Last visit was: 06 Oct 2024, 01:11 It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 01:11
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Own Kudos [?]: 852 [97]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [32]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 36604 [27]
Given Kudos: 333
Send PM
General Discussion
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [1]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Each of 12 people chose an integer from 1 to 5, inclusive. Did at leas [#permalink]
Kudos
Sallyzodiac
Each of 12 people chose an integer from 1 to 5, inclusive. Did at least one person choose the number 1?

1) No number was chosen by more than 3 people.

2) More people chose the number 5 than the number 4.

Statement 1. 3 people choose 2, 3 choose 3, 3 choose 4 and 3 choose 5. Hence the answer is No. Another scenario. 1 person choose 1, 2 people choose 2, 3 choose 3, 3 choose 4 and 3 choose 5. Then asnwer is Yes. Insufficient
Statement 2. 11 people choose 5 and 1 person choose 4. Answer is NO. Or 10 people choose 5, 1 choose 4 and 1 choose 1. Answer is Yes. Insufficient.
Both statements together. If number of people who choose 5 is more than number of people who choose 4 and maximum number of people to choose any number is 3 then 1 person is left out and can only choose 1. Sufficient
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 124
Send PM
Re: Each of 12 people chose an integer from 1 to 5, inclusive. Did at leas [#permalink]
anox
Quote:
Each of 12 people chose an integer from 1 to 5, inclusive. Did at least one person choose the number 1?

1) No number was chosen by more than 3 people.

2) More people chose the number 5 than the number 4.

The language in (1) threw me off and I was not able to understand what was going on in the question.
For someone who is also confused by it, all it says that "a number can not be selected more than 3 times".

With that in mind, here is the solution:

(1) The constraint is that no number can be selected more than 3 times.

Case 1: Is it possible that 1 is not selected at all with this constraint?
Yes, that is possible. 12 people can pick numbers { 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5 } and still meet the constraint in the condition.

Case 2: Is it possible that 1 is selected at least once with this constraint?
Yes, this is also possible. 12 people can pick numbers { 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5 } and still meet the constraint in the condition.

Since both the cases are possible, this condition is INSUFFICIENT.

(2) This condition only tells you that 5 is selected more times than 4

Case 1: Is it possible that 1 is not selected at all with this constraint?
Yes, that is possible. Consider 12 people picking numbers { 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 } and still meeting the constraint in this condition.
Note that this is only 1 possible case out of many such cases in which 1 will not appear and we can have more 5s than 4s.

Case 2: Is it possible that 1 is selected at least once with this constraint?
Yes, this is also possible. 12 people can pick numbers { 1, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 } and still meet the constraint in the condition.
Note that this is only 1 possible case out of many such cases in which 1 will appear and we can have more 5s than 4s.

Since both the cases are possible, this condition is also INSUFFICIENT.

(1) + (2):
Since a number can only be selected at most 3 times and there are more 5s than 4s, consider this:
If 1 is not selected, the only possible selection that satisfies condition (1) is { 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5 } BUT this selection does not satisfy (2) condition. With similar reasoning, you can see that if you try to satisfy (2) condition you will break (1) without having 1 selected by at least 1 person.

Hence, for both the conditions to be true simultaneously, 1 should be selected by at least 1 person. SUFFICIENT

Answer: C

Thank you, Anox. Your explanation was really helpful. The language in this Q gave a tough time.
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Data A says that no number was chosen more than 3 times...this is ambiguous as it could be that the numbers 2, 3,4 and 5 were chosen 3 times or it could be that 1 was also chosen. So Insufficient.
Data B says that 5 was chosen more times than 4. This is also ambiguous....it could be that 5 was chosen 7 times and 4 was chosen 5 times...or it could also be that 1 was chosen few times with other numbers. Not clear. So Insufficient.
But put together, since no number was chosen more than thrice and 5 was chosen more than 4 we can list like this...
55544333222... making it 11 items. So the other number has to be 1. So C

Posted from my mobile device
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [1]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel ; this is a gmatprep question.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 665557 [0]
Given Kudos: 87509
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kritisood
Bunuel ; this is a gmatprep question.
Own Kudos [?]: 890 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
95944 posts