Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 20:17 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4658 [0]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Exam in 6 days - Stuck in low 600s - Advice needed [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mitko20m wrote:
Hi all, my exam is in a week from today and I am stuck on a score between 520 and 630. I have taken the exam five times and am very skeptical about the score I would get but have decided to give it one final shot. I am waitlisted at three Top 5 schools and my GMAT score is the only thing that would prevent me from getting in (as explained to me by admissions). I need at least 650, preferably 690 to make the cut.

In quant (range 30-42), my weakest side is problem solving, specifically word problems (algebraic translations, rate problems, and occasionally, linear equations). I am doing very well on DS problems, combinatorics, and all other topics (Rarely make mistakes on DS). Time management is not an issue - I often finish 5-10 minutes early in each section, but I clearly need to spend this time proofing my work. In verbal, I am stuck on a range 27 - 35. My weakest side is CR (assumption / inference), SC (Idioms), and RC overall. Admittedly, I have not spent much time on RC, or verbal prep in general. I did read about and tried to apply the various Kaplan and Manhattan techniques but found that my V score dropped..

Any suggestions on how I can best spend the next 5-6 days before test day would be greatly appreciated. I have already exhausted the question bank from GMATPrep and completed the 6 Manhattan practice tests (and almost done with the free tests listed on the forum. I have taken time off of work to study and plan to take a test each day, review it, and allocate 1-2 hours in the evening each day to verbal / quant and focus on addressing my weaknesses. Thank you for the advice!
I'm not sure how helpful taking a test every day will be. Go ahead if you feel that it won't affect your GMAT, but the safer option is to give yourself some time before the exam to ensure that you are able to focus fully on the day of the exam. Managing time (not rushing or finishing early) is also important, and you can take a little more time on tough questions if you are ahead on time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
Send PM
Just took the Veritas and got 630. 44 quant and 33 verbal. This time I was more focused, and did it as if I would do the normal exam. 8/8 in IR, so it is a shame it does not count towards the overall grade. I seem to be getting between a 42-45 in quant everytime. I keep getting the same type of questions wrong, so it seems like I thankfully have time to revise those topics and maybe bump up the score one or two points. The biggest fluctuation is in verbal, where it seems to go from 20-35. Any good cheat sheet/rules to check over?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all - following up on the below. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them as I have less than 5 days to test day.
--
Hi all, my exam is in 5 days from today and I am stuck on a score between 520 and 630. I have taken the exam five times and am very skeptical about the score I would get but have decided to give it one final shot. I am waitlisted at three Top 5 schools and my GMAT score is the only thing that would prevent me from getting in (as explained to me by admissions). I need at least 650, preferably 690 to make the cut.

In quant (range 30-42), my weakest side is problem solving, specifically word problems (algebraic translations, rate problems, and occasionally, linear equations). I am doing very well on DS problems, combinatorics, and all other topics (Rarely make mistakes on DS). Time management is not an issue - I often finish 5-10 minutes early in each section, but I clearly need to spend this time proofing my work. In verbal, I am stuck on a range 27 - 35. My weakest side is CR (assumption / inference), SC (Idioms), and RC overall. Admittedly, I have not spent much time on RC, or verbal prep in general. I did read about and tried to apply the various Kaplan and Manhattan techniques but found that my V score dropped..

Any suggestions on how I can best spend the next 5 days before test day would be greatly appreciated. I have already exhausted the question bank from GMATPrep and completed the 6 Manhattan practice tests (and almost done with the free tests listed on the forum. I have taken time off of work to study and plan to take a test each day, review it, and allocate 1-2 hours in the evening each day to verbal / quant and focus on addressing my weaknesses. Thank you for the advice!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools: Anderson '19
Send PM
@Mitko20m:
i all - following up on the below. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them as I have less than 5 days to test day.
--
Hi all, my exam is in 5 days from today and I am stuck on a score between 520 and 630. I have taken the exam five times and am very skeptical about the score I would get but have decided to give it one final shot. I am waitlisted at three Top 5 schools and my GMAT score is the only thing that would prevent me from getting in (as explained to me by admissions). I need at least 650, preferably 690 to make the cut.

In quant (range 30-42), my weakest side is problem solving, specifically word problems (algebraic translations, rate problems, and occasionally, linear equations). I am doing very well on DS problems, combinatorics, and all other topics (Rarely make mistakes on DS). Time management is not an issue - I often finish 5-10 minutes early in each section, but I clearly need to spend this time proofing my work. (It looks like your problem solving problems could be fixed by memorizing all formulas and key concepts on great resource for that is Target Testp Prep, super recommended!!)In verbal, I am stuck on a range 27 - 35. My weakest side is CR (assumption / inference), SC (Idioms), and RC overall. Admittedly, I have not spent much time on RC, or verbal prep in general. I did read about and tried to apply the various Kaplan and Manhattan techniques but found that my V score dropped..For Verbal.. you can try the following:
1. For assumption/Inference questions issues: for inference always look for the answer choice that MUST be true based on the passage. For Assumption: try to connect the relation between the evidence and the conclusion of the argument.
I won´t recommend Kaplan or Manhattan specially if you are a non native english speaker. Rather, first try to solve CR and SC questions from the OG do not time them just try to identify the issues and solve it in either case. If you don´t understand something look at the explanations found in the book or you can use GMAT Navigator Tool to track your progress. Also be aware to start with EASY questions ONLY until you feel more confident. You can leave RC for last since by practicing CR and SC you are practicing RC without noticing jaja.
Please LMK if you have any questions!.

Any suggestions on how I can best spend the next 5 days before test day would be greatly appreciated. I have already exhausted the question bank from GMATPrep and completed the 6 Manhattan practice tests (and almost done with the free tests listed on the forum. I have taken time off of work to study and plan to take a test each day, review it, and allocate 1-2 hours in the evening each day to verbal / quant and focus on addressing my weaknesses. Thank you for the advice! Welcome hope you will do GREAT in your GMAT!! Good Luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 550 Q36 V29
GMAT 3: 560 Q36 V31
GMAT 4: 640 Q41 V37
GMAT 5: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
Exam in 6 days - Stuck in low 600s - Advice needed [#permalink]
mitko20m wrote:
Hi all, my exam is in a week from today and I am stuck on a score between 520 and 630. I have taken the exam five times and am very skeptical about the score I would get but have decided to give it one final shot. I am waitlisted at three Top 5 schools and my GMAT score is the only thing that would prevent me from getting in (as explained to me by admissions). I need at least 650, preferably 690 to make the cut.

Any suggestions on how I can best spend the next 5-6 days before test day would be greatly appreciated. I have already exhausted the question bank from GMATPrep and completed the 6 Manhattan practice tests (and almost done with the free tests listed on the forum. I have taken time off of work to study and plan to take a test each day, review it, and allocate 1-2 hours in the evening each day to verbal / quant and focus on addressing my weaknesses. Thank you for the advice!

Ok, by no means am I an expert, but I think you're pretty close to a 650 its possible to get there maybe possibly even a little higher. You say your range is Q30-Q42. If you slow down a little in your exam you might easily get to Q45. You identified PS as your issue, I would go through GMAT MATH Flash Cards on this forum. You have 6 days, review these cards at least 3-4 times. Practice problem-solving questions, and just take your time with them. Even if it takes you three - four minutes to solve its fine. With time you will get quicker.

Also Highly recommend looking at this article on how to organize your scratchpad, especially for the quant section. It comes with a very good way of keeping track of your time management effortlessly. It seems like you know your weaknesses if you feel there is a question you have no chance of solving sacrifice it. (Unless you're way ahead on time) Now you have a little extra time and you could possibly get a few more of the problem-solving questions right with the extra time.

Try doing just a QUANT CAT with the mentioned strategy, see how you feel.

I am pretty much with you in the same boat for verbal, so I can't really make some great recommendations there.

I was falling a little behind in SC and needed to catch up on some knowledge gaps so I used this free ebook: https://www.manhattanreview.com/download ... -Guide.pdf

You can go through all the content minus practice problems in about 3-4 Hours. If anything it is a good review.

For CR Assumption/Inference Questions You want to quickly map out The Premises, and then the Conclusion. And See what assumption would you have to take to from the Premise to the Conclusion.

If you can tighten these errors you should easily be able to get Q45v35 which is about a 650. You could also do much better then this, but you are not far from your goal.

Most of all believe in your self that the score you want is possible!!

Best of Luck Hope You get that 690+ !!!
GMAT Club Bot
Exam in 6 days - Stuck in low 600s - Advice needed [#permalink]