Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:17 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Nope... I do not want to send updates! I do not think it is wise to send updates etc...

All I want to send them is some Newspaper clippings to back my essays.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
dukes wrote:
Is it appropriate to send updates? I got a promotion and cool new work responsibilities a couple days after I turned in my INSEAD application. Does it ever make sense to send updates, or should I just let it be?

Only the 3rd post in this thread and already.... hijacked.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
sm176811 wrote:
Nope... I do not want to send updates! I do not think it is wise to send updates etc...

You think it's wrong to notify them about, say, a promotion, but you think attaching newspaper clippings is OK?

I'm baffled.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
Only the 3rd post in this thread and already.... hijacked.

My bad. I guess it fell under the umbrella of "is it ok to send anything besides the requested information?" questions. But you're right...its sort of off-topic.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
sm176811 wrote:

You think it's wrong to notify them about, say, a promotion, but you think attaching newspaper clippings is OK?

I'm baffled.

Well I read Wharton Blog (https://adcomblog.wharton.upenn.edu/admi ... ions_.html) and they talked about sending in materials after the deadline (like promotions).

However, I think (I might be wrong) it should be okay to send past articles etc before the deadline to be included in your application. Again I think we need to be pragmatic and not send in a whole collection of documents!

Any thoughts?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
dukes wrote:
Is it appropriate to send updates? I got a promotion and cool new work responsibilities a couple days after I turned in my INSEAD application. Does it ever make sense to send updates, or should I just let it be?

I've sent an update to my schools when I got a promotion. I think it's totally reasonable to do so.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
Well I read Wharton Blog (https://adcomblog.wharton.upenn.edu/admi ... ions_.html) and they talked about sending in materials after the deadline (like promotions).

Thanks, that was helpful.

I'm no expert here, but it sounded like the schools that you e-mailed were just as clear about not wanting additional materials as the Wharton blog was about not sending updates.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
sm176811 wrote:
rhyme wrote:
sm176811 wrote:

I'm baffled.

However, I think (I might be wrong) it should be okay to send past articles etc before the deadline to be included in your application. Again I think we need to be pragmatic and not send in a whole collection of documents!

Any thoughts?

Let see what others say, but I'd venture that sending in a quick email to inform them of a promotion after the deadline is one thing, including additional material as part of your package is entirely another.

In fact, I'd argue that sending in newspaper clippings is nothing short of irritating. We could all include extra materials - I could throw in copies of articles I wrote, or sample work, or maybe even a DVD of the work I did for the BBC, but why should the adcom take more time to review my materials? Or put differently, what makes me so special?

They tell you what they ask for, and if they wanted anything supplemental, they'd say to go ahead and send it. For instance, Stern pretty much opens this up with their personal expression part, but they are the only school I
know of that does so.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I mean, look, you can talk about the newspaper articles in your essays (heck you can even quote a few sentences) - will reading them really be that much more helpful in understanding who you are?

Not only will the articles likely talk about what you've already discussed in your essays - making them less interesting, but also --- if they aren't articles about YOU specifically, they'll probably talk more about your team or your company or whatever, in which case, they would say very little about you as a person.

Even if they are articles about you, as an adcom, would I rather read a story written by the applicant about how he ended up in newspapers, or would I like to read something written by SOMEONE ELSE about the applicant?

Personally, I wouldn't send them in if you paid me. But thats just my view.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Rhyme... point noted...!

Any other perspectives or thoughts?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Policy regarding submission of additional information including substantial promotions and/or awards after the deadline varies from school to school. Wharton doesn't want an applicant to send any new information after the deadline as they feel it is unfair to the rest of the applicants. Everyone has a "fair" chance to market his/her candidacy by the published deadline. If you won the Nobel after the deadline..too bad !

rhyme wrote:
sm176811 wrote:
rhyme wrote:
sm176811 wrote:

I'm baffled.

Any thoughts?

Let see what others say, but I'd venture that sending in a quick email to inform them of a promotion after the deadline is one thing, including additional material as part of your package is entirely another.

In fact, I'd argue that sending in newspaper clippings is nothing short of irritating. We could all include extra materials - I could throw in copies of articles I wrote, or sample work, or maybe even a DVD of the work I did for the BBC, but why should the adcom take more time to review my materials? Or put differently, what makes me so special?

They tell you what they ask for, and if they wanted anything supplemental, they'd say to go ahead and send it. For instance, Stern pretty much opens this up with their personal expression part, but they are the only school I
know of that does so.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I mean, look, you can talk about the newspaper articles in your essays (heck you can even quote a few sentences) - will reading them really be that much more helpful in understanding who you are?

Not only will the articles likely talk about what you've already discussed in your essays - making them less interesting, but also --- if they aren't articles about YOU specifically, they'll probably talk more about your team or your company or whatever, in which case, they would say very little about you as a person.

Even if they are articles about you, as an adcom, would I rather read a story written by the applicant about how he ended up in newspapers, or would I like to read something written by SOMEONE ELSE about the applicant?

Personally, I wouldn't send them in if you paid me. But thats just my view.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhotseface wrote:
Policy regarding submission of additional information including substantial promotions and/or awards after the deadline varies from school to school. Wharton doesn't want an applicant to send any new information after the deadline as they feel it is unfair to the rest of the applicants. Everyone has a "fair" chance to market his/her candidacy by the published deadline. If you won the Nobel after the deadline..too bad !

What if it is before the deadline?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
You can use the essays to highlight your achievements, right ? You can always mention that you were cited in XYZ and interviewed by ABC. The problem with additional materials is that the admissions comm. will be swamped with portfolios and what not if they are to encourage non-essay material.

sm176811 wrote:
lhotseface wrote:

What if it is before the deadline?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've notified admissions of an update in total compensation and job functions as a result of a year-end review.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]