GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 03:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

LBS MBA Admissions & Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Reflections: My first few weeks at LBS!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 09:01
FROM LBS Current Students Blog: Reflections: My first few weeks at LBS!
Greetings, fellow graduate students!

Thinking back to when I packed my bags to travel more than 4500 miles away to be here, I’m not sure where exactly to begin to describe this journey. This last few weeks have been such a whirlwind, to say the least.

I realize how privileged I am, to be surrounded by some of the best talents in the world. LBS is diverse in every sense. I met investment bankers, doctors, engineers, diplomats, attorneys, army veterans, pilots and consultants, people from different nationalities, race, color, sexual orientations, religious beliefs, etc. I find this to be one of the most enriching parts of my LBS experience so far. The one common attribute that I see in everybody here is that they are all incredibly smart and driven, and incredibly humble. And everyone is here for this super transformative experience.

Having a bit of fear and dislike for the word “networking”, the most interesting insight of these past few weeks is that I am learning how moved I am by connections. I am pleasantly surprised with how collaborative, supportive and friendly most people are (especially in stream D!). We are all part of more WhatsApp groups than we’ve ever been. And it takes time, conversations and vulnerability to build genuine experiences and relationships. Obviously, things are not perfect. I feel lost some days, lack that sense of belonging. I’m shuffling between so many social groups stream, regional, career interest groups etc, and it sometimes feels like life is on “auto-pilot”. My calendar is crammed with too many exciting activities. I find myself grappling with how I should spend the next two years of my life. I hope to find out what matters to me while being an authentic person through the journey. With the program picking up speed, with one exam down already, the stress and the excitement is palpable.

For now, I’m just making new friends, enjoying Sundowners and so many other social events, going on weekend trips with friends and experiencing unhealthy levels of FOMO!

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Manager
Manager
Three Schools, two top-5 programmes, one global experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 09:00
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Three Schools, two top-5 programmes, one global experience
Last week our EMBA-Global Americas and Europe and EMBA-Global Asia cohorts came together for their latest class week in London. These two programmes are offered as part of a powerful collaboration between London Business School, Columbia Business School, and Hong Kong University, a collaboration that has earned the programmes top –billing in the latest Financial […]

Read the rest of this entry...
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Manager
Manager
LBS EMBA Programmes achieve top rankings in Financial Times  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 10:00
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: LBS EMBA Programmes achieve top rankings in Financial Times
October is an eventful time at London Business School, as we are busy recruiting our 2018 EMBA classes. During this period it is great to see that our hard work and dedication to academic excellence has come to fruition with our EMBA Global Americas and Europe and EMBA Global Asia achieving 4th and 2nd positions […]

Manager
Manager
Lessons from my first month at London Business School  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 09:01
FROM LBS Current Students Blog: Lessons from my first month at London Business School
One month into my adventure here at LBS seems like as a good a time as any to reflect on some of the things I have learned thus far.

Beyond the technical details learned in class, I think it has been an education in itself to simply observe the dynamics of the students here.

LBS attracts some of the best global talent; many of the people walking around here have 750+ GMATs and already have an eye-watering list of achievements on their CVs. Coming to the school I wasn’t sure what impact this selection-hurdle would have on the relationship dynamics. And I’ll admit I had some trepidation about whether or not it would create an individualistic and competitive environment.

However, it turns out the exact opposite is true.

It is recruiting season here for the second year MBAs and everywhere you walk on campus you will see groups of people huddled together: sharing ideas, helping each other with fit questions, and practicing for the ever daunting case interviews.

While this is awesome, it left me wondering, why is it so pervasive? Why are people with limited time so willing to not only help their friends, but to help people they barely even know? I think part of the explanation is just a spirit of generosity. But fundamentally I think people respond to incentives, and I suspect something deeper is at play here.

Having done some more thinking, I have come up with three reasons why avoiding competition is actually the optimal strategy to maximising outcomes for the individual.

