Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:49 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Re: Evaluate my GMAT profile and career advice [#permalink]
Kudos
I'll jump in with a different perspective.

I sympathize with you because it is not an easy decision. Questions for you:

1.) Why did you write the GMAT in the first place?
2.) Where do you want to work? If in India, IIM L is a better option than to wait out. If outside, it is a no-brainer - wait for sometime and apply to schools.
3.) Have you considered a double MBA ? I'm not saying that is the optimum way to use your education, but many people do it and I've seen quite a few from L/XL in top 10 US schools.
4.) Would you be able to manage the finances if you are planning to go out ? We are talking about ~8x times the investment in L.

As far as your profile is concerned, it looks solid for a top - 10/15 in 3-4 years (if you don't screw up at work). You have plenty of time to build up some extra curriculars and have some leadership experience.

Finally, there is a TON of difference between 'finance' opportunities you will get at L and a top 10/15 in US.
L will be mostly commercial banking and a (very) few back/middle end premium IBs (check out the placement reports and talk to a few L people if possible). On the other hand, though opportunities do exist outside, it is hard to get into the elite roles without prior relevant experience. I will encourage you to research more before you take the plunge.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
I would suggest you to wait for 3-4 years, do your CFA and get an MBA from Top 5 Finance Business School. Else if you are in a hurry try CAT 1, 2 times more and get into IIM A, B and then you should able to get into Finance in Singapore, Hong Kong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
MBAAdmissionsCoach wrote:
Congratulations on your superior GMAT performance! Wow! This score can open the door to remarkable opportunities for you - if you use it strategically.

I urge you to hold off on pursuing your MBA at this time. It's too early in your career. Furthermore, if you do pursue your MBA at this time, when you complete your MBA, you'll be competing for jobs with others who have their MBA plus 3-5 years of professional experience. You'll be at a significant disadvantage due to the lack of experience.

Take the position you've been offered, and gain as much managerial experience as you can. Try to get assignments that have a finance component in them. During this time, be planning financially for your MBA.

After you've gained at least three years of professional experience, then apply to top business schools. Your GMAT score is good for 5 years, so you've got a nice window to work with.

Here's the advice I always give to individuals who are just graduating from college:

You can only do your MBA once in your career.

The primary value of an MBA comes at an early stage of your career - but only after you've completed a few years of professional experience.

Hold on to that fantastic GMAT score, and pursue the MBA after you've gained experience.

I know it is hard to wait, but when you consider the long term return on the investment (ie, the MBA), pursuing the MBA after professional experience is the right path.

Good luck!

Wendy

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. My main problem is the job offer I have is a technical (mechanical engg.) one, not related to finance. My undergrad CGPA isn't that great too. Could you throw some light on the type of Extra-curriculars or leadership experiences you referred to? Is it very hard to work my way up after landing a decent fin job from L? Would really really appreciate your inputs...Thanks again
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well if you really really don't want to do what your job offer offers you, can you afford to look a bit more for a more appropriate job? I know first jobs are tough to land so your choice may not always be the ideal one. But anyhow whatever you decide, I think it's better in general to work for a few years before continuing your studies. Because you come back to your studies more serious, more secure, more confident, more sure about your goals. And all of these are good things.
GMAT Club Bot