Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 04:54 It is currently 02 May 2024, 04:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72969 [0]
Given Kudos: 18902
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1811 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online vs. In-Person Attempts [#permalink]
JoryMF8 wrote:
Hi everyone- I have a question regarding the overall limits for the in-person versus the online version of the GMAT....it's a bit convoluted so bear with me. I'm aware that for the traditional in-person GMAT exam, you are limited to 5 attempts per 12mo and 8 attempts all time. And up until recently, the online GMAT was offered once and would not count against any of the in-person GMAT attempt limits. According to the GMAC website, starting today (Sept. 23rd), in addition to being able to take the online version a second time, it would also start to count against the in-person GMAT attempts limit.

I currently have two GMAT tests scheduled, an online exam for Sept 25th (scheduled a few weeks ago) and an in-person exam for October 2nd. The in-person test for 10/02 would be my 5th attempt within 12 months...with the new rules, it would become my 6th. So my question is, how would GMAC account for online exams that occur after September 23rd, but were scheduled BEFORE that date. Also, I have scheduled and paid for both exams already. The normal system blocks that prevent someone from scheduling exams within 16 days of each attempt or in excess of the 5 attempt/12 month limit allowed me to book it. It seems like there's some ambiguity regarding if/when the online exams would count against the yearly & lifetime limits. My concern is that I sit for both and they end up cancelling one after the fact (potentially the better score of the two). Sorry for the wordy question but I'd like to hear your input.

You post a pertinent question and the answer is not very clear. Technically, all the testing limits now apply to every online test taken from September 23. This would mean that your sixth attempt would be impermissible.

However, the case is not so clear. When you booked your online test, you clearly went by the then prevalent rule that your online attempt would not count in the testing limits. You registered in good faith with this understanding. Since then, GMAC unilaterally changed the rules and has now brought you under the umbrella of certain limits. You clearly did not agree to these limits at the time of your registration.

I would suggest that you file a case with GMAC. Explain the above situation to them. You may even have legal grounds to pursue the matter. There are certain legal precedents here and I suspect that the courts might be interested in examining this interesting case and similar others.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes, I agree with you on this. As it currently stands, I am registered for both exams and will plan on taking them as is. But, if they do decide to take action afterwards, then I do feel like I have a legitimate argument. As much as I enjoy being right, I would rather spend my time and focus getting into grad school instead of litigating GMAC (not to mention the cost). I can't see much upside from doing that.

Hovkial wrote:
JoryMF8 wrote:
Hi everyone- I have a question regarding the overall limits for the in-person versus the online version of the GMAT....it's a bit convoluted so bear with me. I'm aware that for the traditional in-person GMAT exam, you are limited to 5 attempts per 12mo and 8 attempts all time. And up until recently, the online GMAT was offered once and would not count against any of the in-person GMAT attempt limits. According to the GMAC website, starting today (Sept. 23rd), in addition to being able to take the online version a second time, it would also start to count against the in-person GMAT attempts limit.

I currently have two GMAT tests scheduled, an online exam for Sept 25th (scheduled a few weeks ago) and an in-person exam for October 2nd. The in-person test for 10/02 would be my 5th attempt within 12 months...with the new rules, it would become my 6th. So my question is, how would GMAC account for online exams that occur after September 23rd, but were scheduled BEFORE that date. Also, I have scheduled and paid for both exams already. The normal system blocks that prevent someone from scheduling exams within 16 days of each attempt or in excess of the 5 attempt/12 month limit allowed me to book it. It seems like there's some ambiguity regarding if/when the online exams would count against the yearly & lifetime limits. My concern is that I sit for both and they end up cancelling one after the fact (potentially the better score of the two). Sorry for the wordy question but I'd like to hear your input.

You post a pertinent question and the answer is not very clear. Technically, all the testing limits now apply to every online test taken from September 23. This would mean that your sixth attempt would be impermissible.

However, the case is not so clear. When you booked your online test, you clearly went by the then prevalent rule that your online attempt would not count in the testing limits. You registered in good faith with this understanding. Since then, GMAC unilaterally changed the rules and has now brought you under the umbrella of certain limits. You clearly did not agree to these limits at the time of your registration.

I would suggest that you file a case with GMAC. Explain the above situation to them. You may even have legal grounds to pursue the matter. There are certain legal precedents here and I suspect that the courts might be interested in examining this interesting case and similar others.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22119 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi JoryMF8,

Your question is a very good one. Honestly, rather than taking any chances and risk something happening after taking these exams, I’d reach out to GMAC so you can get 100 percent clarity on what is allowed in this scenario. If you do end up speaking to them, please reach back out with an update.
GMAT Club Bot