GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 14:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If f(n) = xa^n, what is the value of f(5) ?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Status: Preparing GMAT
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 1721
Location: Pakistan
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests
If f(n) = xa^n, what is the value of f(5) ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 12:07
1
11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (01:46) correct 62% (01:38) wrong based on 181 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If f(n) = xa^n, what is the value of f(5) ?

(1) f(0) = 3
(2) f(4) = 48

_________________

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Most Helpful Expert Reply
CEO
CEO
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 2995
Location: Canada
If f(n) = xa^n, what is the value of f(5) ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 13:06
3
Top Contributor
2
SajjadAhmad wrote:
If f(n) = xa^n, what is the value of f(5) ?

(1) f(0) = 3
(2) f(4) = 48


Target question: What is the value of f(5)?

Given: f(n) = xa^n

Statement 1: f(0) = 3
In other words, x(a^0) = 3
Since a^0 = 1, we can write: (x)(1) = 3
This tells us that x = 3
So, our function now looks like this: f(n) = 3a^n
Since we still don't know the value of a, this is NOT enough information to determine the value of f(5)
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: f(4) = 48
In other words, x(a^4) = 48
There are several values of x and a that satisfy statement 2. Here are two:
Case a: x = 3 and a = 2. Notice that x(a^4) = 48 turns into 3(2^4) = 48, which works. In this case f(5) = 3(2^5) = 96
Case b: x = 3 and a = -2. Notice that x(a^4) = 48 turns into 3[(-2)^4] = 48, which works. In this case f(5) = 3[(-2)^5] = -96
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
Statement 1 tells us that x = 3
Statement 2 tells us that, when x = 3, either a = 2 or a = -2
In other words, we still have 2 possible cases that satisfy BOTH statements:
Case a: x = 3 and a = 2. Notice that x(a^4) = 48 turns into 3(2^4) = 48, which works. In this case f(5) = 3(2^5) = 96
Case b: x = 3 and a = -2. Notice that x(a^4) = 48 turns into 3[(-2)^4] = 48, which works. In this case f(5) = 3[(-2)^5] = -96
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: E

RELATED VIDEO

_________________

Brent Hanneson – GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Sign up for our free Question of the Day emails

General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 18 Jul 2018
Posts: 260
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: If f(n) = xa^n, what is the value of f(5) ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 08:03
GMATPrepNow wrote:

Statements 1 and 2 combined
Statement 1 tells us that x = 3
Statement 2 tells us that, when x = 3, either a = 2 or a = -2
In other words, we still have 2 possible cases that satisfy BOTH statements:
Case a: x = 3 and a = 2. Notice that x(a^4) = 48 turns into 3(2^4) = 48, which works. In this case f(5) = 3(2^5) = 96
Case b: x = 3 and a = -2. Notice that x(a^4) = 48 turns into 3[(-2)^4] = 48, which works. In this case f(5) = 3[(-2)^5] = -96
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: E



Please correct me if I'm wrong. combining both gives 3a^4 =48. a^4 = 16. Then the fourth power of a is 2. Since GMAT doesn't consider -2 for the even powers. Then combining both works, isn't it?
_________________

When you want something, the whole universe conspires in helping you achieve it.

CEO
CEO
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 2995
Location: Canada
Re: If f(n) = xa^n, what is the value of f(5) ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 09:50
Top Contributor
Afc0892 wrote:
GMATPrepNow wrote:

Statements 1 and 2 combined
Statement 1 tells us that x = 3
Statement 2 tells us that, when x = 3, either a = 2 or a = -2
In other words, we still have 2 possible cases that satisfy BOTH statements:
Case a: x = 3 and a = 2. Notice that x(a^4) = 48 turns into 3(2^4) = 48, which works. In this case f(5) = 3(2^5) = 96
Case b: x = 3 and a = -2. Notice that x(a^4) = 48 turns into 3[(-2)^4] = 48, which works. In this case f(5) = 3[(-2)^5] = -96
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: E



Please correct me if I'm wrong. combining both gives 3a^4 =48. a^4 = 16. Then the fourth power of a is 2. Since GMAT doesn't consider -2 for the even powers. Then combining both works, isn't it?


It all comes down to NOTATION.

If x² = 9, then x = 3 or -3
However, with √9, the square root notation tells us to take the POSITIVE root of 9
So, √9 = 3
To generalize, if x² = k, then x = √k or -√k, where √k represents the POSITIVE square root of k, and -√k represents the NEGATIVE square root of k

The same applies to fourth roots.
Of x⁴ = 16, then x = 2 or x = -2
However, when it comes to ∜16, the 4th root NOTATION tells us to take the POSITIVE value.

Does that help?

Cheers,
Brent
_________________

Brent Hanneson – GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Sign up for our free Question of the Day emails

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 18 Jul 2018
Posts: 260
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: If f(n) = xa^n, what is the value of f(5) ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 09:56
GMATPrepNow wrote:
Afc0892 wrote:
GMATPrepNow wrote:

Statements 1 and 2 combined
Statement 1 tells us that x = 3
Statement 2 tells us that, when x = 3, either a = 2 or a = -2
In other words, we still have 2 possible cases that satisfy BOTH statements:
Case a: x = 3 and a = 2. Notice that x(a^4) = 48 turns into 3(2^4) = 48, which works. In this case f(5) = 3(2^5) = 96
Case b: x = 3 and a = -2. Notice that x(a^4) = 48 turns into 3[(-2)^4] = 48, which works. In this case f(5) = 3[(-2)^5] = -96
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: E



Please correct me if I'm wrong. combining both gives 3a^4 =48. a^4 = 16. Then the fourth power of a is 2. Since GMAT doesn't consider -2 for the even powers. Then combining both works, isn't it?


It all comes down to NOTATION.

If x² = 9, then x = 3 or -3
However, with √9, the square root notation tells us to take the POSITIVE root of 9
So, √9 = 3
To generalize, if x² = k, then x = √k or -√k, where √k represents the POSITIVE square root of k, and -√k represents the NEGATIVE square root of k

The same applies to fourth roots.
Of x⁴ = 16, then x = 2 or x = -2
However, when it comes to ∜16, the 4th root NOTATION tells us to take the POSITIVE value.

Does that help?

Cheers,
Brent


Yes, thanks. Is it only in GMAT that it's considered like this or in general?
_________________

When you want something, the whole universe conspires in helping you achieve it.

CEO
CEO
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 2995
Location: Canada
Re: If f(n) = xa^n, what is the value of f(5) ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 10:13
Top Contributor
Afc0892 wrote:

Yes, thanks. Is it only in GMAT that it's considered like this or in general?


No, it's not just the GMAT.
This is a general concept.
More here: https://www.mathsisfun.com/square-root.html

Cheers,
Brent
_________________

Brent Hanneson – GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Sign up for our free Question of the Day emails

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Posts: 793
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Premium Member
Re: If f(n) = xa^n, what is the value of f(5) ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 13:10
SajjadAhmad wrote:
If f(n) = xa^n, what is the value of f(5) ?

(1) f(0) = 3
(2) f(4) = 48


(1) f(0) = 3
so,
3=x\(a^0\)
x=3
f(5)=3\(a^5\)
a=?
insufficient

(2) f(4) = 48
so,
48=3\(a^4\)
\(a^4\)=16
a= +- 2
f(5)=3(\(2^5\))=96 or 3(\(-2^5\)) = -96
insufficient

using both , still insufficient

E
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If f(n) = xa^n, what is the value of f(5) ? &nbs [#permalink] 13 Sep 2018, 13:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If f(n) = xa^n, what is the value of f(5) ?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.