Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 20:05 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Re: How much do u expect to be in DEBT after your MBA? [#permalink]
I haven't decided whether to max out the loans or plan off the bat how much of my savings I will use.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
I've got enough accessible savings to pay for expenses for the two years.

So I'll be borrowing the two years tuition: $90,000

I don't know what will happen to the income from the summer internship. I'm planning on using that as a "slush fund".

RF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
refurb wrote:
I've got enough accessible savings to pay for expenses for the two years.

So I'll be borrowing the two years tuition: $90,000

I don't know what will happen to the income from the summer internship. I'm planning on using that as a "slush fund".

RF

I should be in roughly the same spot.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
lsuguy7 wrote:
I will attempt to go full time and just "isa" my way through it for a grand total of $0 of debt.

Haha. Excellent plan :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
I will probably liquidate whatever I have, so I am hoping to not borrow more than 30-40K.
Current Student
Send PM
Is anyone planning to tap into their 401K. I heard that there is no penalty when you make a withdrawal for education expenses and it may make sense to withdraw in our second year when our marginal tax rate is very low. Any take on that?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
I think you're right about the withdrawals. You'll still pay tax on what you withdrew since the contributions were tax-free, but you won't get hit with penalties.

I personally don't plan on touching my 401(k)..based on where the market is today, I think selling now would be selling at the nadir of the market. I'd rather borrow a bit more and let my 401(k) recover a bit.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
I personally don't plan on touching my 401(k)..based on where the market is today, I think selling now would be selling at the nadir of the market. I'd rather borrow a bit more and let my 401(k) recover a bit.

Same here, probably including for non-401k equity/mutual fund holdings.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
rca215 wrote:
Jerz wrote:

Very true, my assumption is that by mid 2010, we have a DOW that has recovered by 20/25%.
Current Student
Send PM
rca215 wrote:
Jerz wrote:

Yup, I'd rather borrow and pay off a loan in 3-5 years than pull money out of my investments right now.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
If you can borrow cheaply yes. From what I understand, Gradplus loan are around 8.5% and a 4% origination fee, so unless you can get better than that in the market, it is worth thinking about tapping stocks or 401K, especially if you went from a high marginal tax rate to a low one in your 2nd year.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Kudos
This is not true. There is no allowance for penalty-free "early distributions" from 401(k) plans to fund education expenses. IRA accounts allow you to do that, 401(k) plans do not.

falibay wrote:
Is anyone planning to tap into their 401K. I heard that there is no penalty when you make a withdrawal for education expenses and it may make sense to withdraw in our second year when our marginal tax rate is very low. Any take on that?

You need to consider the fact that based on historical data, a broad market stock fund over the long term could potentially offer a return significantly higher than the 8.5% fixed rate that GradPLUS loans are going at. If you intend to repay your loans over, say 10-15 years, rising inflation will further keep your fixed interest costs manageable and your 401(k) could return in excess of 8.5% each year. Also, as Jerz pointed out, selling your 401(k) balances now mean you're locking in your losses and essentially making yourself start all over from scratch as far as retirement investing is concerned. If you intend to repay your student loans much sooner, and can get a private education loan with no fees and one that is 250 to 300 bps cheaper than the GradPLUS, then by all means consider that option.

falibay wrote:
If you can borrow cheaply yes. From what I understand, Gradplus loan are around 8.5% and a 4% origination fee, so unless you can get better than that in the market, it is worth thinking about tapping stocks or 401K, especially if you went from a high marginal tax rate to a low one in your 2nd year.
Current Student
Send PM
I have rolled over my 401K to an IRA and I guess that would be an option for all of use when we resign right?

Inflation assumptions and stock market returns are expectations. I expect (hope?) equity outperforms the 8.5% per year but I am not sure. Clearly if I had made that bet in 2000, I would have been wrong. It is all a probability game at that point, that's why I am asking the question.

Though there is a tax arbritage, from what I see. I probably saved 40% on my pre-tax contribution (fed + NY state taxes) and if we can withdraw penalty free at 10-15% in 2010 (when I don't have any income), that's a 25-30% return, which offsets some of the market loses. Do I have that right?

It seems to be one option; I am not saying that it is the way to go. If I can borrow at a lower rate than 8.5% I would probably go for that.
Current Student
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
If you intend to repay your student loans much sooner, and can get a private education loan with no fees and one that is 250 to 300 bps cheaper than the GradPLUS, then by all means consider that option.

Thanks for all the good info Solaris.

Concerning these private loans, the rates float right?

Even if they do, if you were to take say a percentage of your total debt out using these loans, then pay them off first, you could save a little $$$?

RF
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Kudos
falibay, your tax arbitrage proposal will work fine.

refurb, yes - virtually all private student loans will be floating and indexed to LIBOR or Prime. You can pay off those loans anytime, there's usually no pre-payment penalty associated with them. To echo a point aaudetat made earlier on another thread, the private student loans can be substantially cheaper - as low as ~4.0% with the right credit (at least right now) however the federal GradPLUS loans carry some potentially very useful deferment and forbearance provisions that most private student loans won't offer. With the federal loans, you can defer payments in case of unemployment or financial emergency, for instance. So it's up to everyone to decide how much interest rate risk they are willing to carry on.

I personally am going to hold on to my savings and borrow the full cost of attendance using a combination of Stafford, GradPLUS and private student loans (ideally keep my average borrowing costs below 7%) and should LIBOR or Prime rates spike to higher than 8.5% I will pay those private loans down fairly quickly using my savings.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
I heard the 4% origination fee at Booth's admit weekend financial aid session. What is an origination fee?
Current Student
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
I heard the 4% origination fee at Booth's admit weekend financial aid session. What is an origination fee?

Just a fee you pay for having the right to get the loan... Basically helps the bank reduce their cost of issuing, packaging and selling the loan , I guess. I think it is a total ripe off for such a liquid market.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2