Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:38 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619245 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [1]
Given Kudos: 191
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.9
WE:Education (Accounting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Re: +HOT Competition 3 Sep/8AM: Mathematicians have long struggled with th [#permalink]
Kudos
Mathematicians have long struggled with the problem of having non-Euclidian geometric concepts to represent on a two-dimensional surface.

(A) having non-Euclidian geometric concepts to represent on a two-dimensional surface as I know, "having" is a big NO-NO is GMAT,this does not sound great to me.
(B) having a two-dimensional surface on which to represent non-Euclidian geometric concepts The same as A
(C) how can one represent non-Euclidian geometric concepts on a two-dimensional surface "one" and "can" should change their places
(D) how they could use a two-dimensional surface to represent non-Euclidian geometric concepts This one is fine
(E) how to represent non-Euclidian geometric concepts on a two-dimensional surface Just perfect and concise

Between D and E, I would go for E because it is more concise and does not have pronouns

The answer is E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [1]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
Re: +HOT Competition 3 Sep/8AM: Mathematicians have long struggled with th [#permalink]
Kudos
Mathematicians have long struggled with the problem of having non-Euclidian geometric concepts to represent on a two-dimensional surface.

(A) having non-Euclidian geometric concepts to represent on a two-dimensional surface

The problem was to represent, not having certain concepts. This choice illogically suggest that math doesn’t have non-Euclidian geometric concepts. It does.

(B) having a two-dimensional surface on which to represent non-Euclidian geometric concepts

The problem was to represent, not having certain concepts. This choice illogically suggest that math doesn’t have a two-dimensional surface. It does.

(C) how can one represent non-Euclidian geometric concepts on a two-dimensional surface

“how can one” is the structure of a question. A helping verb can precede the subject in questions, and this choice isn’t question.

(D) how they could use a two-dimensional surface to represent non-Euclidian geometric concepts

“they” doesn’t have an antecedent. It all the way around: to represent non-Euclidian geometric concepts on a two-dimensional surface

(E) how to represent non-Euclidian geometric concepts on a two-dimensional surface

Correct choice: the problem was the action of representing certain concepts on a two-dimensional surface.

Hence E
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619245 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:

(A) having non-Euclidian geometric concepts to represent on a two-dimensional surface
(B) having a two-dimensional surface on which to represent non-Euclidian geometric concepts
(C) how can one represent non-Euclidian geometric concepts on a two-dimensional surface
(D) how they could use a two-dimensional surface to represent non-Euclidian geometric concepts
(E) how to represent non-Euclidian geometric concepts on a two-dimensional surface

This question was provided by Experts Global
for the Heroes of Timers Competition

Experts Global Explanation:

Meaning

A. This answer choice changes the meaning of the sentence by incorrectly using the phrase “having non-Euclidian geometric concepts to represent”; this phrase implies that the problem in question is the existence of non-Euclidian geometric concepts that must be represented on a two dimensional surface. The intended meaning is that the problem is how to represent such concepts on a two-dimensional surface.

B. This answer choice changes the meaning of the sentence by incorrectly using the phrase “having a two-dimensional surface on which”; this phrase implies that the problem in question is the existence of a two-dimensional surface that must be used to represent non-Euclidian geometric concepts. The intended meaning is that the problem is of how to represent such concepts on a two-dimensional surface.

C. This answer choice incorrectly utilizes a question construction “how can one”; “how one can” would have made this answer choice competitive.

D. This answer choice changes the meaning in the usage “how they could use a two-dimensional surface to…”, suggesting that the problem is using two-dimensional surface to represent something.

E. This answer choice maintains proper construction and conveys the intended meaning of the sentence. Thus, this answer choice is correct.

E is the best answer choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Schools: ISB'22 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Quote:

This question was provided by Experts Global
for the Heroes of Timers Competition

Experts Global Explanation:

Meaning

A. This answer choice changes the meaning of the sentence by incorrectly using the phrase “having non-Euclidian geometric concepts to represent”; this phrase implies that the problem in question is the existence of non-Euclidian geometric concepts that must be represented on a two dimensional surface. The intended meaning is that the problem is how to represent such concepts on a two-dimensional surface.

B. This answer choice changes the meaning of the sentence by incorrectly using the phrase “having a two-dimensional surface on which”; this phrase implies that the problem in question is the existence of a two-dimensional surface that must be used to represent non-Euclidian geometric concepts. The intended meaning is that the problem is of how to represent such concepts on a two-dimensional surface.

C. This answer choice incorrectly utilizes a question construction “how can one”; “how one can” would have made this answer choice competitive.

D. This answer choice changes the meaning in the usage “how they could use a two-dimensional surface to…”, suggesting that the problem is using two-dimensional surface to represent something.

E. This answer choice maintains proper construction and conveys the intended meaning of the sentence. Thus, this answer choice is correct.

E is the best answer choice.

Apart from change in meaning, is there any other mistake in this option.?

"how they could use a two-dimensional surface to represent non-Euclidian geometric concepts."

2-D Surface(singular) to represent NCG concepts (plural)
"Represent" is parallel marker here(?) for Sub-Obj agreement.

Am I overthinking here??
Kindly explain. AndrewN EducationAisle

Posted from my mobile device
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
GAURAV1113 wrote:

Apart from change in meaning, is there any other mistake in this option.?

"how they could use a two-dimensional surface to represent non-Euclidian geometric concepts."

2-D Surface(singular) to represent NCG concepts (plural)
"Represent" is parallel marker here(?) for Sub-Obj agreement.

Am I overthinking here??
Kindly explain. AndrewN EducationAisle

Posted from my mobile device

Hello, GUARAV1113. A good way to test such answer choices, once you know the correct answer, is to see how they differ from the best option. Compare (D) and (E) side by side and remove the common elements:

Quote:

The only unique element of (D) is they could use, and the only unique element of (E) is on, so we can deduce that how the overlapping pieces are arranged makes all the difference, that expressed meaning lies at the core of what makes one answer incorrect and the other preferred. If your query was about a possible flaw in the grammar of the (D), then just know that it is fine on those grounds. You do not need to worry about a parallel marker between a subject and object in the manner you have outlined, nor do you need to worry about subject-object agreement, which can mix singular and plural elements without a problem (e.g., He writes letters all day; they practice a game.)

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me.

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts