Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:50 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NUS, NTU, SMU, AGSM, Melbourne School of Business
 Q39  V28
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Energy
Schools:Rice, UH, Texas, Texas A&M
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q39  V28
Send PM
Re: Final stages of R2 GMAT preparations - All Opinions welcomed [#permalink]
calical wrote:
Maybe I missed it, but did you take any prep class :?:

Yes calical. I did take a reputed local prep class. It definitely helped me alot in terms of Quant concepts. But the teaching was only content-based. No strategy-based teaching. That was one drawback that I realised only after joining this website.
Manager
Manager
 Q39  V28
Send PM
mohater wrote:
Just to supplement your confidence:

I never broke 680 on any practice test (MGMAT and GMATPrep).

I scored a 710 on the real thing.

Assuming you can control your nerves on the real thing, you should be good to go.

Thanks mohater. That is a definite boost for me. :)
Please feel free to add any other views/opinions you have. I am all ears. :)
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
bhanushalinikhil wrote:

Have you seen the strategy thread (see my sig for link to strategy discussion and strategy master).

Although strategies are useful, I have found too many prep books/programs focus on strategy and answer elimination. I think prep companies should give content prep its due time and then supplement the content with strategies.

If you have solid grounding in the content, working on your timing and strategies should not be very difficult to become proficient in.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Kellog(R3),Olin (R3),Owen (R4),Tepper(R3),Johnson (R4)
Send PM
Im in the same situation as you. I had consistently been scoring 700+ on MGMAT and a 740 and 760 on the GMATPrep Tests. On test day I let my anxiety and preoccupied mind get in the way as I ended with a 650. I felt devastated as I failed to perform to my own expectations. When I came to this forum, I found countless posts about people that scored at or above all their practice tests when it came to the real deal and realized that I need to work on maintaining a calm attitude and clear conscience.

To prove my theory, i borrowed a friends Kaplan CD and took a CAT exam there. When I saw the score of 730, I realized that it wasnt my mental abilities or study preparations that killed me. The GMAT is all about little tricks in wording and if you arent calm and focused you miss those, and hence miss the question.

My retake is OCT 3rd and up to that time i plan to just take a few full CAT exams with time in order to prep myself for the length of the test.

My initial exam was at 8 am. A time when I had never really spent studying GMAT. I therefore switched to a 12pm time and hopefully this will help me out as well.

Good luck to you.
Manager
Manager
 Q39  V28
Send PM
mohater wrote:
bhanushalinikhil wrote:

Have you seen the strategy thread (see my sig for link to strategy discussion and strategy master).

Although strategies are useful, I have found too many prep books/programs focus on strategy and answer elimination. I think prep companies should give content prep its due time and then supplement the content with strategies.

If you have solid grounding in the content, working on your timing and strategies should not be very difficult to become proficient in.

Completely agree with you on this one, mo. One has to be absolutely sure about the content.

@GrantChap :Best of luck you as well. I am sure you will do great. By the way, how do you plan to keep your self calm and not let the anxiety take over your mind?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
If nerves are your main problem, maintaining your confidence should help you stay cool throughout the exam. If you are confident in your skills and truly believe you have what it takes to answer each question correctly, you'll be less likely to freak out and rush through the questions. My friends who tend to get nervous during exams usually take a sedative beforehand (they've done extremely well, btw) but I obviously wouldn't recommend that course if you're not used to them :/
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72899 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
You seem to be on the right track everywhere. Sounds like you have used MGMAT books and now working on question practice.

Here are a few thoughts that may help:
1. Make sure you time yourself with any exercises you do. Don't just solve problems and take 4 mins per question - make sure you are always timed
2. Take full length tests with AWA
3. Print out/analyze mistakes - get a binder. I see you have an error log, but take it a step further
4. If you are not a native speaker, make sure you know all the vocab for math and as much as you can pick up for verbal
5. Study/take tests when your mind is fresh
6. Dont' take more than 6 months to prepare as your mind starts getting rusty. Pathfinder, the "former" moderator of this forum, spent half a year studying for a retake (after getting 720) and ended up with 690, so don't study for too long
7. Don't focus on practicing questions too much, rather on foundamentals. Use questions to guide you but don't try to use them to teach you

Also, you mentioned you got 690 on your GMAT Prep - can you tell us the split of questions you got wrong?

P.S. Unfortunately nothing guarantees a 700+. The score is a combination of factors, and does not have to do with intelligence or effort, rather a combination of attributes.
Manager
Manager
 Q39  V28
Send PM
bb wrote:
You seem to be on the right track everywhere. Sounds like you have used MGMAT books and now working on question practice.

Here are a few thoughts that may help:
1. Make sure you time yourself with any exercises you do. Don't just solve problems and take 4 mins per question - make sure you are always timed -
2. Take full length tests with AWA
3. Print out/analyze mistakes - get a binder. I see you have an error log, but take it a step further
4. If you are not a native speaker, make sure you know all the vocab for math and as much as you can pick up for verbal
5. Study/take tests when your mind is fresh
6. Dont' take more than 6 months to prepare as your mind starts getting rusty. Pathfinder, the "former" moderator of this forum, spent half a year studying for a retake (after getting 720) and ended up with 690, so don't study for too long
7. Don't focus on practicing questions too much, rather on foundamentals. Use questions to guide you but don't try to use them to teach you

Also, you mentioned you got 690 on your GMAT Prep - can you tell us the split of questions you got wrong?

P.S. Unfortunately nothing guarantees a 700+. The score is a combination of factors, and does not have to do with intelligence or effort, rather a combination of attributes.

Thanks bb for your views. I am certainly timing myself. Though I am going beyond my planned time limits I am certainly trying to get them down. I am not planning to extend this any longer. I am retaking it by Oct. The only reason I am planning to solve a big chunk of questions is to see the pattern in my mistakes. Once I see that, I think I should be good to go.

My previous score of 690 had split of Q49 V34.
7 Wrongs in PS, 8 in DS, 5 in SC, 3 in CR and 4 in RC.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72899 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Here is a thought - once you have a clear idea of your weaknesses, get PR 1012 - it has targeted practice, so you don't have to waste time on subjects/areas you are strong in. People report it has mistakes in explanations but 99% is right, and you can use it for your SC practice (time yourself) and possibly for RC/CR. However, I found that you need to go back to either OG or GMATPrep to get your brain tuned to the GMAT level of logic as both PR and Kaplan were not fine enough.
GMAT Club Bot