Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:25 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
What I have come to understand since I've been at school is this: Career switching is possible if you really really want to switch into a certain industry. If you're just showing up to b-school to window shop different industries and finally say, "Ooh, investment management seems cool," but in reality you have had little interest in equities and markets, then you're not going to be successful switching. So while career switching is quite possible with an MBA, the credential just facilitates that switch for those who are very driven by passion and interest.

I could not agree more! As a career switcher myself, I first of all had to do quite a bit of research on the new career before writing my essays so that I could convince the adcom that I knew what I would be getting into. I also mentioned clubs and professional organizations I'm interested in joining. And once I start school in January, I will definitely be focusing my electives and activities on marketing (which is what I want to do). So, I guess my point is that it seems that career switchers are expected to know much earlier what they want to do with their MBA, and not stray from that path, than those who are coming in from the business world.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Jump Start is just about half finished at UW. Accounting, Stats and Excel crammed into five two hour sessions, followed by a "must pass final." We had an unusually low attrition rate this year, and not enough seats for all 118 matriculated students, so we had to find a way to defer admissions for 3-4 students for fall 08'. One brave soul has taken the offer so far.

Other than the prep, we've been bonding fast through sports events (kicked Boise State's Arse last Sat and expecting a repeat victory over OSU this Sat). Lot's of dining and, of course, drinking.

Got a recorded CEO presentation due tomorrow morning for Mgmt 510: to be critiqued for articulation, persuasiveness, content, and originality - all based on a a case we received on the FIRST DAY.

Back to the books...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ahh, glad I'm not going into IBanking or Consulting, so I have some time to learn my career switching goals (entrepreneurship or strategic planning in hi tech).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
The main problem with being uncertain about your career is that there are an awful lot of people you are competing with, and a lot of them are dead set on their career in x. So, really, you are going to struggle to compete on passion.

As for the recruitment starting early - as mentioned upthread, this is the early intros stuff. Each company presenting on why they are different and special, even though they are ultimately very similar.

The idea is to get a feel on your fit (that word, again) and work out which is your preference. And although it is a while away until interviews, it is never too early to blow yourself up with a company.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Question:

As a career switcher, how do you convince a recruiter to pick you over someone who has some experience in the field?
SVP
SVP
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
Question:

As a career switcher, how do you convince a recruiter to pick you over someone who has some experience in the field?

show cleavage.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
kidderek wrote:
Question:

show cleavage.

Don't think they'd be interested in my a$$ cleavage, though I'll give it a shot!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
Question:

Most people with experience in sth want to change at least one aspect of their pre-MBA job, otherwise they would not have come to B-school in the first place.

L.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
3underscore wrote:
The main problem with being uncertain about your career is that there are an awful lot of people you are competing with, and a lot of them are dead set on their career in x. So, really, you are going to struggle to compete on passion.

More than that, I find that just about everyone has an opinion. Some are well thought out, some not, but it can be very difficult to stand by your decision to pursue X when someone espouses the amazing opportunities in Y and how in two years they will be doing Z and making X+one billion more .... etc.

You kind of have to pick early and stick with it.

As for us, I had my first real class today. Its just been orientation up to now - tomorrow we sign up for clubs, today we elected representatives, monday I have my first real case discussion on trade negotiations for pollution of sulfur dioxide quotas, Tuesday I'm discussing Russian ice cream manufacturing for producer called fili (WTF my key points are, I dont know), Wednesday I believe I'm debating the economic value of smoking....

Its an amazing experience isnt it?
SVP
SVP
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
3underscore wrote:

More than that, I find that just about everyone has an opinion. Some are well thought out, some not, but it can be very difficult to stand by your decision to pursue X when someone espouses the amazing opportunities in Y and how in two years they will be doing Z and making X+one billion more .... etc.

You kind of have to pick early and stick with it.

As for us, I had my first real class today. Its just been orientation up to now - tomorrow we sign up for clubs, today we elected representatives, monday I have my first real case discussion on trade negotiations for pollution of sulfur dioxide quotas, Tuesday I'm discussing Russian ice cream manufacturing for producer called fili (WTF my key points are, I dont know), Wednesday I believe I'm debating the economic value of smoking....

Its an amazing experience isnt it?

Right now I'm depreciating restaurants for Wendy's. I wish I had some french fries.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
wow, that's intense!

I can see what you mean rhyme, I talked with a UCLA grad who's doing venture capitalism, and he convinced me that I should look at both VC and entrepreneurship. But I'll still focus on entrepreneurship for my essays since it sounds more focused than listing both.

I can't wait to start b-school! Please let me get in! ;)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
We've had classes for about a month now. We signed up for clubs about 3 weeks ago, and started recruiting 2 weeks ago. Just as it seemed like I was getting adjusted to the course load, recruiting demands really picked up. With company briefings, schmoozing, company office hours, school run career management, cocktail hours, and industry sessions, I'm spending about 4-6 hours a day on average for recruiting. This doesn't include time spent on follow-up emails, additional contact (informational phone calls), or informal visits I'm planning to firms in New York and possibly San Francisco.

All these events are just banks. You definitely need to decide pretty quickly which area you plan to focus on. There are often 4-5 companies presenting at the same time. There's no way to can up with 40 firms from several different industries if they will all be in campus 3-5 times in the fall for additional events, cocktail hours and the like.

When they released the first tentative recruiting schedule a few weeks ago, I saw that basically all the top banks were recruiting on campus, but was disappointed that Credit Suisse was not coming. I have previous ties to that firm from my days as a lawyer so I planned on initiating contact on my own. I now realize that this was a silly concern. There's simply no way to pursue positions with the 40 banks that are visiting campus. In fact, I spent some time last night dropping briefings I signed up for a few weeks ago. You gotta start making choices right away; there's just too much going on.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu, if you're ever in the SF Bay Area, let me know. :)

wow, I wonder if it's going to be different for an entrepreneurship career path. I might sit in on a few IB/MC companies just to see what it's like, but only the startups and VC firms interest me at the moment...
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
there's just too much going on.

That sum's it up quite nicely over here in the PacNorthwest as well.

My typical day is 6am to midnight and I still feel like I need much more time to accomplish everything required; team meetings (we just completed our charter), classes, cases, text readings, intern coaching, and lots of schmoozing...

Keep in mind that we officially started last Monday, 9/17.

We have the largest career expo of the year (NSHMBA) taking place early next month, followed by mid term exams, fall forum, and then Net Impact in Nashville. Squeezed between those three events, at least two companies will start visiting visiting campus every day until the fall quarter finishes in early December. Wouldn't it be nice to secure that almighty summer position before the holidays...
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2