Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 10:56 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2102 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
Re: Guidence for Defining a Strategy for GMAT [#permalink]
cool_jonny009 wrote:

1) Not Able to Apply strategy and tricks in Verbal during test I have read princeton and kaplan taken notes of all the important tricks. But when i tries to solve the questions in test just go by basic method of starting from scrach.

There's nothing wrong with solving questions by basic method. Strategies and tricks come later with more practises. You need to do lots of practises. When you repeat certain type of questions enough times you will suddenly find that you can almost know the answer before you do it, or at least you'll know how to approach it. You'll be doing it much faster then if you just read the stratagies from a book and was trying to apply them.

Quote:
2) Time management and speed for example Kaplan gives 25 minutest to solve there practice test. which usually contain either 22 SC or 18 RC questions. It takes me around double time to solve the questions and the success rate is around 70 %. During the princeton practice test i always ran out of the time and have to blindly select the answer for arund 4-5 questions in each section.

Again, first this is an issue of practise. Though you shouldn't simply practise blindly. You need to do every questions you can find, and then analyze them. See how you were doing, how fast and correct you are doing. Find if there're other ways to solve the question and evaluate the approach for yourself, see if it is worth for you to even learn that approach. If you are first starting out, don't worry for the timing and speed just yet, and focus on the right approach (meaning, the fastest and easiest way for you to get correct answers). Then when you feel more comfortable with your own style, try practise under time pressure. Make yourself do it faster. One practise test would be enough to start with, just for the purpose of evaluating where you are. Leave the other practise tests till you've reviewed all that needs to be reviewed and you've defined your style.

Quote:
3) How to Improve RC I usually get lost while doing RC and after some time get real fraustrated with RC which actually screw up my whole test.

I've topped a thread in the verb forum, look at that, see if it helps you.

Quote:
I also don'nt study by any plan or strategy usually in weekdays after work read what ever feel comportable. Need some suggestion to build up a strategy to over come these problem.

What time to study is not the main problem, as long as you know which direction you are heading. Although I would try to maintain certain level of intensity, just to build up the momentum.

There are some good threads in the GMAT forum too. Give them a browse if you have time. There may be advices that would fit your situation.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks HongHu for the your detailed advise on my issue. I really appriciate it.
:beer

Let me rephrase my understanding of your advise

Work on the Weak area's,try to find the best approach to solve them Don't worry much about the Speed.After finding the best approach that sutes me ...practice it and work on Improving the Speed.

Well from my last month study I think i know my weak area's in both Quant and Verbal I just need to list them and start tacking them one by one.

One last question ...What would you suggest about taking 1 practice test every week?? I was thinking that i should take one test everyweek.

Is that the right approach or should i post pone taking practice test untill i resolve all my know problems ?

RK
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]