It is currently 19 Jan 2018, 01:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If M is a finite set of negative integers, is the total numb

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 9

If M is a finite set of negative integers, is the total numb [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2012, 09:35
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (00:34) correct 28% (00:46) wrong based on 424 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If M is a finite set of negative integers, is the total number of integers in M an odd number?

(1) The product of all integers in M is odd
(2) The product of all integers in M is negative

My answer was A which is wrong but I don't understand why? though I tried to solve the problem again ...
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1114 [3], given: 43

WE: Science (Education)
Re: If M is a finite set of negative integers, is the total numb [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2012, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Sunnysmiley wrote:
If M is a finite set of negative integers, is the total number of integers in M an odd number?

My answer was A which is wrong but I don't understand why? though I tried to solve the problem again ...

(1) We can have an even number of negative odd numbers. Their product is odd.
We can also have an odd number of negative odd numbers, their product is still odd.
The product is odd if all the numbers are odd, regardless how many numbers are there. Nothing is stated about the sign of the product.
Not sufficient.

(2) The product being negative, we must necessarily have an odd number of negative integers, as all the numbers are negative.
Now we had information about the sign of the product
Sufficient.

Answer B.

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Kudos [?]: 1114 [3], given: 43

Retired Moderator
Affiliations: PMI, ASQ

Kudos [?]: 1331 [0], given: 21

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2012, 13:46
Sunnysmiley wrote:

i> take any 3 negative numbers, say -3, -9, - 13
Product of any pair is odd and product of all the three is also odd. Can you conclusively say that an odd product necessarily means an odd number of factors?
Since you get the same result (i.e. odd product albeit different signs), the info is INSUFFICIENT

ii>do the same test, this time check for signs. -3*-9, -9*-13 etc will have +ve signs, but -3*-9*-13 will have a -ve sign, you can use this to differentiate odd vs even number of factor. SUFFICIENT

Legendary Collections
1. 700 Level Quant 2. IIM Quant 3. 100 CR from LSAT 4. 100 Legendary SC 5. 5000 Practice problems 6.125 Quant 7. 38 SC 8. 10 Full Length GMAT Pen&Paper Tests
9. 1500+ RC 10. 100 Legendary CR 11. Additional Verbal Qs 12. Additional Quant Qs

My debrief |Free essay review initiative
PM me for One-on-One Webex Tutoring

Kudos [?]: 1331 [0], given: 21

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
S

Kudos [?]: 1690 [1], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2012, 15:12
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
(1) Do we know definitively that the total number of integers in M is an odd number?

Well let's try some examples
{-1, -3} The product of all integers in M is odd... TRUE. Total # of integers is EVEN.
{-1, -3, -5} The product of all integers in M is odd... TRUE. Total # of integers is ODD.

THus, we know we cannot DEFINITIVELy say that the total # of integers in the set is ODD. Why? Because we had one example where the total # of integers was EVEN while satisfying the conditions for (1).

(2) The product of all integers in M is negative.
Well, if all the integers in M are negative and the product of all the integers is negative, then negative * negative = positive. Times another negative number is going to be negative.

Thus, if there are even # of integers - then the product of all integers in the set will always be positive.
If there an odd # of integers - then the product of all integers in the set will always be odd.

Key here is ALWAYS odd when (2) is satisfied. That's why (B) alone is sufficient to answer the question - we can definitively say that the answer to the question " is the total number of integers in M an odd number?" is going to be YES when (2) is satisfied.

Kudos [?]: 1690 [1], given: 8

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2012, 04:17
Legendaddy wrote:
Sunnysmiley wrote:

Product of any pair is odd and product of all the three is also odd. Can you conclusively say that an odd product necessarily means an odd number of factors?
Since you get the same result (i.e. odd product albeit different signs), the info is INSUFFICIENT

ii>do the same test, this time check for signs. -3*-9, -9*-13 etc will have +ve signs, but -3*-9*-13 will have a -ve sign, you can use this to differentiate odd vs even number of factor. SUFFICIENT

Thank you everyone,

This is how I considered to infer the answer A:

the product of -1 and -2 is an odd
the product of -1, -2, and -3 is an even

but looking at your answers I figure out that I might not work on the solution inclusively, thus I have an inadequate answer. I should be more careful next time.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1114 [0], given: 43

WE: Science (Education)

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2012, 07:11
Sunnysmiley wrote:
Legendaddy wrote:
Sunnysmiley wrote:

Thank you everyone,

This is how I considered to infer the answer A:

the product of -1 and -2 is an odd
the product of -1, -2, and -3 is an even

but looking at your answers I figure out that I might not work on the solution inclusively, thus I have an inadequate answer. I should be more careful next time.

the product of -1 and -2 is an odd NO! It is even, because (-1)*(-2) = 2 is even.
A product of integers is even if and only if at least one of the factors is even.
A product of integers is odd if and only if all the integers are odd.

The product of an even number of negative numbers is positive.
The product of an odd number of negative numbers is negative.

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Kudos [?]: 1114 [0], given: 43

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1537 [0], given: 543

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2013, 06:23
since we are given finite set of negative integers so it can be

-3 -9 -5 = - 135

I can't find examples to prove it is not true can someone help out with statement A..

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Kudos [?]: 1537 [0], given: 543

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 139468 [0], given: 12790

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2013, 06:52
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
fozzzy wrote:

since we are given finite set of negative integers so it can be

-3 -9 -5 = - 135

I can't find examples to prove it is not true can someone help out with statement A..

The stem says that M consists of negative integers and the first statement says that the product of all integers in M is odd. The question asks whether the total number of integers in M is odd.

If M={-1, -3, -5} --> M consists of negative integers and the product of all integers in M is odd (-1*(-3)*(-5)=-15=odd) --> the total number of integers in M is odd.
If M={-1, -3} --> M consists of negative integers and the product of all integers in M is odd (-1*(-3)=3=odd) --> the total number of integers in M is even.

Thus we can have an YES as well as a NO answer, which means that the first statement is not sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

P.S. You could just exclude one of the elements from your list ({-3, -5, -9}) to get a NO answer.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2013, 20:26
For statement 2, why can't I have a M set (-1, 2, 1, 1)? There's no rule that says you cannot times it by 1 repeatedly...

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2013, 05:50
haotian87 wrote:
For statement 2, why can't I have a M set (-1, 2, 1, 1)? There's no rule that says you cannot times it by 1 repeatedly...

Your example is not valid because it contains positive integers. Notice that the stem says that "M is a finite set of negative integers".

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
D

Kudos [?]: 3317 [1], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 22:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution

(1) The product of all the integers in M is odd
(2) The product of all the integers in M is negative

There are numerous variables (because we have to know the total number of integers in M) in the original condition. In order to match the number of variables and the number of equations, we need numerous equations as well. Since the condition 1) and 2) each has 1 equation, there is high chance that E is going to be the answer. Using both the condition 1) and 2), we can see that the total number of integers in M has to be an odd number in order for the product of all the integers in M to be odd and negative. Therefore, the answer is ‘yes’ and the correct answer is C. This is an integer question, which is one of the key questions. This means we have to apply the Common Mistake Type 4(A).
In case of the condition 1), it states that the product of all the integers in M is odd and there is no way we can know if the total number of integers in M is an odd number. In other words if M={-1, -3}, then the answer is ‘no’. If M={-1, -3, -5}, then the answer is ‘yes’. Therefore, the condition is not sufficient.
In case of the condition 2), in order for the product of all the integer in M to be negative, the total number of integers in M has to an odd number. Therefore, the answer is ‘yes’ and the condition is sufficient. The answer is, then, B.

For cases where we need 2 more equations, such as original conditions with “2 variables”, or “3 variables and 1 equation”, or “4 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 70% chance that C is the answer, while E has 25% chance. These two are the majority. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since C is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition (It saves us time). Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, D or E.

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3317 [1], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 275 [1], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 21:37
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Statement 1 deals with the issue of even/odd - which has set rules for addition, multiplication and subtraction. if the product of all the integers is odd that means that there are no even numbers in the set - but doesn't give us any info as to how many numbers there are.

Statement 2 deals with the rules of neg/pos - if you have a set of negative numbers whose product is negative then there has to be an odd number as an even number of negatives multiplied together will always give you a positive number.

So B.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 275 [1], given: 855

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Target Test Prep Representative
S
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 1048 [2], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 06:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ivyph wrote:

We are given that M is a finite set of negative integers and we need to determine whether the total number of integers in M is an odd number.

Statement One Alone:

The product of all the integers in M is odd.

The information in statement one is not sufficient to answer the question. For instance, there could be 2 numbers in M, -1 and -3, and their product would be odd, or there could be 3 numbers in M, -1, -3, and -5, and their product would also be odd. Statement one alone is not enough information to answer the question.

Statement Two Alone:

The product of all the integers in M is negative.

To analyze the information provided in statement two, we can use our multiplication rules for negative numbers. We know that when an even number of negative numbers are multiplied together, the product is positive, and when an odd number of negative numbers are multiplied together, the product is negative.

Since the product of all the integers in M is negative, we know that the number of integers in M must be odd.

Answer: B

Jeffery Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Kudos [?]: 1048 [2], given: 5

Re: If M is a finite set of negative integers, is the total numb   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2017, 06:52

If M is a finite set of negative integers, is the total numb

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap