Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:42 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33030 [4]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 800 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: Suppose that Dog-o-Rama provides day care for 30 dogs and regular groo [#permalink]
48 and 17

This one got my head spinning as none of the combinations were working. Then i thought to try this with inequality. I assume this solution is correct, but not sure.

Given:
day_care = 30 dogs
regular_grooming = 24 dogs

either_day_care_or_grooming = day_care + regular_grooming - both_day_care_and_grooming

either_day_care_or_grooming = 54 - both_day_care_and_grooming

at this point i assume everyone would have come. but no matter what value you pick for 2 unknown variables, equality will not be measured. let's try inequality.

with some logical thinking, we can assume, both_day_care_and_grooming < min(30,24) or can we write this as,

both_day_care_and_grooming < 24
here options in table may help us. we can narrow down value for this variable to 17.
=> both_day_care_and_grooming = 17

Now, coming back to our equation
either_day_care_or_grooming = 54 - 17 = 37

37 not there in table, i can feel you. Let's apply some logic again
either_day_care_or_grooming > max(37,24)
=> either_day_care_or_grooming must be greater than 37, AND either_day_care_or_grooming must be less than or equal to 54(calculated above)
only one option in table, 48.

This was tough for me. Please correct the solution if i am wrong.

Originally posted by p456 on 07 Oct 2023, 13:52.
Last edited by p456 on 08 Oct 2023, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: Suppose that Dog-o-Rama provides day care for 30 dogs and regular groo [#permalink]
the maximum 24+30=54 can receive either services. The maximum value we can choose from the option is 48.The maximum number of dogs that can receive both the services is 24. 17 is the maximum available from the option. So (d,a) is the answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT Focus 1:
615 Q79 V82 DI80
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
Kudos
Let a be the number of dogs who received only day care.
Let b be the number of dogs who received only regular grooming.
Let c be the number of dogs who received both day care and regular grooming.
Here a, b and c will be non negative integers.

Dog-o-Rama provides day care for 30 dogs and regular grooming for 24 dogs.
This can be translated as a + b = 30 let's call this equation 1, and b + c = 24, let's call this equation 2.

Column 1: Select the row that displays the largest number of dogs at Dog-o-Rama that are receiving either day care or regular grooming.

We need to maximize the value of a + c in order to answer column 1.

Adding equation 1 and 2 we get a + 2b + c = 54.
Therefore, a + c = 54 - 2b. Let's call this equation 3.

To maximize equation 3 we need to reduce the value of 2b. i.e. reduce the value of b.
The minimum value b can take is 0. Therefore, the maximum value a + c can take is 54. Hence we can eliminate two options 56 and 60.

We also, see that 54 is not one of the options, hence we also need some other constraint to get the answer.
If we close look at equation 3, we see that 54 is an even number and 2b is also an even number. Recalling Even / Odd concepts Even - Even = Even.
Therefore, out of the 4 remaining options we need to eliminate odd numbers. Post POE we see that the only option remains which is 48.

Hence, the largest number of dogs at Dog-o-Rama that are receiving either day care or regular grooming from the given option choices is 48.

Therefore, there are 48 dogs at Dog-o-Rama that are receiving either day care or regular grooming and 3 dogs at Dog-o-Rama that are receiving both day care and regular grooming.

Column 2: Select the row that displays the largest number of dogs at Dog-o-Rama that are receiving both day care and regular grooming.

We need to maximize the value of b.

From equation 3 we get b = (54 - a - c)/2.
This can be simplified as b = 27 - (a+c)/2.

To maximize the value of b we need to reduce the value of a + c.
The minimum value a + c can take is 0. Hence the maximum value b can take is 27. Which is one of the options.
However, looking closely at equation 2, we see that b + c = 24 and both b and c are non negative. Hence the maximum value b can take is 24 which is not an option. However, there is only one option which is lesser than 24 i.e. row 1 (17).

Hence the largest number of dogs at Dog-o-Rama that are receiving both day care and regular grooming from the given option choices is 17.

Therefore, there are 17 dogs at Dog-o-Rama that are receiving both day care and regular grooming and 20 dogs at Dog-o-Rama that are receiving either day care or regular grooming.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33030 [0]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

The correct answers are 48 dogs receiving either day care or grooming and 17 dogs receiving both day care and grooming.

Altogether, 54 dogs are receiving day care and grooming services (30 day care and 24 grooming). The number 54 is not given in the table, and 56 is too large. The number 48 is the next largest number, so 48 is correct.

The largest number of dogs that could possibly be receiving both day care and regular grooming is 24. This would be the case if all 24 dogs receiving grooming were also receiving day care. However, the number 24 is not included in the table. The number 17 is the next largest number, so 17 is correct.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92990 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1030 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11184 posts