• Research demonstrates that teaching others generates better outcomes for one’s self: Multiple studies examining the benefits of mentoring have found strong evidence suggesting that the mentor relationship increases job satisfaction and career progression, not only for mentees, but for mentors themselves. This is likely because research demonstrates people will actually prepare more diligently if they believe the are teaching someone else, than if they are simply revising for themselves. Furthermore, no one individual can hope to become an expert of all facets of life and reciprocation is one of the strongest phenomena in social psychology. So at some point you will need to ask for help yourself, and if you’ve helped someone in the past they are exponentially more likely to return the favour. The combination of these effects means that sharing your knowledge with others is not likely to greatly diminish your own special value, instead it is more likely to increase the depth of your understanding and expand your personal network.
  • Relationships are more important than landing that next job, in the long term.It is easy to become overly fixated on the importance of the next step. While it is important to have optimistic goals, and I fully believe in the advantages of pushing one’s self to achieve a specific objective, this must not come at the expense of losing sight of the bigger picture. Trying to compete ferociously with those around you may improve your chances of ‘winning’ the next opportunity. But, what will this mean for opportunities three or four stops down the line? Ultimately, your current group of peers are the people most likely to be on a similar trajectory as you, and behaving in a manner that is likely to negatively impact your reputation can have long-term consequences. It is in this way that winning in the short term can actually mean losing in the end. Conversely, recognising the value of developing relationships with the people around you may have enormous benefits in the future and is therefore likely to be the more optimal approach.
  • Growing the pie is often better than getting a larger share. Competition naturally arises when a game is zero-sum. Professional sports is often held up as the epitome of this concept, as when the siren sounds one individual or team is declared a winner. One strategy to achieve a win-win outcome, even in situations that initially appear to be zero-sum, is to redefine the parameters used to measure success. Let me give you an example close to my own heart. I am a bit of an AFL (Australian Football League) tragic, and every year I get a thrill watching my Geelong Cats play against their bitter rivals, Hawthorn. This rivalry has built up over decades of ferocious encounters between the two clubs. And while I’m certain the players and fans want to win every time, continuing the rivalry is far more important for the clubs themselves, as it means they will continue to sell out games and secure TV time. Similarly, if you are a business school student applying for a grad jobs, I would argue that you actually want your classmates to be extremely strong candidates. This signals the quality of the institution and incentivises employers to expand their hiring capacity, rather than trying to fit applicants into an every shirking number of openings. As such, helping your peers increases your slice by growing the pie – rather than increasing the share.
I believe some of these principles can apply not only to individuals, but whole organisations. So often the language of business is couched in terms like ‘winning’ or becoming the ‘market leader’ and it in turn fosters zero-sum thinking. Paradoxically, economists have known for at least the last hundred years that pure competition kills profits at an industry level. As such, I contend that companies are able to maximise their long-term profits by redefining the dimensions of competition, instead of getting sucked into a old fashioned ground war to claim share.

One might argue that the success of cost-leaders like Amazon refutes this. However, I suggest that Amazon has been successful exactly because of its ability to avoid competitive pressure. Amazon competes asymmetrically in the markets in which it is successful, that is, it exerts competitive pressure on many businesses but receives little in return. While it competes with ‘Big Box’ retailers, there are few other ‘Infinite Box’ retailers that are able to compete with it. This is precisely because Amazon has been able to define its own category, at least for the time being.

To summarise, in the words of billionaire investor Peter Thiel: ‘competition is for losers’. Instead, I believe we should be constantly exploring different angles to help us achieve our objectives, both as individuals and organisations, rather than simply competing along the same old battle lines that have been drawn in the past.

Manager
Manager
Dubai Trek  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 04:01
FROM LBS Current Students Blog: Dubai Trek
If you are reading this blog, there is a big probability you are contemplating becoming part of LBS family and let me tell you one thing, you won’t regret it!

Picture this, a group of 17 MiF and MBA students from 13 different countries travelling from London to Dubai to visit top major institutions within different industries such as Uber, Abraaj Group, Mckinsey, Bain & Company, Strategy &, Emaar and Majid Al Futtaim. What made this the experience of a lifetime was getting to know people from different programmes, creating life lasting friendships, networking and meeting  senior representatives from companies within diverse sectors including private equity, investment banking, oil and gas, real estate, commodities trading, technology and consulting.

Dubai is a magnificent city offering a blend of traditional Middle Eastern culture and a modern culture with its ultra-modern sky scrapers. The companies were extremely welcoming and enthusiastic about our visit and have shared with us useful insights about the market. Acting as a hub for the gulf region and with a much diversified population of expatriate professionals working there, Dubai actually provides an attractive working environment for LBS Alumni.

The trek was organized by the Middle East Club, one of the most prominent clubs at LBS, and with the support of the LBS Career Centre in London and Dubai. The teams had done a fantastic job in organizing and successfully managing to incorporate a lot of networking opportunities with LBS Alumni and EMBA students currently studying or working in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Aside from the academics and classroom experience at LBS, networking opportunities are numerous and joining such career treks just takes them to a whole new level.

It’s never all work though!! Amazing dinners were organized at trendy restaurants such as Boca restaurant and Nola Social. Great times were had on the Trek with one another and the communal spirit is what truly distinguishes LBS students. Work hard, play harder is always the keyword. A magnificent trip with special thanks to the Middle East Club!

Malak El Shishiny – MiF FT2018

Manager
Manager
A curious case of a Flu!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 10:01
FROM LBS Current Students Blog: A curious case of a Flu!
There are two things that happen when you catch a flu. One – you feel quite sick and miserable (and even more so if it is the latest bad Aussie flu strain going round). Two – you have a lot of time at your disposal that you spend doing nothing but cogitating. Interestingly, the flu hit me almost as soon as we had returned to our 2nd term at the LBS EMBA. The first term was just over and I presume we were all full to the brim and in fact spilling over with some newly discovered subjects and terms. The desire to outpour and apply these skills onto the first possible real-life scenario was intense. A flu was an easy target for me.

Economics of Flu: Economics is a very welcoming subject. It’s quite easy to start off most problems with what appears like a big cross (X) on a graph, and then use the right arguments to prove it right. Although mine hit at a fairly relaxed time, Flu inherently is an inferior product. However, it causes major supply and demand shifts in terms of sleep, food intake and peace. There are very few substitutes to it and in the flu market, consumer power is almost negligible and restricted only but to paracetamol. On a typical night of flu, the Nash equilibrium is usually achieved quite late in the night when the tiredness of body and mind finally take over and the body is just fighting a marginal cost battle of survival. The flu market is also quite elastic to seasonality and in the best market conditions, arbitrage presents a major problem too.

Accounting a Flu: The flu had a major asset impact on my household accounts. Paracetamol and Ibuprofen inventory has gone up significantly in the household increasing assets significantly. The plan is to capitalize these costs over subsequent flu’s. The cash flow effect is not significant and neither is the impact on P&L. However, provisions have had to be made to account for loss of work and social commitments.

Analytics of a Flu: The confidence interval of predicting a flu is quite wide. However, once you do get a flu, the significance levels of feeling extremely poorly are quite high. The mean recovery period is usually a week with about +/-  3 day variance. Certain strains (like this recent one) introduce high deviations though and skewness. Multiple hypothesis have been built around quick cures for the flu, but in most cases it has been quite difficult to either prove or disprove them. People do build up multiple regression models to find quick solutions from flu. Although honey & lemon, lemsip and good old paracetamol have all come up statistically significant in the models, whilst the cure model itself is quite weak with a low Adjusted R2. Assignments have been shown to have a highly negative correlation to the cure too.

Ethics of a Flu: Now this is a fairly tricky area to get into. You get a flu, because you catch it from someone somewhere. What is the proper ethical behavior in a flu? Are you really NOT infectious when you think you aren’t? Or is that a serious miscalculation of judgement. Do you miss a very important meeting just because of a flu or a class? There are no right answers sadly and at the end it is an ethical choice.

So there it is – a lot of the first term learning delivered via a flu. As they say, catching a flu is one thing, learning from a flu, quite another!

Manager
Manager
Head over to our NEW blog  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 05:00
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Head over to our NEW blog
We’re delighted to unveil our new Recruitment and Admissions blog! Here, you can find all of our most recent Recruitment and Admissions content by a host of contributors from across the school.

Manager
Manager
BIG – BOLD – IMPACT: What to expect from the 2018 LBS Africa Business   [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 10:01
FROM LBS Current Students Blog: BIG – BOLD – IMPACT: What to expect from the 2018 LBS Africa Business Summit #LBSABS
Debola Williams (Co-Founder, RED) with Bob Collymore (CEO, Safaricom) at the 2017 #LBSABS

A year ago I penned this blog post for the 2017 #LBSABS. Sitting now in the library I’m wondering what to write about this year. Should I tell you about what it took to land the President of Ghana? Or what it takes to organize the largest Africa-focused conference at any business school in Europe? Maybe I’ll write about these in a future post. Today I’ll focus on the three words that guided our plans for the Africa Club during our tenure – BIG, BOLD & IMPACT.

BIG – #LBSABS has come of age. In its 17th year now, it has taken its place as the go to Africa-focused annual event in London for business professionals, entrepreneurs, investors, people in the arts and students. From its beginnings in a small room, club leaders in recent past have expanded the audience to over 400 truly pan-African guests, hosting them at some of the best venues London has to offer. This year is no different and the summit will hold at the 5-star Landmark Hotel in Marylebone.

BOLD – There are many ways we could have gone about delivering on this objective but what could have been bolder than landing the President of one of the fastest growing African countries today – H.E Nana Akufo Addo, President of Ghana. He will be joined at the summit by other notable speakers such as the Chief Executive of Africa Regions at Africa’s largest bank, Standard Bank (Sola David-Borha); CEO of global phosphate group, OCP Group (Mostafa Terrab); Vice President and Treasurer of the International Finance Corporation (Jingdong Hua); CEO of the most profitable African airline and first to use an all-female flight crew, Ethiopian Airlines (Tewolde Gebremariam); Partner at the most prominent Africa-focused private equity firm, Helios Investment Partners (Souleymane Ba); Manager of Afrobeats King, Fela Kuti (Rikki Stein); Co-Founder of Celtel and CEO of Eaton Towers (Terry Rhodes); CEO of Africa’s largest indigenous beauty company, House of Tara (Tara Durotoye); Advisor to French President Macron on entrepreneurship (Karim Sy); Serial entrepreneur who once designed the world’s most expensive suit (Alexander Amosu); Africa venture capital head at IFC (Wale Ayeni); President of Olam Gabon (Gagan Gupta); Executive Director of the best insurance group in Nigeria, AXA Mansard (Tosin Runsewe); the man behind Sony Music’s deals with African music stars Davido and Wizkid (Michael Ugwu); the fashion man himself, Ozwald Boateng; among many others.

Some confirmed speakers at the 2018 #LBSABS

Basically, we’ve reduced the number of panels this year while ensuring that each seat is filled with high impact speakers representing organizations doing business across the continent. See all speakers at www.lbsabs.com and be on the lookout for more announcements soon!

IMPACT: If there’s one thing I’ll take away from my time at London Business School, it’s a significantly better appreciation of the word Impact. It redefined my life priorities and at the #LBSABS level, we pursued this along three verticals:

• This year, we launch the Accel Awards, an annual business start-up contest organized by London Business School’s Africa Club in collaboration with club alumni and corporate partners including FTSE 100 companies, venture capital firms, entrepreneurship incubators and media companies. Top 3 finalists’ flights will be sponsored to London and they stand a chance to win from a pot of GBP15k.

• There will be more time for networking at the summit, as we would like summit guests to form more meaningful connections from the high-quality network at #LBSABS. To facilitate this, guests will have access to Crowd Compass to facilitate connections and networking during the summit. These conversations will continue at the gala dinner, which ends with our classic after party, that promises to be another spectacular event!

• To facilitate recruiting discussions, event and career fair sponsors will have stands on the sidelines of the summit to meet with summit attendees. They will also have access to the CV book of attendees who express interest during signup in exploring recruiting opportunities. #LBSABS attracts the best and widest range of professionals, students and Africans in the diaspora, which makes it a prime event to spot top talent. If your organization would like to be involved, please reach out to us via the website.

In summary, “Scaling for Impact” is about exploring the evolving realities of growing businesses at scale in Africa, as well as how to do this while making meaningful impact. The date is May 12. The venue is Landmark Hotel, Marylebone, London. And the event is the 17th London Business School Africa Business Summit.

See you there!

Adesoji Solanke

Co-President – The Africa Club

London Business School

A scene from the 2017 #LBSABS afterparty

Manager
Manager
BIG – BOLD – IMPACT: What to expect at the 2018 LBS Africa Business Su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 11:01
FROM LBS Current Students Blog: BIG – BOLD – IMPACT: What to expect at the 2018 LBS Africa Business Summit #LBSABS
Debola Williams (Co-Founder, RED) with Bob Collymore (CEO, Safaricom) at the 2017 #LBSABS

A year ago I penned this blog post for the 2017 #LBSABS. Sitting now in the library I’m wondering what to write about this year. Should I tell you about what it took to land the President of Ghana? Or what it takes to organize the largest Africa-focused conference at any business school in Europe? Maybe I’ll write about these in a future post. Today I’ll focus on the three words that guided our plans for the Africa Club during our tenure – BIG, BOLD & IMPACT.

BIG – #LBSABS has come of age. In its 17th year now, it has taken its place as the go to Africa-focused annual event in London for business professionals, entrepreneurs, investors, people in the arts and students. From its beginnings in a small room, club leaders in recent past have expanded the audience to over 400 truly pan-African guests, hosting them at some of the best venues London has to offer. This year is no different and the summit will hold at the 5-star Landmark Hotel in Marylebone.

BOLD – There are many ways we could have gone about delivering on this objective but what could have been bolder than landing the President of one of the fastest growing African countries today – H.E Nana Akufo Addo, President of Ghana. He will be joined at the summit by other notable speakers such as the Chief Executive of Africa Regions at Africa’s largest bank, Standard Bank (Sola David-Borha); CEO of global phosphate group, OCP Group (Mostafa Terrab); Vice President and Treasurer of the International Finance Corporation (Jingdong Hua); CEO of the most profitable African airline and first to use an all-female flight crew, Ethiopian Airlines (Tewolde Gebremariam); Partner at the most prominent Africa-focused private equity firm, Helios Investment Partners (Souleymane Ba); Manager of Afrobeats King, Fela Kuti (Rikki Stein); Co-Founder of Celtel and CEO of Eaton Towers (Terry Rhodes); CEO of Africa’s largest indigenous beauty company, House of Tara (Tara Durotoye); Advisor to French President Macron on entrepreneurship (Karim Sy); Serial entrepreneur who once designed the world’s most expensive suit (Alexander Amosu); Africa venture capital head at IFC (Wale Ayeni); President of Olam Gabon (Gagan Gupta); Executive Director of the best insurance group in Nigeria, AXA Mansard (Tosin Runsewe); the man behind Sony Music’s deals with African music stars Davido and Wizkid (Michael Ugwu); the fashion man himself, Ozwald Boateng; among many others.

Some confirmed speakers at the 2018 #LBSABS

Basically, we’ve reduced the number of panels this year while ensuring that each seat is filled with high impact speakers representing organizations doing business across the continent. See all speakers at www.lbsabs.com and be on the lookout for more announcements soon!

IMPACT: If there’s one thing I’ll take away from my time at London Business School, it’s a significantly better appreciation of the word Impact. It redefined my life priorities and at the #LBSABS level, we pursued this along three verticals:

• This year, we launch the Accel Awards, an annual business start-up contest organized by London Business School’s Africa Club in collaboration with club alumni and corporate partners including FTSE 100 companies, venture capital firms, entrepreneurship incubators and media companies. Top 3 finalists’ flights will be sponsored to London and they stand a chance to win from a pot of GBP15k.

• There will be more time for networking at the summit, as we would like summit guests to form more meaningful connections from the high-quality network at #LBSABS. To facilitate this, guests will have access to Crowd Compass to facilitate connections and networking during the summit. These conversations will continue at the gala dinner, which ends with our classic after party, that promises to be another spectacular event!

• To facilitate recruiting discussions, event and career fair sponsors will have stands on the sidelines of the summit to meet with summit attendees. They will also have access to the CV book of attendees who express interest during signup in exploring recruiting opportunities. #LBSABS attracts the best and widest range of professionals, students and Africans in the diaspora, which makes it a prime event to spot top talent. If your organization would like to be involved, please reach out to us via the website.

In summary, “Scaling for Impact” is about exploring the evolving realities of growing businesses at scale in Africa, as well as how to do this while making meaningful impact. The date is May 12. The venue is Landmark Hotel, Marylebone, London. And the event is the 17th London Business School Africa Business Summit.

See you there!

Adesoji Solanke

Co-President – The Africa Club

London Business School

The 4th word is: ‘FUN’ – A scene from the 2017 #LBSABS afterparty

GMAT Club Bot
BIG – BOLD – IMPACT: What to expect at the 2018 LBS Africa Business Su &nbs [#permalink] 11 Apr 2018, 11:01

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

LBS MBA Admissions & Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap