GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 15:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Firmly established by the 12th century, the various pilgrimage routes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Firmly established by the 12th century, the various pilgrimage routes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2015, 03:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (02:09) correct 69% (02:22) wrong based on 470 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Firmly established by the 12th century, the various pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela created a European-wide network of trade, people, and religious and cultural exchange, exemplified in the spread of the Romanesque style of cathedral architecture.

A. Firmly established by the 12th century, the various pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela created a European-wide network of trade, people, and religious and cultural exchange, exemplified in the spread of the Romanesque style of cathedral architecture.

B. The various pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela, firmly established by the 12th century, created a European-wide network of trade, people, and religious and cultural exchange, was exemplified in the spread of the Romanesque style of cathedral architecture.

C. The spread of the Romanesque style of cathedral architecture, exemplifying the religious and cultural exchange created by the European-wide network of trading people on the various pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela, was firmly established by the 12th century.

D. Exemplified in the spread of the Romanesque style of cathedral architecture, the various pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela were firmly established by the 12th century, creating a European-wide network of trade, people, and religious and cultural exchange.

E. Firmly established by the 12th century and exemplified in the spread of the Romanesque style of cathedral architecture, the various pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela created a European-wide network of trade and people, religious, and cultural exchange.

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Firmly established by the 12th century, the various pilgrimage routes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2015, 05:49
I will go with A.

Tough one quite tricky.

MY POE,

B shows that Santiago de Compostela was firmly established in the 12 century.. It should represent the various piligrimage routes.

C. When you close the wording in the commas... you can read that 'The spread of the roman style of cathedral.... was firmy established'

(the spread was firmly established does not make sense to me)

D. Reads that various piligrimage routes were exempliefied in the romas style.. (change the meaning)

E. Change the meaning as above and also the wrong usage of Lisiting. and the usage of 'and'

Please post OA and hightlight any my if missed anything.

A. Firmly established by the 12th century, the various pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela created a European-wide network of trade, people, and religious and cultural exchange, exemplified in the spread of the Romanesque style of cathedral architecture.

B. The various pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela, firmly established by the 12th century, created a European-wide network of trade, people, and religious and cultural exchange, was exemplified in the spread of the Romanesque style of cathedral architecture.

C. The spread of the Romanesque style of cathedral architecture, exemplifying the religious and cultural exchange created by the European-wide network of trading people on the various pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela, was firmly established by the 12th century.

D. Exemplified in the spread of the Romanesque style of cathedral architecture, the various pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela were firmly established by the 12th century, creating a European-wide network of trade, people, and religious and cultural exchange.

E. Firmly established by the 12th century and exemplified in the spread of the Romanesque style of cathedral architecture, the various pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela created a European-wide network of trade and people, religious, and cultural exchange.[/quote]

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Firmly established by the 12th century, the various pilgrimage routes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2015, 07:11
B’s main problems stem from the fact that it is a run on sentence with two working verbs ‘created’ and ‘was exemplified’ joined by just a comma. In addition, the subject of the clause is the plural ‘routes’ entails a plural verb ‘were exemplified’ . The rest of the choices are out for reasons cited by Shriram

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2015, 18:45
Hi,

In my honest opinion A is an awkward answer because it uses "exemplified" as a verb-ed modifier,and there is no main verb separately associated there.. but modifying the whole of preceding clause..We usually see only "verbing" doing so..

Regards,
Dom.
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2015, 20:52
Created is the main verb for the subject routes in A; established and exemplified are the two ‘ed’ modifiers. Established modifies the routes and exemplified modifies the network. It is an established fact that ‘ed’ modifiers can modify a distant noun, if circumstances warrant it, as in the given case. It is just not the cultural exchange alone that is exemplified in the spread of the Roman Cathedrals but the entire network.

The point is whether A is the best of the lot. Considering the other choices, A is good enough, Dom, I feel. But still, I do appreciate your own angle to the question

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
Firmly established by the 12th century, the various pilgrimage routes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2015, 22:25
shriramvelamuri wrote:
I will go with A.

Tough one quite tricky.

MY POE,

B shows that Santiago de Compostela was firmly established in the 12 century.. It should represent the various piligrimage routes.

C. When you close the wording in the commas... you can read that 'The spread of the roman style of cathedral.... was firmy established'

(the spread was firmly established does not make sense to me)

D. Reads that various piligrimage routes were exempliefied in the romas style.. (change the meaning)

E. Change the meaning as above and also the wrong usage of Lisiting. and the usage of 'and'

Please post OA and hightlight any my if missed anything.

E. Firmly established by the 12th century and exemplified in the spread of the Romanesque style of cathedral architecture, the various pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela created a European-wide network of trade and people, religious, and cultural exchange.

The modification of the various pilgrimage routes ... exemplified in D seems logically more correct.
Pls explain?

I am not an expert, so please CORRECT me if I am wrong

V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2015, 23:05
sarthaknav wrote:
The modification of the various pilgrimage routes ... exemplified in D seems logically more correct.
Pls explain?

Exemplified modifies the Network - this is the correct meaning in this question. if we understand this correctly then "A" is the only choice that remains to be picked.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 00:57
Any advice ,on option E. Why is E not correct?
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 08:30
The problem with E is that there are two back to back modifiers now modifying the various routes. Grammatically the first modifier should be touching modified noun various routes. But it is not. In addition, the second modifier starting with 'exemplified' is not even modifying the various routes in the original. It is modifying the religious and cultural exchange. This changes the meaning.

P.S. (Originally I thought that the modifier ‘exemplified …’ covers the entire network of the trade and people, religious and cultural exchange. But since the modifier refers to a style of Cathedral, a religious place, I feel it is correct to say it modifies only the cultural and religious exchange)

Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 08:55
Thanks Daagh for your reply. Two back-to-back modifier in option E, make it clearly incorrect
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 00:16
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Firmly established by the 12th century, the various pilgrimage routes &nbs [#permalink] 16 Mar 2018, 00:16

Firmly established by the 12th century, the various pilgrimage routes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap