Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619258 [4]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [1]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 580 Q42 V27
Send PM
Re: Even for high school freshmen and sophomores, theories con- cerning th [#permalink]
Kudos
Ans: D
a) Even for high school freshmen and sophomores..what is this referring to is not clear
b)these--wrong
c)for many students..wrong modifier
d) correct
e)passive & awkward
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Even for high school freshmen and sophomores, theories con- cerning th [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

Bunuel wrote:

Competition Mode Question

Even for high school freshmen and sophomores, theories concerning the psychology of death and dying among the elderly can hold considerable significance and interest for many students.

(A) Even for high school freshmen and sophomores, theories concerning the psychology of death and dying among the elderly can hold considerable significance and
interest for many students.

(B) Even for high school freshmen and sophomore students with considerable interest in theories concerning the psychology of death and dying among the elderly, these theories can hold considerable significance.

(C) Theories concerning the psychology of death and dying among the elderly, for many students, even high school freshmen and sophomores, can hold considerable
significance and interest.

(D) Theories concerning the psychology of death and dying among the elderly can hold considerable significance and interest even for high school freshmen and sophomore students.

(E) Considerable significance and interest for even high school freshmen and sophomores is held in theories concerning the psychology of death and dying among the elderly.

Choice A: This answer choice features a redundancy in its use of the phrase "for many students", as the phrase "Even for high school freshmen and sophomores" already provides context for whom the theories hold significance and interest. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice B: This answer choice introduces redundancy into the sentence by altering the intended meaning. This answer choice modifies the noun "high school freshmen and sophomore students" with the phrase "with considerable interest in theories... "; in doing so, the answer choice alters the sentence to mean that the concerned theories can hold considerable significance for students already interested in them. The correct meaning of the sentence is that the theories can hold considerable interest and significance for all high school freshmen and sophomores. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice C: This answer choice incorrectly modifies the noun "Theories..." with the phrase "for many students", implying that the theories are for the students; the intended meaning of the sentence carries no such implication. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice D: This answer choice conveys the intended meaning of the sentence. Thus, this answer choice is correct.

Choice E: This answer choice reverses the meaning of the sentence entirely, as the phrase "Considerable significance and interest for even high school freshmen and sophomores" implies that the "theories" contain significance and interest for "high school freshmen and sophomores". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts