GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Mar 2019, 15:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In a survey of students, each student selected from a list

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1645
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
In a survey of students, each student selected from a list  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Jul 2014, 12:34
1
19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (01:08) correct 25% (01:27) wrong based on 206 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a survey of students, each student selected from a list of 12 songs the 2 songs that the student liked best. If each song was selected 4 times, how many students were surveyed?

(A) 96
(B) 48
(C) 32
(D) 24
(E) 18

_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings


Originally posted by sondenso on 16 Jun 2008, 21:23.
Last edited by Bunuel on 24 Jul 2014, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question, added the OA and moved to PS forum.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 53792
Re: In a survey of students, each student selected from a list  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2014, 12:38
6
9
sondenso wrote:
In a survey of students, each student selected from a list of 12 songs the 2 songs that the student liked best. If each song was selected 4 times, how many students were surveyed?

(A) 96
(B) 48
(C) 32
(D) 24
(E) 18


Each out of 12 songs was selected 4 times --> the total number of selections = 12*4 = 48.
Each student selected 2 songs --> the total number of students = 48/2 = 24.

Answer: D.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Most Helpful Community Reply
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2832
Re: In a survey of students, each student selected from a list  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2008, 21:37
6
6
Its an easy D. if each song was selected 4 times, 48 selections were made (because there are 12 songs). Each student picked 2 songs, hence the number of students = 48/2 = 24.

sondenso wrote:
In a survey of students, each student selected from a list of 12 songs the 2 songs that the student liked best. If each song was selected 4 times, how many students were surveyed?

(A) 96
(B) 48
(C) 32
(D) 24
(E) 18
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 May 2007
Posts: 206
Re: In a survey of students, each student selected from a list  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2008, 21:29
1
I counted using pairs. Each pair 4 times. I ended up with 24. IS 24 correct?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Posts: 730
Re: In a survey of students, each student selected from a list  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Jun 2008, 21:38
I have 48, but I don't understand the logic of the question.

I don't think this is a gmatprep question either.

48 should be the minimum students surveyed, but the maximum students surveyed is unknown, since there is no guarantee that 4 people will pick a song as their favorite, even if you survey 100000000000000000 people.

Originally posted by gmatnub on 16 Jun 2008, 21:32.
Last edited by gmatnub on 16 Jun 2008, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2008
Posts: 154
Re: In a survey of students, each student selected from a list  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2008, 02:19
yes it is confusing but not tough really:

considering 4 times that each song is repeated - the total number of songs selected is 48 but then each student selects 2 songs - thus the total number of students here must be 24 to the least.

The question stem is not right - it should day the least number of students required to get 4 as the number of times each song is selected!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Posts: 284
Schools: INSEAD Class of July '10
Re: In a survey of students, each student selected from a list  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2008, 02:26
3
2
iamcartic wrote:
yes it is confusing but not tough really:

considering 4 times that each song is repeated - the total number of songs selected is 48 but then each student selects 2 songs - thus the total number of students here must be 24 to the least.

The question stem is not right - it should day the least number of students required to get 4 as the number of times each song is selected!

It IS right.

It says that each song was selected 4 times. Not 5 or 6 or more.

Therefore exactly 4*12 = 48 choices have been made.

And since each student makes 2 choices, it means that 48/2 = 24 students were surveyed.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3203
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Re: In a survey of students, each student selected from a list  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2008, 06:31
key word here is ..EACH SONG is chosen 4 times..

this means..that 4*12 =48 possibile students..however we are then told that each student chooses 2 songs..

so minimum number of students is 24..
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 588
Re: In a survey of students, each student selected from a list  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2008, 06:36
1
fresinha12 wrote:
key word here is ..EACH SONG is chosen 4 times..

this means..that 4*12 =48 possibile students..however we are then told that each student chooses 2 songs..

so minimum number of students is 24..


and maximum number of students is 24 because each student chooses 2 songs.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Posts: 730
Re: In a survey of students, each student selected from a list  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2008, 09:23
Oski wrote:
iamcartic wrote:
yes it is confusing but not tough really:

considering 4 times that each song is repeated - the total number of songs selected is 48 but then each student selects 2 songs - thus the total number of students here must be 24 to the least.

The question stem is not right - it should day the least number of students required to get 4 as the number of times each song is selected!

It IS right.

It says that each song was selected 4 times. Not 5 or 6 or more.

Therefore exactly 4*12 = 48 choices have been made.

And since each student makes 2 choices, it means that 48/2 = 24 students were surveyed.


If you are to "survey" people and each person pick 2 songs from a list of 12 songs. How do you ensure that each song is picked 4 times? The only way for that to happen is that you remove the songs from the list when they had been picked 4 times. But if that is the rule, the last person "surveyed" will be ask to pick 2 songs from a list of 2 songs. How is that a survey? What if the person does not like either songs?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1805
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: In a survey of students, each student selected from a list  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2008, 09:31
gmatnub wrote:
Oski wrote:
iamcartic wrote:
yes it is confusing but not tough really:

considering 4 times that each song is repeated - the total number of songs selected is 48 but then each student selects 2 songs - thus the total number of students here must be 24 to the least.

The question stem is not right - it should day the least number of students required to get 4 as the number of times each song is selected!

It IS right.

It says that each song was selected 4 times. Not 5 or 6 or more.

Therefore exactly 4*12 = 48 choices have been made.

And since each student makes 2 choices, it means that 48/2 = 24 students were surveyed.


If you are to "survey" people and each person pick 2 songs from a list of 12 songs. How do you ensure that each song is picked 4 times? The only way for that to happen is that you remove the songs from the list when they had been picked 4 times. But if that is the rule, the last person "surveyed" will be ask to pick 2 songs from a list of 2 songs. How is that a survey? What if the person does not like either songs?


It's not a matter of removing any songs. What the authors mean is essentially that at the end of the survey, it so happend that each song was picked exactly 4 times. Unrealistic, but since when was reality imposed on GMAT test authors?
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Posts: 730
Re: In a survey of students, each student selected from a list  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2008, 09:35
jallenmorris wrote:

It's not a matter of removing any songs. What the authors mean is essentially that at the end of the survey, it so happend that each song was picked exactly 4 times. Unrealistic, but since when was reality imposed on GMAT test authors?


Yes, that is the point, you can "survey" 10000000000000000000000000 people and there is no guarantee that 1 song will be picked 4 times. If one song sucks so bad, no one will pick it.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1805
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: In a survey of students, each student selected from a list  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2008, 09:42
1
On the GMAT you just have to be able to accept that when the question reads "students were surveyed and each song was selected 4 times" that however many students there were, the survey resulted in every song being selected 4 times total. If you surveyed 100,000,000 students, sure you could get more than 4 songs, but you have to accept as fact the statements made in the question stems.

We could attack this survey on all types of angles.

Were the students allowed to abstain if they hated all 12 songs?
If they must vote, were they instructed to pick the 2 songs they disliked the least?
Were the students responses a result of leading questions?
Was there any type on control group with which to compare these results in order to determine if any bias exists among those surveyed?

We can think of all types of things that would be relevant to a survey, but in the end, we have to live in the GMAT world and only respond to what information is given and in the method it is provided.

Here, after the survey is complete, each song was selected 4 times. Thus, we know that 12 songs * 4 selections = 48 total selections / number of selections allowed per student = 24 students participated in the survey.
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Posts: 284
Schools: INSEAD Class of July '10
Re: In a survey of students, each student selected from a list  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2008, 10:42
gmatnub wrote:
If you are to "survey" people and each person pick 2 songs from a list of 12 songs. How do you ensure that each song is picked 4 times? The only way for that to happen is that you remove the songs from the list when they had been picked 4 times. But if that is the rule, the last person "surveyed" will be ask to pick 2 songs from a list of 2 songs. How is that a survey? What if the person does not like either songs?

I don't ensure anything.

Each song WAS selected 4 times: this is the original statement of the question. To answer this question, I have to take it granted. Even if you think the event is unlikely, there is a chance it could happen and GMAT asks us to reason under that chance.

And no: the only way for that is that there are 24 students that took the survey. And each of the 12 songs was on the preferred list of 4 students (not more, not less).
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2014
Posts: 37
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In a survey of students, each student selected from a list  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2014, 12:22
5
Tricky -

here's an easy logic -

12 songs - 6 students - each song selected once
12 songs - 12 students - each song selected twice
12 songs - 18 students - each song selected thrice
12 songs - 24 students - each song selected 4 times
_________________

Kudos my back and I Kudos your back

Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
P
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 5409
Location: United States (CA)
Re: In a survey of students, each student selected from a list  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2018, 10:46
sondenso wrote:
In a survey of students, each student selected from a list of 12 songs the 2 songs that the student liked best. If each song was selected 4 times, how many students were surveyed?

(A) 96
(B) 48
(C) 32
(D) 24
(E) 18


Since each of the 12 songs was selected 4 times, thus there were a total of 12 x 4 = 48 song selections. Since each student had 2 song selections, there must be 48/2 = 24 students.

Answer: D
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 10184
Premium Member
Re: In a survey of students, each student selected from a list  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2019, 14:24
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a survey of students, each student selected from a list   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2019, 14:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In a survey of students, each student selected from a list

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.