Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Re: Firms traditionally claim that they downsize (i.e., make permanent per [#permalink]
AndrewN wrote:
aditijain1507 wrote:
Please help with question 3 again. Why is A wrong? The first line itself says that firms' traditional claim to downsize it to increase efficacy and competitiveness. Hence they do believe that the claim is true.

Hello, aditijain1507. How about we look at the question and answer choice (A) exclusively, along with the first line of the passage?

Quote:
3. The passage suggests which of the following about the claim that a firm will become more efficient and competitive by downsizing?

(A) Few firms actually believe this claim to be true.

Now, the first line of the passage:

Quote:
Firms traditionally claim that they downsize (i.e., make permanent personnel cuts) for economic reasons, laying off supposedly unnecessary staff in an attempt to become more efficient and competitive.

To my eye, we are told what firms claim, but we gain no insight into their beliefs about that claim, so answer choice (A) has no support in the passage. Break down the statement bit by bit, with an eye on the line in question.

• Few—Can we glean such a comparison?
  • believe—Where are beliefs mentioned?
  • true—Is this judgment present?

The answer to all three questions is no. A suggestion or inference question on the GMAT™ does not give you license to conjure up something that could be true. You still need to be able to put a finger on something in the text to support your answer.

GMATNinja has discussed the question in two posts above. (Just see this handy reference post if you have not already checked it out.) If you are still unsure about answer choice (A), though, let me know why you think it is justifiable, and I will do my best to disabuse you of that notion.

Thank you for following up, and good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

Thank you for this elaborate comment. Cleared my entire doubt, well almost. So few in GMAT means not all?( in 100, few will mean 1-49?) Also, the alternate research mentions that downsizing can ----"Thus, even if downsizers do not become economically more efficient, downsizing’s mythic properties give them added prestige in the business community, enhancing their survival prospects." ---not make the firm more efficient, it nowhere mentions that it cannot increase (or decrease for that matter)competitiveness. So how does OA say that the research calls it into question for both eff and comp?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: Firms traditionally claim that they downsize (i.e., make permanent per [#permalink]
Expert Reply
aditijain1507 wrote:
Thank you for this elaborate comment. Cleared my entire doubt, well almost. So few in GMAT means not all?( in 100, few will mean 1-49?) Also, the alternate research mentions that downsizing can ----"Thus, even if downsizers do not become economically more efficient, downsizing’s mythic properties give them added prestige in the business community, enhancing their survival prospects." ---not make the firm more efficient, it nowhere mentions that it cannot increase (or decrease for that matter)competitiveness. So how does OA say that the research calls it into question for both eff and comp?

So, I partially cleared your doubt. I think GMATNinja has very well explained how the passage deals with your query, in this post. (And yes, it can reasonably be inferred to touch on both efficiency and competitiveness.) Concerning few, if I were looking at a sample size of 100 of something, I would say that a few must refer to at least 2, but probably nowhere close to half. A few would turn into several by the time we reached 10 in such a sample, to be honest. As with many other vocabulary words, though, context guides us to meaning.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 262 [0]
Given Kudos: 307
Send PM
4 minutes...all correct...nice passage..
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts