GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jan 2019, 00:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

January 17, 2019

January 17, 2019

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

If a and b are two-digit positive integers greater than 10

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
WE: Operations (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: If a and b are two-digit positive integers greater than 10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 18:37
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

If \(a\) and \(b\) are two-digit positive integers greater than 10, is the remainder when \(a\) is divided by 11 less than the remainder when \(b\) is divided by 11?

First of all, note that the remainder when a positive integer is divided by 11 could be 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10.

(1) The remainder when \(a\) is divided by 69 is the fifth power of a prime number:

\(a=69q+prime^5\) and \(prime^5<69\) (the remainder must be less than the divisor). The only prime number whose fifth power is less than 69 is 2: \((2^5=32) < 69\). So, we have that \(a=69q+32\): 32, 101, 170, ... Since \(a\) is a two-digit integer, then \(a=32\).

Now, \(a=32\) divided by 11 gives the remainder of 10. Since 10 is the maximum remainder possible when divided by 11, then this remainder cannot be less then the remainder when \(b\) is divided by 11 (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10). So, the answer to the question is NO.

Sufficient.

(2) The remainder when \(b\) is divided by 12 is \(b\):

The remainder must be less than the divisor, hence \(b\) must be less than 12 and since we are told that \(b\) is a two-digit integers greater than 10, then \(b\) must be 11.

Now, \(b=11\) divided by 11 gives the remainder of 0. Since 0 is the minimum remainder possible, than the remainder when \(a\) is divided by 11 cannot possible be less than 0. So, the answer to the question is NO.

Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Try NEW remainders PS question.

Hi Bunuel,

I don't think option 2 is alone sufficient as they have not provided in question that a and b are two different integers, As per option 2 I agree that b must be 11 but what a is also valued as 11.

Correct me if I am missing something.

gmatbusters Could you please also review above mention doubt of mine and advise.

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere :-)

Senior DS Moderator
V
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 19:01
Hi Gmatprep550

As per statement 2, b is 11. Hence the remainder when b is divided by 11 is 0.

Now 0 is the minimum remainder possible, a cannot give remainder lower than 0.

Your doubt: even if both a and b are equal.
Both remainders would be same = 0.

We can definitely say remainder when a is divided by 11 can not be lower than remainder when b is divided by 11

Hope, it is clear now. Don't hesitate to tag me again .

Gmatprep550 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

If \(a\) and \(b\) are two-digit positive integers greater than 10, is the remainder when \(a\) is divided by 11 less than the remainder when \(b\) is divided by 11?

First of all, note that the remainder when a positive integer is divided by 11 could be 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10.

(1) The remainder when \(a\) is divided by 69 is the fifth power of a prime number:

\(a=69q+prime^5\) and \(prime^5<69\) (the remainder must be less than the divisor). The only prime number whose fifth power is less than 69 is 2: \((2^5=32) < 69\). So, we have that \(a=69q+32\): 32, 101, 170, ... Since \(a\) is a two-digit integer, then \(a=32\).

Now, \(a=32\) divided by 11 gives the remainder of 10. Since 10 is the maximum remainder possible when divided by 11, then this remainder cannot be less then the remainder when \(b\) is divided by 11 (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10). So, the answer to the question is NO.

Sufficient.

(2) The remainder when \(b\) is divided by 12 is \(b\):

The remainder must be less than the divisor, hence \(b\) must be less than 12 and since we are told that \(b\) is a two-digit integers greater than 10, then \(b\) must be 11.

Now, \(b=11\) divided by 11 gives the remainder of 0. Since 0 is the minimum remainder possible, than the remainder when \(a\) is divided by 11 cannot possible be less than 0. So, the answer to the question is NO.

Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Try NEW remainders PS question.

Hi Bunuel,

I don't think option 2 is alone sufficient as they have not provided in question that a and b are two different integers, As per option 2 I agree that b must be 11 but what a is also valued as 11.

Correct me if I am missing something.

gmatbusters Could you please also review above mention doubt of mine and advise.

Posted from my mobile device

Win GMAT CLUB Test- Weekly Quant Quiz Contest
Weekly Quant Quiz Questions- Direct Download
SC: Confusable words

All you need for Quant, GMAT PS Question Directory,GMAT DS Question Directory
Error log/Key Concepts
Combination Concept: Division into groups
Question of the Day (QOTD)
Free GMAT CATS

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge
If a and b are two-digit positive integers greater than 10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 07:11
Hi gmatbusters,

Thanks for quick response, I guess I got your point and wanted to make sure what I understood is correct.

As per your below mentioned statement what I am getting is remainder when a is divided by 11 can not be lower than remainder when b is divided by 11 as it's going to be equal or more.

"We can definitely say remainder when a is divided by 11 can not be lower than remainder when b is divided by 11"

Senior DS Moderator
V
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 07:13
You got it Right. :thumbup:

Gmatprep550 wrote:
Hi gmatbusters,

Thanks for quick response, I guess I got your point and wanted to make sure what I understood is correct.

As per your below mentioned statement what I am getting is remainder when a is divided by 11 can not be lower than remainder when b is divided by 11 as it's going to be equal or more.

"We can definitely say remainder when a is divided by 11 can not be lower than remainder when b is divided by 11"

Win GMAT CLUB Test- Weekly Quant Quiz Contest
Weekly Quant Quiz Questions- Direct Download
SC: Confusable words

All you need for Quant, GMAT PS Question Directory,GMAT DS Question Directory
Error log/Key Concepts
Combination Concept: Division into groups
Question of the Day (QOTD)
Free GMAT CATS

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 07:19
Thanks again for quick response, you rock !! :thumbup: ;)

gmatbusters wrote:
You got it Right. :thumbup:

Gmatprep550 wrote:
Hi gmatbusters,

GMAT Club Bot
Re: If a and b are two-digit positive integers greater than 10 &nbs [#permalink] 18 Dec 2018, 07:19

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

If a and b are two-digit positive integers greater than 10

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap