3? Still radio silence for me...

ghibi!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Not a word from it.

I have a feeling that they will put me on the waitlist as I lacked enthusiasm on the program during my interview....

We will see.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2