Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:09 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33039 [3]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT Focus 1:
615 Q79 V82 DI80
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
Re: I write this, my last Will and Testament, to determine the division of [#permalink]
Part 1: Mrs. Lands's four children will receive more than $1 million each when the estate is settled.

Total value of assests = 227 + 552 + 509 + 442 + 139 = 1469K

Total value of expenes = 100 + 100 + 100 + 100 = 400K
(100K for settling of affairs, 100K donated to the Children's Hospital and Trial Medical Clinic, 100K is to be donated to local cancer charities, and 100K is to be donated to the creation of an entirely new exhibit at the Landers Field Zoo.)

Remaining value (to be distributed among all her children) = 1069K

Hence, the answer is No.

Part 2: The total estate is valued at more than $3 million.

Total value of assests = 227 + 1300+ 509 + 442 + 139 = 2617K

The real estate is now valued at 1.3 Million and that's the only change in valuation.

Hence, the answer is No.

Part 3: Mrs. Lands had more than three sources of investment income at the time of her retirement.

Sources of income:

1. Stocks and Bond Portfolio
2. Savings, CD, Money Market
3. Other Funds & Assets

Therefore, a total of 3 sources of investment income.

Hence, the answer is No.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 801 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: I write this, my last Will and Testament, to determine the division of [#permalink]
A. Mrs. Lands's four children will receive more than $1 million each when the estate is settled.

Total value = $ 1.75 million (approx as per Tab # 2)) + $ 1.3 million (mother's home) = $ 2.05 million

Total Donation (Tab#1) = $ 0.4 million

Remaining ( for four children) = $ 1.65 million (for four children)

hence, Mrs. Lands's four children will receive less than $1 million each when the estate is settled

NO is the correct answer

B. The total estate is valued at more than $3 million.

Total value = $ 1.75 million (approx as per Tab # 2)) + $ 1.3 million (mother's home) = $ 2.05 million

NO is the correct answer

C. Mrs. Lands had more than three sources of investment income at the time of her retirement.

Mrs. Lands had five sources of investment income (as per Tab # 2) , besides the home.

YES is the correct answer
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33039 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

Statement 1: The total value of the estate is $3,169,000. Mrs. Lands made significant contributions to several charities in her will, pushing the total value to just under $3 million, which must be divided between her four children. They will receive less than $1 million each.

Statement 2: The total value of the estate is $3,169,000. This is found by adding the value of all of Mrs. Lands's liquid assets together, along with the value of her domicile.

Statement 3: Mrs. Lands did have more than three sources of investment income at the time of her death, but the documents of her will and estate do not specify when the investments were made, so it cannot be assumed that she had them at the time of her retirement.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33039 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone!

OA to this question is:

No, Yes, and No

Official explanation is also posted.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Sajjad1994 explanation for third is not at all clear. If she had more than three sources till death then we have the answer . How will time of investments made help??? And when did she have the estate and liquid assets - isn’t it from her will time to death? So if that’s the case then anyway we know that she had more than 3

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Elite097 wrote:
Sajjad1994 explanation for third is not at all clear. If she had more than three sources till death then we have the answer . How will time of investments made help??? And when did she have the estate and liquid assets - isn’t it from her will time to death? So if that’s the case then anyway we know that she had more than 3

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Elite097

Let me see if i can explain. Suppose Mrs Shirley Lands was 75 years old. Till 75, she did not have any liquid assets except savings account. It was a month of January. She decided to invest in stocks, life insurance and other liquid assets. She invested on 15th of January. Then she died exactly 10 minutes after or other day(i am being ruthless, sorry for that, but i suppose this is what explanation meant). As a result, her Will did not get updated and main part, we don't know what time investments were made. So there is a possibility that she could have enjoyed retirement benefits or she could not have(so pity of her).

I assume this what the explanation by Sajjad1994 meant. Let me know if it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
I dont agree with third one , Even real estate is an investment , the value has appreciated and it wont be sold less than 1.3 million dollars .
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93007 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1030 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11187 posts