Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [23]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [2]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2261 [4]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Re: Engadget just reported that Nokia has launched the Lumia 1020 with 41 [#permalink]
I'd go with D as comparison is correct - Camera of Nokia to that of other smartphone.

Look forward to more 700+ from you Shradhha!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-04-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Engadget just reported that Nokia has launched the Lumia 1020 with 41 [#permalink]
IMO D

In option A,B "it" is ambiguous..
In option C "having" is incorrect.
Wrong comparison in option E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Very nice question. My answer is D for reasons stated below

A. and that it has 20 million more pixels than any other smartphone with a camera --> Two issues: Seems parallel with "Nokia has launched the Lumia 1" and hence does not modify camera. More pixel than any other smartphone is wrong comparison
B. and it has 20 million more pixels when compared to any other smartphone’s camera --> More cannot be used with "compared to".
C. having 20 million more pixels than any other camera in any other smartphone --> verb-ing modifies the preceding clause whereas we need to modify only the camera.
D. a camera that has 20 million more pixels than a camera in any other smartphone --> Correct
E. a camera with 20 million more pixels than any other smartphone with camera --> Compares camera with any other smart phone
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
IMO D for the reasons below

A. 'it' is referring to Engadget
B. 'it' is referring to Nokia
C. '-ing' modifier changes meaning
D. fine
E. wrong meaning
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
egmat wrote:

Hi folks,

On popular demand, the e-GMAT question bakery has become active again. Here comes a fresh one. Try this one and post your detailed analysis. Posts with correct detailed analysis will get Kudos from us.

Engadget just reported that Nokia has launched the Lumia 1020 with 41 megapixel camera, and that it has 20 million more pixels than any other smartphone with a camera launched this year.

A. and that it has 20 million more pixels than any other smartphone with a camera
B. and it has 20 million more pixels when compared to any other smartphone’s camera
C. having 20 million more pixels than any other camera in any other smartphone
D. a camera that has 20 million more pixels than a camera in any other smartphone
E. a camera with 20 million more pixels than any other smartphone with camera

Thanks. :-)
Shraddha

A - it- has no clear antecedent, if it was suppose to be refer to the camera the sentence make a comparison between the camera and any other smartphone.
B- it- again with no clear antecedent and lack of parallel with no "that" at the beginning. when should refer to a time phrase only.
C- having - modifier that break the sentence , it refer to the whole clause instead of a noun - camera.
D- correct .
E- comparison between camera and any other smartphone.

nice one! it's good to read something fresh,High tech cellphone, instead some biologic and boring story.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
But if you see, even a phone can have pixels, not just the camera in the phone. Resolution of phone is given in pixels. So even though I chose the correct answer, I was detained by this fact for several seconds.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
HarishLearner wrote:
But if you see, even a phone can have pixels, not just the camera in the phone. Resolution of phone is given in pixels. So even though I chose the
correct answer, I was detained by this fact for several seconds.

Well, you can say that I got into the writer mind, because you are comparing cameras here..Correct me e gmat if Im wrong .

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
A. and that it has 20 million more pixels than any other smartphone with a camera
"and" here suggests that both the ideas are independent. "it has 20 million...." is modifying camera, and therefore it is best conveyed using a noun modifier. therefore this is incorrect.
B. and it has 20 million more pixels when compared to any other smartphone’s camera
same as A
this construction should modify the previous clause but is modifying the previous noun. therefore this is incorrect.
D. a camera that has 20 million more pixels than a camera in any other smartphone
noun + noun modifier is employed to modify camera, a noun in the previous clause. this is correct.
a camera is compared with another smartphone. therefore this is incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Engadget just reported that Nokia has launched the Lumia 1020 with 41 [#permalink]
egmat wrote:

Hi folks,

On popular demand, the e-GMAT question bakery has become active again. Here comes a fresh one. Try this one and post your detailed analysis. Posts with correct detailed analysis will get Kudos from us.

Engadget just reported that Nokia has launched the Lumia 1020 with 41 megapixel camera, and that it has 20 million more pixels than any other smartphone with a camera launched this year.

Shraddha

the very basic thing which i noticed is the comparison of cameras
so in A we have it which refers back to nokia
in B also we have same problem
in C we have having which is modifying the smartphone
and E we r comparing camera with smartphone
so D is the best choice
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: IIMB EPGP'23
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
Send PM
egmat wrote:

Hi folks,

Shraddha

Isn't "D" an independent clause and if so, does not it have "run on" sentence error.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
How it is ambiguous ? it could refer only to the camera or to the lumia 1020. Either way, both make sense, so i dont see the problem in saying that the iphone X has more pixels than Y samsung or that the camera of X iphone is better than the camera of any other smartphone

Not og ofc
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
bansalgaurav wrote:
egmat wrote:

Hi folks,

Shraddha

Isn't "D" an independent clause and if so, does not it have "run on" sentence error.

try removing the modifier to see if it is an independent clause

a camera 'with 20 mil more pixels' is not an independent clause
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts