[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 881: Undefined array key "c_ss"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 890: Undefined array key "202_school_count"
LBS MBA Admissions & Related Blogs : LBS - Page 2
Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 21:12 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 21:12
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
   1   2   3   4  ...  22   
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Lessons from my first month at London Business School [#permalink]
FROM LBS Current Students Blog: Lessons from my first month at London Business School
One month into my adventure here at LBS seems like as a good a time as any to reflect on some of the things I have learned thus far.

Beyond the technical details learned in class, I think it has been an education in itself to simply observe the dynamics of the students here.

LBS attracts some of the best global talent; many of the people walking around here have 750+ GMATs and already have an eye-watering list of achievements on their CVs. Coming to the school I wasn’t sure what impact this selection-hurdle would have on the relationship dynamics. And I’ll admit I had some trepidation about whether or not it would create an individualistic and competitive environment.

However, it turns out the exact opposite is true.

It is recruiting season here for the second year MBAs and everywhere you walk on campus you will see groups of people huddled together: sharing ideas, helping each other with fit questions, and practicing for the ever daunting case interviews.

While this is awesome, it left me wondering, why is it so pervasive? Why are people with limited time so willing to not only help their friends, but to help people they barely even know? I think part of the explanation is just a spirit of generosity. But fundamentally I think people respond to incentives, and I suspect something deeper is at play here.

Having done some more thinking, I have come up with three reasons why avoiding competition is actually the optimal strategy to maximising outcomes for the individual.

• Research demonstrates that teaching others generates better outcomes for one’s self: Multiple studies examining the benefits of mentoring have found strong evidence suggesting that the mentor relationship increases job satisfaction and career progression, not only for mentees, but for mentors themselves. This is likely because research demonstrates people will actually prepare more diligently if they believe the are teaching someone else, than if they are simply revising for themselves. Furthermore, no one individual can hope to become an expert of all facets of life and reciprocation is one of the strongest phenomena in social psychology. So at some point you will need to ask for help yourself, and if you’ve helped someone in the past they are exponentially more likely to return the favour. The combination of these effects means that sharing your knowledge with others is not likely to greatly diminish your own special value, instead it is more likely to increase the depth of your understanding and expand your personal network.
  • Relationships are more important than landing that next job, in the long term.It is easy to become overly fixated on the importance of the next step. While it is important to have optimistic goals, and I fully believe in the advantages of pushing one’s self to achieve a specific objective, this must not come at the expense of losing sight of the bigger picture. Trying to compete ferociously with those around you may improve your chances of ‘winning’ the next opportunity. But, what will this mean for opportunities three or four stops down the line? Ultimately, your current group of peers are the people most likely to be on a similar trajectory as you, and behaving in a manner that is likely to negatively impact your reputation can have long-term consequences. It is in this way that winning in the short term can actually mean losing in the end. Conversely, recognising the value of developing relationships with the people around you may have enormous benefits in the future and is therefore likely to be the more optimal approach.
  • Growing the pie is often better than getting a larger share. Competition naturally arises when a game is zero-sum. Professional sports is often held up as the epitome of this concept, as when the siren sounds one individual or team is declared a winner. One strategy to achieve a win-win outcome, even in situations that initially appear to be zero-sum, is to redefine the parameters used to measure success. Let me give you an example close to my own heart. I am a bit of an AFL (Australian Football League) tragic, and every year I get a thrill watching my Geelong Cats play against their bitter rivals, Hawthorn. This rivalry has built up over decades of ferocious encounters between the two clubs. And while I’m certain the players and fans want to win every time, continuing the rivalry is far more important for the clubs themselves, as it means they will continue to sell out games and secure TV time. Similarly, if you are a business school student applying for a grad jobs, I would argue that you actually want your classmates to be extremely strong candidates. This signals the quality of the institution and incentivises employers to expand their hiring capacity, rather than trying to fit applicants into an every shirking number of openings. As such, helping your peers increases your slice by growing the pie – rather than increasing the share.
I believe some of these principles can apply not only to individuals, but whole organisations. So often the language of business is couched in terms like ‘winning’ or becoming the ‘market leader’ and it in turn fosters zero-sum thinking. Paradoxically, economists have known for at least the last hundred years that pure competition kills profits at an industry level. As such, I contend that companies are able to maximise their long-term profits by redefining the dimensions of competition, instead of getting sucked into a old fashioned ground war to claim share.

One might argue that the success of cost-leaders like Amazon refutes this. However, I suggest that Amazon has been successful exactly because of its ability to avoid competitive pressure. Amazon competes asymmetrically in the markets in which it is successful, that is, it exerts competitive pressure on many businesses but receives little in return. While it competes with ‘Big Box’ retailers, there are few other ‘Infinite Box’ retailers that are able to compete with it. This is precisely because Amazon has been able to define its own category, at least for the time being.

To summarise, in the words of billionaire investor Peter Thiel: ‘competition is for losers’. Instead, I believe we should be constantly exploring different angles to help us achieve our objectives, both as individuals and organisations, rather than simply competing along the same old battle lines that have been drawn in the past.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
Dubai Trek [#permalink]
FROM LBS Current Students Blog: Dubai Trek
If you are reading this blog, there is a big probability you are contemplating becoming part of LBS family and let me tell you one thing, you won’t regret it!

Picture this, a group of 17 MiF and MBA students from 13 different countries travelling from London to Dubai to visit top major institutions within different industries such as Uber, Abraaj Group, Mckinsey, Bain & Company, Strategy &, Emaar and Majid Al Futtaim. What made this the experience of a lifetime was getting to know people from different programmes, creating life lasting friendships, networking and meeting  senior representatives from companies within diverse sectors including private equity, investment banking, oil and gas, real estate, commodities trading, technology and consulting.

Dubai is a magnificent city offering a blend of traditional Middle Eastern culture and a modern culture with its ultra-modern sky scrapers. The companies were extremely welcoming and enthusiastic about our visit and have shared with us useful insights about the market. Acting as a hub for the gulf region and with a much diversified population of expatriate professionals working there, Dubai actually provides an attractive working environment for LBS Alumni.

The trek was organized by the Middle East Club, one of the most prominent clubs at LBS, and with the support of the LBS Career Centre in London and Dubai. The teams had done a fantastic job in organizing and successfully managing to incorporate a lot of networking opportunities with LBS Alumni and EMBA students currently studying or working in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Aside from the academics and classroom experience at LBS, networking opportunities are numerous and joining such career treks just takes them to a whole new level.

It’s never all work though!! Amazing dinners were organized at trendy restaurants such as Boca restaurant and Nola Social. Great times were had on the Trek with one another and the communal spirit is what truly distinguishes LBS students. Work hard, play harder is always the keyword. A magnificent trip with special thanks to the Middle East Club!

Malak El Shishiny – MiF FT2018

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
A curious case of a Flu! [#permalink]
FROM LBS Current Students Blog: A curious case of a Flu!
There are two things that happen when you catch a flu. One – you feel quite sick and miserable (and even more so if it is the latest bad Aussie flu strain going round). Two – you have a lot of time at your disposal that you spend doing nothing but cogitating. Interestingly, the flu hit me almost as soon as we had returned to our 2nd term at the LBS EMBA. The first term was just over and I presume we were all full to the brim and in fact spilling over with some newly discovered subjects and terms. The desire to outpour and apply these skills onto the first possible real-life scenario was intense. A flu was an easy target for me.

Economics of Flu: Economics is a very welcoming subject. It’s quite easy to start off most problems with what appears like a big cross (X) on a graph, and then use the right arguments to prove it right. Although mine hit at a fairly relaxed time, Flu inherently is an inferior product. However, it causes major supply and demand shifts in terms of sleep, food intake and peace. There are very few substitutes to it and in the flu market, consumer power is almost negligible and restricted only but to paracetamol. On a typical night of flu, the Nash equilibrium is usually achieved quite late in the night when the tiredness of body and mind finally take over and the body is just fighting a marginal cost battle of survival. The flu market is also quite elastic to seasonality and in the best market conditions, arbitrage presents a major problem too.

Accounting a Flu: The flu had a major asset impact on my household accounts. Paracetamol and Ibuprofen inventory has gone up significantly in the household increasing assets significantly. The plan is to capitalize these costs over subsequent flu’s. The cash flow effect is not significant and neither is the impact on P&L. However, provisions have had to be made to account for loss of work and social commitments.

Analytics of a Flu: The confidence interval of predicting a flu is quite wide. However, once you do get a flu, the significance levels of feeling extremely poorly are quite high. The mean recovery period is usually a week with about +/-  3 day variance. Certain strains (like this recent one) introduce high deviations though and skewness. Multiple hypothesis have been built around quick cures for the flu, but in most cases it has been quite difficult to either prove or disprove them. People do build up multiple regression models to find quick solutions from flu. Although honey & lemon, lemsip and good old paracetamol have all come up statistically significant in the models, whilst the cure model itself is quite weak with a low Adjusted R2. Assignments have been shown to have a highly negative correlation to the cure too.

Ethics of a Flu: Now this is a fairly tricky area to get into. You get a flu, because you catch it from someone somewhere. What is the proper ethical behavior in a flu? Are you really NOT infectious when you think you aren’t? Or is that a serious miscalculation of judgement. Do you miss a very important meeting just because of a flu or a class? There are no right answers sadly and at the end it is an ethical choice.

So there it is – a lot of the first term learning delivered via a flu. As they say, catching a flu is one thing, learning from a flu, quite another!

Director
Director
Send PM
Head over to our NEW blog [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Head over to our NEW blog
We’re delighted to unveil our new Recruitment and Admissions blog! Here, you can find all of our most recent Recruitment and Admissions content by a host of contributors from across the school.

Read the rest of this entry...
Director
Director
Send PM
BIG – BOLD – IMPACT: What to expect from the 2018 LBS Africa Business [#permalink]
FROM LBS Current Students Blog: BIG – BOLD – IMPACT: What to expect from the 2018 LBS Africa Business Summit #LBSABS

Debola Williams (Co-Founder, RED) with Bob Collymore (CEO, Safaricom) at the 2017 #LBSABS

A year ago I penned this blog post for the 2017 #LBSABS. Sitting now in the library I’m wondering what to write about this year. Should I tell you about what it took to land the President of Ghana? Or what it takes to organize the largest Africa-focused conference at any business school in Europe? Maybe I’ll write about these in a future post. Today I’ll focus on the three words that guided our plans for the Africa Club during our tenure – BIG, BOLD & IMPACT.

BIG – #LBSABS has come of age. In its 17th year now, it has taken its place as the go to Africa-focused annual event in London for business professionals, entrepreneurs, investors, people in the arts and students. From its beginnings in a small room, club leaders in recent past have expanded the audience to over 400 truly pan-African guests, hosting them at some of the best venues London has to offer. This year is no different and the summit will hold at the 5-star Landmark Hotel in Marylebone.

BOLD – There are many ways we could have gone about delivering on this objective but what could have been bolder than landing the President of one of the fastest growing African countries today – H.E Nana Akufo Addo, President of Ghana. He will be joined at the summit by other notable speakers such as the Chief Executive of Africa Regions at Africa’s largest bank, Standard Bank (Sola David-Borha); CEO of global phosphate group, OCP Group (Mostafa Terrab); Vice President and Treasurer of the International Finance Corporation (Jingdong Hua); CEO of the most profitable African airline and first to use an all-female flight crew, Ethiopian Airlines (Tewolde Gebremariam); Partner at the most prominent Africa-focused private equity firm, Helios Investment Partners (Souleymane Ba); Manager of Afrobeats King, Fela Kuti (Rikki Stein); Co-Founder of Celtel and CEO of Eaton Towers (Terry Rhodes); CEO of Africa’s largest indigenous beauty company, House of Tara (Tara Durotoye); Advisor to French President Macron on entrepreneurship (Karim Sy); Serial entrepreneur who once designed the world’s most expensive suit (Alexander Amosu); Africa venture capital head at IFC (Wale Ayeni); President of Olam Gabon (Gagan Gupta); Executive Director of the best insurance group in Nigeria, AXA Mansard (Tosin Runsewe); the man behind Sony Music’s deals with African music stars Davido and Wizkid (Michael Ugwu); the fashion man himself, Ozwald Boateng; among many others.

Some confirmed speakers at the 2018 #LBSABS

Basically, we’ve reduced the number of panels this year while ensuring that each seat is filled with high impact speakers representing organizations doing business across the continent. See all speakers at www.lbsabs.com and be on the lookout for more announcements soon!

IMPACT: If there’s one thing I’ll take away from my time at London Business School, it’s a significantly better appreciation of the word Impact. It redefined my life priorities and at the #LBSABS level, we pursued this along three verticals:

• This year, we launch the Accel Awards, an annual business start-up contest organized by London Business School’s Africa Club in collaboration with club alumni and corporate partners including FTSE 100 companies, venture capital firms, entrepreneurship incubators and media companies. Top 3 finalists’ flights will be sponsored to London and they stand a chance to win from a pot of GBP15k.

• There will be more time for networking at the summit, as we would like summit guests to form more meaningful connections from the high-quality network at #LBSABS. To facilitate this, guests will have access to Crowd Compass to facilitate connections and networking during the summit. These conversations will continue at the gala dinner, which ends with our classic after party, that promises to be another spectacular event!

• To facilitate recruiting discussions, event and career fair sponsors will have stands on the sidelines of the summit to meet with summit attendees. They will also have access to the CV book of attendees who express interest during signup in exploring recruiting opportunities. #LBSABS attracts the best and widest range of professionals, students and Africans in the diaspora, which makes it a prime event to spot top talent. If your organization would like to be involved, please reach out to us via the website.

In summary, “Scaling for Impact” is about exploring the evolving realities of growing businesses at scale in Africa, as well as how to do this while making meaningful impact. The date is May 12. The venue is Landmark Hotel, Marylebone, London. And the event is the 17th London Business School Africa Business Summit.

See you there!

Adesoji Solanke

Co-President – The Africa Club

London Business School

A scene from the 2017 #LBSABS afterparty

Director
Director
Send PM
BIG – BOLD – IMPACT: What to expect at the 2018 LBS Africa Business Su [#permalink]
FROM LBS Current Students Blog: BIG – BOLD – IMPACT: What to expect at the 2018 LBS Africa Business Summit #LBSABS

Debola Williams (Co-Founder, RED) with Bob Collymore (CEO, Safaricom) at the 2017 #LBSABS

A year ago I penned this blog post for the 2017 #LBSABS. Sitting now in the library I’m wondering what to write about this year. Should I tell you about what it took to land the President of Ghana? Or what it takes to organize the largest Africa-focused conference at any business school in Europe? Maybe I’ll write about these in a future post. Today I’ll focus on the three words that guided our plans for the Africa Club during our tenure – BIG, BOLD & IMPACT.

BIG – #LBSABS has come of age. In its 17th year now, it has taken its place as the go to Africa-focused annual event in London for business professionals, entrepreneurs, investors, people in the arts and students. From its beginnings in a small room, club leaders in recent past have expanded the audience to over 400 truly pan-African guests, hosting them at some of the best venues London has to offer. This year is no different and the summit will hold at the 5-star Landmark Hotel in Marylebone.

BOLD – There are many ways we could have gone about delivering on this objective but what could have been bolder than landing the President of one of the fastest growing African countries today – H.E Nana Akufo Addo, President of Ghana. He will be joined at the summit by other notable speakers such as the Chief Executive of Africa Regions at Africa’s largest bank, Standard Bank (Sola David-Borha); CEO of global phosphate group, OCP Group (Mostafa Terrab); Vice President and Treasurer of the International Finance Corporation (Jingdong Hua); CEO of the most profitable African airline and first to use an all-female flight crew, Ethiopian Airlines (Tewolde Gebremariam); Partner at the most prominent Africa-focused private equity firm, Helios Investment Partners (Souleymane Ba); Manager of Afrobeats King, Fela Kuti (Rikki Stein); Co-Founder of Celtel and CEO of Eaton Towers (Terry Rhodes); CEO of Africa’s largest indigenous beauty company, House of Tara (Tara Durotoye); Advisor to French President Macron on entrepreneurship (Karim Sy); Serial entrepreneur who once designed the world’s most expensive suit (Alexander Amosu); Africa venture capital head at IFC (Wale Ayeni); President of Olam Gabon (Gagan Gupta); Executive Director of the best insurance group in Nigeria, AXA Mansard (Tosin Runsewe); the man behind Sony Music’s deals with African music stars Davido and Wizkid (Michael Ugwu); the fashion man himself, Ozwald Boateng; among many others.

Some confirmed speakers at the 2018 #LBSABS

Basically, we’ve reduced the number of panels this year while ensuring that each seat is filled with high impact speakers representing organizations doing business across the continent. See all speakers at www.lbsabs.com and be on the lookout for more announcements soon!

IMPACT: If there’s one thing I’ll take away from my time at London Business School, it’s a significantly better appreciation of the word Impact. It redefined my life priorities and at the #LBSABS level, we pursued this along three verticals:

• This year, we launch the Accel Awards, an annual business start-up contest organized by London Business School’s Africa Club in collaboration with club alumni and corporate partners including FTSE 100 companies, venture capital firms, entrepreneurship incubators and media companies. Top 3 finalists’ flights will be sponsored to London and they stand a chance to win from a pot of GBP15k.

• There will be more time for networking at the summit, as we would like summit guests to form more meaningful connections from the high-quality network at #LBSABS. To facilitate this, guests will have access to Crowd Compass to facilitate connections and networking during the summit. These conversations will continue at the gala dinner, which ends with our classic after party, that promises to be another spectacular event!

• To facilitate recruiting discussions, event and career fair sponsors will have stands on the sidelines of the summit to meet with summit attendees. They will also have access to the CV book of attendees who express interest during signup in exploring recruiting opportunities. #LBSABS attracts the best and widest range of professionals, students and Africans in the diaspora, which makes it a prime event to spot top talent. If your organization would like to be involved, please reach out to us via the website.

In summary, “Scaling for Impact” is about exploring the evolving realities of growing businesses at scale in Africa, as well as how to do this while making meaningful impact. The date is May 12. The venue is Landmark Hotel, Marylebone, London. And the event is the 17th London Business School Africa Business Summit.

See you there!

Adesoji Solanke

Co-President – The Africa Club

London Business School

The 4th word is: ‘FUN’ – A scene from the 2017 #LBSABS afterparty

Director
Director
Send PM
Join the MiF in August 2021: Applications now open [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Join the MiF in August 2021: Applications now open
by Lucky Singh, MiF Recruitment Manager

Applications are now open for our Masters in Finance (MiF) Full-time and Part-time August 2021 intakes.

We understand the time and effort that goes into a MiF application,
and with the Round 1 application deadline fast approaching, we want to
highlight the MiF application deadlines and process.

All deadlines are at 13.00 UK time.

MiF Full-time deadlines:

MiF Part-time deadlines:

• Your application must be
    complete before it is considered – we must receive all documents by the
    deadline for you to be considered in that round. This includes receipt of your
    references from the two referees you have nominated
  • Please note preference for
    scholarships will be given to candidates who apply in rounds 1-4 (MiF
    full-time) and rounds 1-5 (MiF part-time)

“We have deadlines to enable us to manage a high volume of applications and set your expectations on how long you will wait to hear back from us. Every deadline is a busy one! The dates above are a guide to the maximum decision times in each admissions round.  We review applications and release decisions throughout each round, so you might decide to submit a few weeks before an application deadline – if you do so, you can expect a correspondingly earlier review decision from us.  Apply as early as possible – but don’t rush your application. Competition is often more intense in the final rounds.  Allow yourself plenty of time to reflect on the essay questions and write your answers!”
Peter Johnson, MiF Senior Recruitment & Admissions Manager

Although a large portion of our places are filled in the earlier
rounds, we hold back places for the final rounds, in order to build the class diversity
we are seeking. What we don’t want to do is frontload our admissions process
and sacrifice our class diversity.

We are ranked as the best post-experience Masters in Finance Programme in the world, with an excellent London location and outstanding employment success, we also have an incredibly diverse class both in nationalities and finance backgrounds represented. To get a better understanding of the diversity of our class you can download the MiF 2019 intake class directories here.

Throughout the application process the Recruitment and Admissions
team are here to help and support you. Before you apply, you can submit your CV
here
and we will provide an informal review of your eligibility and fit for the Programme.

If you have any questions about the MiF application process, you can
contact the MiF Recruitment and Admissions Team at mif@london.edu

We wish you success with your application!

The post Join the MiF in August 2021: Applications now open appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
Early Career 2021 intake applications are official now open! [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Early Career 2021 intake applications are official now open!
By Malak Hammoud, Recruitment Manager MiM, GMiM & MFA

We understand a lot of time and effort is invested in preparing a strong Early Career application, especially when you’re juggling your final undergraduate year or employment all at the same time. Whether you’re interested in applying to the MiM, GMiM, MFA or MAM programmes you will find that the deadlines and process is the same across all of these Early Careers programmes. We want to break down the 2020/21 recruitment cycle and share some useful tips on a few of the application elements. 

So you can plan ahead, it’s crucial that you are aware of the dates and deadlines. We operate a ‘staged admissions’ process, which are made up of five rounds starting from September until May. The reason for the different rounds is to allow us to process a high volume of applications efficiently. Competition is often intense in the final months so we recommend you apply as early as possible. If you submit your application earlier than a deadline round this does not mean you will hear an earlier outcome – your application will be reviewed once the upcoming deadline has passed.

The table below highlights the specific dates you can expect to hear if you are granted an interview and when to expect the final decision. If you are applying abroad you will be asked to select three preferred interview cities and will attempt to connect you with alumni in your region to conduct the interview. If there is no availability you will be offered a Skype interview instead with a member of the admissions committee.

Applications are reviewed holistically, hence, every part of
your application plays an equal role when being reviewed. I understand that the
applications are lengthy so please take your time on each section. I want to
break down the important components that can contribute to a successful
applications.

One page CV:

This is
a glimpse into your professional and academic achievements so far. It’s often
your first opportunity to sell yourself to the Admissions Committee and be a
memorable applicant. Check out our blog on what welook for in a CV and us the CV template we recommend. Below
are a few points to consider as an EC applicant. 

• Involvement in societies/community
    involvement/ impact 
  • International exposure/ seeking
    exposure/ personal interests
  • Quality of work experience/
    internships/ relevance to sector
  • Extracurricular involvement/ entrepreneurial
    experience/ leadership traits
  • Skills/ personal development/
    accomplishments and achievements   

Transcripts:

Applicants must submit a transcript or list of
grades for all studies at university level that contributed to the award of a
degree. If you are applying and have not yet completed
your degree you will need to request a transcript that is current at the time
of applying. Remember to also submit
copies of any professional qualifications that you are listing within your application.
If these documents are not in English, then you should provide a translation.
We only require copies of your academic transcripts at this application stage.

GMAT/GRE:

You must take either the GMAT or GRE before you submit your application. If you have not received your official score report by the time you submit, we do accept the unofficial score report as evidence. There is no preference between GMAT and GRE – we accept either. What score should you aim for? Check out the class average score for your programme of interest. If you already have a score however you plan to retake the exam after a specific deadline round, please upload your old score along with due date you are expected to retake so we can anticipate an updated score from you. You can practice the GMAT test with London Business School’s GMAT simulator and prepare yourself for the test.

References:

No, it’s not a reference letter, it’s easier. You will need to
submit the names and details of one academic and one professional referee. Once
you complete their details online, they will receive an email with a link to
brief online form they will need to complete and submit by the application deadline that you are submitting
your application within otherwise your application will be deemed incomplete. I
would recommend selecting individuals who know you well and can provide
specific feedback on their interactions with you either in the classroom or
workplace.

Essays:

Articulate your interests, values
and goals! The essay questions are designed to be tailored to your own personal
experiences so it’s crucial that you portray the right message that reflects
your ambitions within the word limit. It’s a great opportunity to tell us more
about yourself. Make it personal to you. Take your time to tailor your answers
to portray your skills and personality to fit the programme of choice. We are
interested in what motivates you, evidence of leadership and teamwork, why LBS
and what you will bring to the LBS community. Do your research. Reach out to
our student ambassadors, learn about our community and clubs. The more you know, the better you can
contribute to our global community.

How can we
support you?

We are here every step of the
way till you submit your online application.

• Tailored feedback
    to improve the strength of your overall profile
  • Face to
    face/phone/video consultations
  • Updates on
    relevant virtual and invite only [url=https://www.london.edu/events/calendar#sort=%40eventstarts%20ascending&f:programme=[MAM,MFA,MIM]]events[/url]  
  • Overall application support/
    general enquires
  • Relevant materials and online resources

How to get in touch?

Masters in Management/ Global Masters in Management mim@london.edu Masters in Financial analysis – mfa@london.edu Masters in Analytics and Management – mam@london.edu

Get in touch and begin your journey at LBS!

The post Early Career 2021 intake applications are official now open! appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
Why London Business School is the place to study your Masters [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Why London Business School is the place to study your Masters
If you’re reading this you probably have already decided that you want to pursue a Masters degree. You may be researching your field of interest, exploring UK based options or have a particular interest in LBS. Wherever you are in the process there are undoubtedly factors to consider when selecting the best institute that will equip you with the recipe for success. Here at LBS we challenge conventional wisdom, transform careers and empower our people to change the way the world does business. Here’s why LBS is one to consider if you’re looking for a truly transformational postgraduate experience.

In the heart of London

Becoming an LBS student means you also become part of one of the world’s most dynamic and lively cities. London is at the forefront of global business, trade, finance innovation and culture which is the perfect environment for career opportunities, from cutting edge FinTech startups to the luxury retail industry or if you are kick-starting your career in trade London’s Stock Exchange is steps away, the opportunities are endless. Balancing your studies and career with an exciting social scene is the best way to let your hair down. Whether you are into the championship tennis at Wimbledon, retail shopping at Bond Street or a fun night out in Piccadilly Circus you will find something to enjoy. With London as an extension of your campus, you’ll have constant opportunities to explore and enjoy this incredible city.

Engage with a global family

At LBS, we pride ourselves on our outstanding peer group. We travel to all 4 corners of the globe to recruit our international, diverse classes of students. Each year, we have 2200 students across our 12 degree programmes, representing over 130 nationalities. The LBS community is diverse, not just by nationalities but by the range of experience levels of its students. As an Early Career student you network with MBA, MiF and our leadership students who have on average twelve years’ experience. These individuals are easily accessible and quickly become part of your network through shared electives, clubs/societies and even as your mentors. Your LBS journey continues past graduation with more than 45,000 alumni across 155 countries make up our thriving LBS alumni community. You can learn more about our Alumni and student ambassadors’ profiles [url=https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/student-alumni-and-ambassadors#sort=%40profilesurname%20ascending&f:profiletype=[Ambassadors,Other%20(Student%2FAlumni)]]here[/url].

Career impact

So how much of an impact will this journey have on your career development? The LBS Career Centre team supports students via the EEDD framework – exploring, evaluating, developing and doing – to identify and refine your career goals and equip you with the knowledge and tools to successfully secure internships or a permanent role in your function, sector and location of choice. On campus there are a large range of interactive workshops, which are helpful to scope out your career plan and figure out your timeline of when you should be doing things throughout the year. In addition there are plenty of networking opportunities on campus attended by recruiters and alumni that focus on different industries and sectors. Speakers and alumni also visit the School to offer their experience and insights, and highlight trends shaping the business landscape. A small sample of events includes the China Business Forum, Global Energy Summit, Private Equity Conference, Art Investment Conference, and Middle East Day.

Benefit from the access to book one-on-one career coaching, which are tailored to your specific career goals and helps you to evaluate your career options, as well as prepare for interviews. You can practice interviews with your career coach and discuss how to prepare for recruitment tests. You also have access to book peer leader meetings which are one-on-ones with MBA students who have done internships in the sectors you are interested in, to get their perspective to master the interview process and what it’s like to work in those firms. All the support that our students receive is reflected in our annual employment reports reflecting each class’s employment stats.

Unique learning elements

LBS fosters a remarkable learning experience, from the academic rigor of the programme to a hands-on approach through experiential learning.

• The elective portfolio will provide you with an exciting opportunity to customise your degree and build the foundations of your future career. The electives are unique in that you will have the opportunity to engage with students from across all the degree programmes in the classroom. You will have access to over 60 electives! 
  • Global exposure is a key differentiator in world-class leadership development. Transformative and rich, faculty-led Global Immersion Field Trips (GIFT) are integral to your degree.

Check out our Early Careers Masters to learn more!

The post Why London Business School is the place to study your Masters appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
London Business School Community – Activities, Clubs and Groups [#permalink]
Kudos
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: London Business School Community – Activities, Clubs and Groups
Looking to make an impact as a London Business School student? Interested in forming friendships with peers who have similar interests? If so, you will find an abundance of opportunities from treks to students-led events and everything in between. LBS clubs create cutting-edge experiences and our active alumni and professional interest networks will keep you connected far beyond your student years.

With more than 75 clubs, over 1000 club events each year and over 150 student leaders there are a lot of ways for students to refine their leadership and organisational management experience, explore interests, and make friendships that will last a lifetime. I sat down with Kathryn Larin (MBA 2021), Shira Giat (MiFFT 2020) and Serena Grillo (MAM 2020) for a webinar event to learn about their involvement in the clubs and LBS community.

How
would you describe the LBS community?

All three echoed how collaborative, open and supportive they felt the community is. From before you even set foot on campus, both students and staff are open to give their time when answering prospects’ questions. Kathryn, who is an ambassador, explains that she speaks to prospective students daily, supporting them through the application process; something she enjoys doing as it replicates the support she was given. Serena used the word ‘welcoming’ when describing the community. She attended our online and in person events during her application process and found she was easily able to connect with students and faculty who supported her every step of the way and continued to throughout her study year. Shira highlighted that the network opportunities are endless. The ability to learn from other people’s professional experiences, and the diversity of your peers, enhances the learning experience which makes the discussions in class and outside class very fruitful.

Which
clubs did you choose to be involved with?   

Kathryn explained that her background knowledge was in investment, however she wanted to explore something new and decided to immerse herself in the entrepreneurship world. She had little knowledge about the trends or how the venture capital model worked, therefore by joining the entrepreneurship club and attending the events she found this to be useful exposure and through these events she connected with a class mate who was organising the Hackathon. If you’ve never heard of a Hackathon, that’s not surprising. It’s an event that promotes finding new solutions to problems, while showcasing the best in team collaboration. Coders, designers and business minds come together to build, pitch and win funding with their original ideas.

For Shira the private equity and venture capital club was her club of choice due to its relevance to her studies and career aspirations.  The club organises many speaker events; for example, Shira attended an investing in e-sports event which featured Adam White -CEO of Edge to discuss investing in the gaming industry – which is even trendier now that we are locked at home. Shira added that the club also organises high quality modelling workshops which supported her in further developing her modelling skills. In addition they organise case competitions like the Harvard Global Case competition. The event brings together students with finance and business backgrounds from across the world to compete on a finance case involving strategic management. She explained that the best teams are selected to present their ideas in front of a panel of judges competing with schools from all around the world. Shira found this to be a brilliant experience which combined a great learning experience with a lot of fun and she is proud to have been one of the finalists in the competition! 

Serena knew early on that she wanted to be involved in the Tech and Media Club as this is a passion which has decided to pursue as a career. She joined the club as she wanted to input more to support the first ever MAM class, and with it being the first technical programme, she found that students needed further support when it came to applying to tech jobs and further developing their technical skills to compete in the job market. She wanted to represent her MAM class and their interests and also learn from others from the club.

To learn more about what the students get
involved in and what the LBS community has to offer watch the full webinar here.

The post London Business School Community – Activities, Clubs and Groups appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
A Plan, a Pandemic and a Pregnancy [#permalink]
Kudos
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: A Plan, a Pandemic and a Pregnancy

I started thinking about an MBA about 7 years ago. While I definitely didn’t have the experience or the confidence to be a part of a community such as the one at London Business School, it was definitely something that I wanted to pursue at some point during my career. The pandemic and the new structure of classes was definitely not something that was part of the plan, but after having put in the effort into planning, including the dreaded GMAT prep, I wanted to pursue the plan in spite of the changed circumstances.

The one thing that did not change was a planned pregnancy. This is my second pregnancy and when I had my first child, I realised that while I enjoyed the time I spent at home with my new baby, I missed the mental stimulation from the work place. I wanted to make sure that I had the opportunity to exercise my mental faculties while I was on maternity leave this time round. I have heard multiple different opinions, and I know that circumstances and situations change.

The one thing that I didn’t know was how my ground experience at LBS was going to be? Am I going to be able to contribute to my study group? Could I stand for and be a good rep? Can I manage work, studying, kids and all the other things on my plate of tasks to juggle? Would I have post-natal depression again which can derail many things?

I am only at the very beginning of my journey at LBS. I have had nothing but support so far from the school, my cohort and my study group. The one thing I didn’t know was the scale of support on offer. It would have potentially made me apply to be a part of the LBS community sooner! I did not have any information on LBS with regards to their maternity policies prior to my communication with the programme office. I know it would have helped me and made me much calmer about this decision if I had known about the facilities at the school.

I reached out to the school and offered to blog about my EMBA experiences, so this is very much the first of many over the next two years. I promise not to sugar coat the experience – morning sickness, sleeping through deadlines, socialising in a pandemic, diary conflicts and nursing schedules will all make an appearance. I hope to bring in the voices of other women who have been through a pregnancy and their EMBA and my peers on their honest reflection of how my circumstances impacted their journey. I do however have to make my blog anonymous at this point in time as I have not informed my work place yet. I am sure they will be as supportive in this as they have been about my choice to pursue the EMBA, but I am still plagued by my own inhibitions.

I know that every woman is different. I do hope that my journey helps you quell some of the voices at the back of your mind and encourages you on this journey. I am also happy for you to reach out to me (through the school at this stage), so I can help answer any questions you may still have.

The post A Plan, a Pandemic and a Pregnancy appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
EMBA-GLOBAL: THOUGHT LEADERSHIP HIGHLIGHTS SEPTEMBER 2020 [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: EMBA-GLOBAL: THOUGHT LEADERSHIP HIGHLIGHTS SEPTEMBER 2020
World-class thought leadership faculty and research from London Business School and Columbia Business School

The post EMBA-GLOBAL: THOUGHT LEADERSHIP HIGHLIGHTS SEPTEMBER 2020 appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
Masters in Finance: How to submit a strong early application [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Masters in Finance: How to submit a strong early application
Applications
for the Masters in Finance (MiF) programme starting in August 2021 are open! As
our first application deadline on Tuesday 29th September is fast
approaching, we wanted to guide you through how to submit a strong, early
application.

Applications are highly competitive in the later rounds, therefore we encourage you to submit your application as early as possible. This also increases your chances of being considered for our scholarships. Please see all application deadlines for our 2021 intake here.

The most important thing before starting your application, is to do your research. Get a thorough understanding of the MiF by visiting our website and downloading our brochure. Learn more about the student body and career impact by downloading our class directory and employment report. Develop your awareness of the MiF student experience by speaking to our Current Students, Ambassadors and Alumni. Have your questions answered live during one of our many events.

We in the MiF Recruitment Team also help and support you across the research and applying stages. Any questions, you can email us at mif@london.edu. You can submit your profile for review, and we will informally assess your eligibility for the programme. We also host one-to-one consultations, where we answer your questions and provide you with tailored application support.

Once you have completed your research, the next step is to start your application. You will be required to fill out our online application form, which involves submitting a GMAT or GRE score, two essay questions, a one page CV, your academic transcripts and two professional references.

Applications
are reviewed holistically, therefore all aspects of your application are
measured equally by the MiF Admissions Committee.

Below
is an explanation of the the individual application requirements in more
detail.

GMAT/GRE

So we can assess your quantitative
ability to ensure you can keep up with the rigor of the programme, we require a
GMAT or GRE score. We have no preference between GMAT or GRE. A strong GMAT
score is 650 or above, and for GRE we look for around 160 in the quantitative
section, and 155 in the verbal section. You can also submit your application in
advance of GMAT or GRE as we do make conditional offers.

For a small number of candidates, we waive the GMAT/GRE requirement. If you have CFA L2 then you will automatically receive a GMAT/GRE waiver.  We also grant GMAT/GRE waivers to candidates with strong grades at undergraduate and postgraduate level, especially those who have studied quantitative subjects, and who have outstanding professional finance work experience. Professional qualifications like CFA Level I, FRM, CPA and ACCA will increase your chances of getting a waiver. To apply for a GMAT/GRE waiver, please share your CV and your undergraduate and postgraduate transcripts with us at mif@london.edu.

Two essay questions

Our
two essay questions are focused on why you are interested in studying the
Masters in Finance at LBS, and how will you will contribute to our community. Remember,
there is no right or wrong answer. Use the essays to tell us your story, and to
highlight your personality. Demonstrate your leadership potential, your global
mind-set, and showcase your academic capabilities.

CV and
transcripts

You must include a one page CVin our recommended CV template and your academic transcripts. We require transcripts from your undergraduate and any postgraduate degrees. If your transcripts are not in English, they will need to be translated.

References

We
require two references from you, and these should ideally be professional i.e.
by someone you have worked with and who know you very well. The seniority of
your referee does not matter as much as the quality your reference. Please note
that these need to be submitted before we can start reviewing your application.
You should give your referees sufficient time to prepare and submit the
reference, and spend time explaining your motivations to them, so that they can
complete the reference thoroughly.

Once you have submitted your application, the Admissions team will inform you about whether you have been selected for interview or not. This is conducted by our Alumni. For a deeper insight into the interview stage, take a look at our bloghere. 

If you have any questions or require further information, please contact us at mif@london.edu Best of luck with your application!

The post Masters in Finance: How to submit a strong early application appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
Hello from the MiF Recruitment and Admissions Team [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Hello from the MiF Recruitment and Admissions Team
As the Recruitment &
Admissions team for the Masters in Finance programme (MiF), we are here to
support you, from the point when you are researching into the school and the
programme, after you have applied, and right up until you become a Masters in
Finance student.

We are here to provide you
with all of the information you need to understand which business school is
right for you, and which programme is the best fit for you. We can also guide
you on when to apply, take a look at our blog on MiF application deadlines here.

[b]Get
to know the team[/b]

I’d like to introduce you
to the people you will meet on your admissions journey.

[b]Charlotte
Tait  [/b]

MiF
Student Recruitment Associate

Charlotte has been at LBS for just under 2 years now, and will be the first person you speak to at LBS. Charlotte is here to answer all your queries about the programme and application process via our [email=mif@london.edu]mif@london.edu[/email] email as well as by phone. She will also give you personalised support and feedback on your profile and fit for the programme. In between recruiting for the MiF you will most likely find her planning her next brunch in London! 

[img]https://admissionsblog.london.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/charlotte-tait-graphic.jpg[/img]

“A bit about me… Before
joining LBS I was living in Thailand for three years, teaching English in an
International School in Bangkok. Living in Thailand has given me a love of
travelling, warm weather and spicy foods!”

[b]Lucky
Singh [/b]

MiF
Recruitment Manager

That’s me! I’ve been Recruiting for the MiF for about a year and a half and have enjoyed every minute of it. Along with Charlotte, my job is to give you all the information you need about LBS and the programme, as well as to support you throughout the application process. I host one-to-one consultations, lead on various events and write a range of blogs, to ensure you can submit the best possible application for the MiF.

[img]https://admissionsblog.london.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/lucky-graphic.jpg[/img]

I have been fortunate
enough to have met prospective students and alumni in Peru, Mexico, India,
Europe, Thailand and Vietnam. Outside of work, you will most likely find me
baking cakes or planning my next trip!

[b]Alexander
Petterson and Lucy Palin [/b]

MiF
Recruitment and Admissions Managers

Lucy and Alex have a wealth of experience admitting students into the MiF programme, and are responsible for reviewing your applications and guiding you through the admissions process.

[img]https://admissionsblog.london.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/alex-graphic.jpg[/img]

Originally from the
north-east of England, County Durham, Alex has been with LBS for over six years
and enjoys working in a diverse and collaborative community. Alex is the
regional manager for full-time applications from Africa, Asia, Australasia and
the Middle East, whilst managing half of the part-time admissions.

In his spare time Alex
enjoys keeping active, regularly playing football and running whilst taking a
keen interest in geo-political events.

“I thoroughly enjoy meeting people from all over the world and building relationships within the LBS Community. I find recruiting and admitting candidates for the MiF extremely rewarding, watching our students succeed in their careers and becoming successful Alumni is very fulfilling. Joining LBS is only the beginning of their journey, our Admissions process is unique and extremely thorough, we have excellent support from the Career Centre who we regularly consult with to ensure we select a highly talented and diverse cohort.”

[img]https://admissionsblog.london.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/lucy-graphic.jpg[/img]

“As the regional
Admissions Manager for North and South America, Europe and Russia, my role is
two-fold. I work with my team to recruit and admit a MiF class full of bright
and diverse minds whilst supporting all Candidates and Admits in my region
throughout their admissions experience. I love that I get to know so many
interesting people (you!)

As for me… I’m a rare
find at LBS, a born and raised Londoner. However, I have also lived in
Australia and Colombia; I think experiencing life in another country is one of
the best things you can do. If I’m not travelling, I’m cooking up feasts from
around the world – I can tell you where to find any ingredient in London.

[b]Peter
Johnson [/b]

[b]Senior
Recruitment & Admissions Manager, MiF [/b]

Peter has been at the school for an incredible 35 years and has been responsible for admitting all 26 MiF classes. Peter leads the MiF Admissions team and chairs the MiF Admissions Committee. He reviews every application, and supports you once you have applied, right up until you start the programme.

[img]https://admissionsblog.london.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/pj-graphic.jpg[/img]

“My primary challenge is to ‘build the class’, making sure we make offers to the best people, creating a diverse class where everyone will benefit from their LBS experience, but also add to our amazing community. We aim to create a great mix of nationalities, but also to ensure that there is a range of different finance backgrounds represented, as this adds so much to the learning experience.

About me? 35+ years at LBS and a founder member of the MiF Team.  I was brought up in the Lake District in North England and live in North London with my husband Patrick and a houseful of pets. I’m also proud to be a founder member of the Schools LGBTQ+ network.  My interests include wine and opera – ideally together…’’

[b]What’s
next?[/b]

I hope you now know a
little bit more about the MiF Recruitment and Admissions team, and how we can
support you through the application process.

We would love to hear from you and have a chat with you, please email [email=mif@london.edu]mif@london.edu[/email] to get in touch.

You can also get to know our student community by getting in touch with our student ambassadors and alumni [url=https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/student-alumni-and-ambassadors]here.[/url]

Our first application deadline is Tuesday 29 September at 13.00, click here to [url=https://www.london.edu/apply?programmeApplyOnlineParameterValue=5&apply=true&itemId=557e20b2-4bd4-4140-9270-3831b8753123&servicePageReferer=557e20b2-4bd4-4140-9270-3831b8753123]apply.[/url]

The post [url=https://admissionsblog.london.edu/hello-from-the-mif-recruitment-and-admissions-team/]Hello from the MiF Recruitment and Admissions Team[/url] appeared first on [url=https://admissionsblog.london.edu]Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School[/url].
Director
Director
Send PM
And So, It Begins… [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: And So, It Begins…
This next
post in my EMBA and pregnancy chronicles comes on the heels of an amazing
summer and orientation week. I joined the cohort as one of the very first
admits into the batch. The handful of us waited with bated breath to see who
would join us in our journey over the next two years. I initiated the https://gmatclub.com/chat
group with a few of the early admits. To digress slightly, I would highly
recommend building this rapport with the group early on. We have laughed
together, lifted each other’s spirits and supported one another through this
simple group in the past 6 months.

Another aspect which we coordinated through the https://gmatclub.com/chat group was bi-weekly Zoom socials. Initially, we kicked these off as having general conversations and getting to know each other. As time progressed, we had quizzes and discussions on clarification points from the programme office. This was also supplemented by 1-2-1 sessions that I organized with some members of the cohort. Through the initial pregnancy days, this virtual interaction was extremely helpful as there was no worrying about food, drink and morning sickness interfering with getting to know people.

As we moved into the summer and lockdown started easing slowly, there were more socials organised. Keeping in mind safety due to now being at higher risk, and general pregnancy symptoms, I joined in with some weekend events, but used my non-London base as my main reason behind staying away from the mid-week socials. The socialisation worries I had were definitely assuaged in large part due to the pandemic.

As we moved
into August – we got visibility of our pre-courses and class schedules. I had
bad migraines through the first trimester, which certainly didn’t help with
focusing on the pre-courses. It didn’t impact me too much as the pre-courses
were in Accounting and Data.

Orientation
week proved to be a lot more difficult. If you are joining the EMBA cohort, you
have likely not been in a structured classroom setting for a long period of
time. Don’t forget, this is also the first time the school rolled out hybrid
learning. Where I thought pregnancy made me tired, full days of classes (the
first with no unstructured breaks) definitely took a huge toll on me. However,
I was not the only one exhausted – the wider cohort felt that way too. As we
progressed, the breaks were timelier and more structured which helped.

Keep in mind though, as we move past the pandemic, orientation week is a week of intense socialisation. Usually, we would all congregate in London at a hotel and embed ourselves in each other’s lives through the week. This time orientation week was virtual with distanced socials planned due to the pandemic. I chose to attend a few socials, again keeping in mind risk factors and the need for breaks. I got away from drinking with the driving card, but have your story prepped to go.

I’ll go
into assignments, readings and class participation in the next post. What I’d
like to finish with this time is ensuring you go in eyes wide open (hopefully
my story helps you do this) – you will get tired, you will have FOMO from not
being able to attend some socials (think treks, intense workouts, Crystal Maze
etc.). However, rest assured that this will only impact your journey as much as
you want it to.

The post And So, It Begins… appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
October Recruitment Events [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: October Recruitment Events
Considering applying to one of our programmes? Interested in finding out more about the LBS experience? We have a whole host of events this month, all happening virtually, to give you some insight into studying at London Business School.

The locations mentioned below are to inform on time zones rather than where they will physically be held.

UK
Date
MBA Overview02/10/2020Reaching Out LGBTQ MBA and Business Graduate Conference03/10/2020QS Virtual World MBA Tour: UK03/10/2020QS Virtual Connect Masters: UK04/10/2020QS Virtual World Grad School Tour: UK04/10/2020CentreCourt MBA Festival06/10/2020 – 08/10/2020Executive MBA Alumni Panel and Q&A: “Life Post-Executive MBA”06/10/2020Q&A with the Early Career Recruitment & Admissions Team06/10/2020MBA Overview09/10/2020Q&A with the Early Career Recruitment & Admissions Team13/10/2020How the Career Centre Supports Executive MBA Students13/10/2020MBA Overview16/10/2020Masters in Finance Alumni Series: In conversation with UK Alumni16/10/2020Early Career Programmes: The Student Perspective20/10/2020Q&A with the Masters in Finance Recruitment & Admissions Team20/10/2020MBA Overview23/10/2020Meet Up with Sloan Alumni26/10/2020Q&A with the Early Career Recruitment & Admissions Team27/10/2020How to Manage Work-Life Balance on the Executive MBA London Programme28/10/2020MBA Overview30/10/2020USA and Canada
Forté MBA Forum West Coast13/10/2020In collaboration with Manhattan Prep: Diversity in the MBA15/10/2020Europe
QS Virtual World MBA Tour: France10/10/2020QS Virtual Connect Masters: France10/10/2020E-Fellows MBA Day in Frankfurt10/10/2020QS Virtual World Grad School Tour: North Italy15/10/2020QS Virtual Connect MBA: Spain21/10/2020Amsterdam MBA Fair 2020, Ivy Circle Netherlands22/10/2020MBA2U in Northern and Western Europe27/10/2020MBA2U in Southern and Central Europe29/10/2020Middle East
How to Manage Work-Life Balance on the Executive MBA Dubai Programme27/10/2020

You can view all events here.

For any enquiries regarding upcoming events please contact mastersevents@london.edu.

The post October Recruitment Events appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
Digital for Impact – Week 1: Creating an impact in a virtual context [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Digital for Impact – Week 1: Creating an impact in a virtual context
[b] By Giri Kesavan (MBA2021) [/b]

Giri is the Co-President of The Tech & Media Club at London Business School. An MBA2021 student, he also chairs the degree & careers wide Technology Sector Steering Committee, working with the school, faculty, industry, alumni and Careers Centre on Technology education & careers. Giri works with The Wheeler Institute on content development, outreach and student-led collaborations. He is further involved with the school as an MBA Academic Representative and Peer Leader for Technology. 

[img]https://admissionsblog.london.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/image-1.png[/img]

Experiential learning has played a key role in my time at London Business School. Bringing the knowledge that we learn in the classroom to an industry context, from London across the world. The move towards virtual learning has opened up new opportunities for students to interact globally at LBS. This Autumn, I’m part of a new and exciting pilot course by Experiential Learning called ‘Digital for Impact,’ focusing on remote consulting in emerging economies. 

Student teams from across the school have been paired with a variety of small & medium sized businesses across Uganda, Rwanda, Ghana and Nigeria. Over the next few months, we’re going to be looking at how technology can help transform these businesses in emerging economies by acting as remote consultants, and utilising our skills to advise, mentor and help businesses to create lasting impact.   

One of the unique aspects about this course at LBS is that it brings together students from multiple degree programmes and backgrounds to work together in cross-functional, global teams. In our team, I’m working with classmates across the EMBA (Columbia), EMBA (HKU), EMBA (Dubai) and Sloan leadership programmes. Indeed, a lot of our initial discussion in this first week has been completely off topic – learning about each other’s backgrounds and understanding the unique skills and qualities we can bring to the team. With peer learning being such a focus at the school, we’ve had a great time interacting, not only across the MBA, but across degree programmes. This course has provided a unique way of networking across the School even whilst face-to-face meetings are not possible.  

We kicked off Digital for Impact this week with an introduction from Rajesh Chandy & Costas Markides. While all MBA courses at LBS are steeped with industry – this slide particularly stood out to me: 

[img]https://admissionsblog.london.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/image.png[/img]

With ambiguous experiences, an evolving problem statement and learning that is grounded on transformation, rather than transmission of knowledge – it was a very different start to any other course we’ve had at LBS! Indeed, we need to start with that most basic question: ‘So…what exactly [b]is [/b]the problem?’ 

[img]https://admissionsblog.london.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/image-2.png[/img]

Our particular team is going to be working with [url=https://xente.co/]Xente[/url], a Ugandan fintech offering a one-stop mobile shopping experience, enabling customers to pay bills & fees, book events and transportation tickets as well as providing an e-commerce platform for buying and selling of goods. What struck me is how excited the organisation is to work with us! They can’t wait to talk to us…and we can’t wait to talk to them. 

The fun part about experiential learning is always how excited everyone is to interact across countries, across timezones, across functions and across the school. From informal catch ups with Rajesh & Costas over the course of the week, check-ins with the Experiential Learning team, informal conversations with Xente to get to know each other and build trust – this course is creating a great community that can truly transform business! 

Looking forward to sharing my experiences over the next 10 weeks in this new weekly blog series about Experiential Learning at London Business School!

The post [url=https://admissionsblog.london.edu/digital-for-impact-creating-impact-virtual-context/]Digital for Impact – Week 1: Creating an impact in a virtual context[/url] appeared first on [url=https://admissionsblog.london.edu]Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School[/url].
GMAT Club Bot
Digital for Impact – Week 1: Creating an impact in a virtual context [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4  ...  22