Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [1]
Send PM
Re: In a town of 10 million households there are 3 newspapers in circulati [#permalink]
Kudos
Priyanka2011 wrote:
I think its A .. 12m subs - 9m households so atleast 3m households should subscribe for more that one type

A is not the right answer as the difference is 3M and if any household subscribes three papers then the number will be less than 3M

3M is the maximum limit for the households which are subscribing more than one paper.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Send PM
Re: In a town of 10 million households there are 3 newspapers in circulati [#permalink]
gopu106 wrote:
anjanapadmaraj wrote:
In a town of 10 million households there are 3 newspapers in circulation - X, Y and Z. There are 9 million households that subscribe to one or more newspapers.The number of total circulation of all the newspapers is 12 million. The number of households subscribing to X,Y are 2 million and 5 million respectively. What is the number of households subscribing to more than 1 newspaper.Assume that any household subscribes only one newspaper of a particular type.

a. At least 3 million

b. Exactly 3 million

c. Less than 3 million

d. At least 2 million

e. At least 1.5 million.

The difference between Total news paper sold and total households subscribed for newspapers is 3M

so the maximum number of households that subscribing more than 1 Newspaper is 3M.--(1)

If all the households which are subscribing more than 1 news paper are subscribing to three news papers then we can find the minimum number of households, which is 1.5 M---(2)

From (1) and (2) we can ignore options a ,b, c,d

So Ans E

i Think below method is easy to understand.

The total number of house holds buying newspaper = X+Y+Z+XY+XZ+YZ+XYZ = 9---(1)
Total number of newspapers sold = X+Y+Z+2XY+2XZ+2YZ+3XYZ = 12---(2)
If we need maximum number of households then no house hold should buy all three.
applying this in 1 and 2

X+Y+Z+XY+XZ+YZ = 9
X+Y+Z+2XY+2XZ+2YZ=12
So XY+XZ+YZ = 3(Maximum)

If we need the minimum number of households then no one should buy 2 newspapers.
1,2 will become
X+Y+Z+XYZ = 9
X+Y+Z+3XYZ=12
2XYZ=3
XYZ=1.5(minimum)

Applying this on options we can conclude that E is the answer
Attachments

1.JPG
1.JPG [ 18.37 KiB | Viewed 3824 times ]

Originally posted by g106 on 12 Oct 2011, 02:42.
Last edited by g106 on 12 Oct 2011, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64933 [4]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
anjanapadmaraj wrote:
In a town of 10 million households there are 3 newspapers in circulation - X, Y and Z. There are 9 million households that subscribe to one or more newspapers.The number of total circulation of all the newspapers is 12 million. The number of households subscribing to X,Y are 2 million and 5 million respectively. What is the number of households subscribing to more than 1 newspaper.Assume that any household subscribes only one newspaper of a particular type.

a. At least 3 million

b. Exactly 3 million

c. Less than 3 million

d. At least 2 million

e. At least 1.5 million.

12 mil is the number of newspapers distributed.
9 mil is the number of households in which they are distributed.
Since each household gets at least one paper, say 9 mil are distributed, one each, in the 9 mil households. We are left with 3 mil newspapers. Each one of these 3 mil papers is distributed as second/third paper in some household.

Let's focus on distributing just these 3 mil papers now.

The maximum number of households in which these 3 mil papers can be distributed is 3 mil. Each paper goes to a different household. So number of households subscribing to more than 1 newspaper is \(\leq 3\)mil. But there is no such option.

Say, if I give 2 papers (a total of 3 papers) in the same household, and the rest of them in different households, how many households will get covered? (3 mil - 1)
How can I minimize the total number of households? By giving 2 papers in as many households (a total of 3 papers) as possible. If I give 2 papers in each household, I will need to cover 1.5 mil households. So number of households receiving more than 1 paper should be at least 1.5 mil.

Answer (E)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 487 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
anjanapadmaraj wrote:

a. At least 3 million

b. Exactly 3 million

c. Less than 3 million

d. At least 2 million

e. At least 1.5 million.

Since each household gets at least one paper, say 9 mil are distributed, one each, in the 9 mil households. We are left with 3 mil newspapers. Each one of these 3 mil papers is distributed as second/third paper in some household.

The maximum number of households in which these 3 mil papers can be distributed is 3 mil. Each paper goes to a different household. So number of households subscribing to more than 1 newspaper is \(\leq 3\)mil. But there is no such option.

Say, if I give 2 papers (a total of 3 papers) in the same household, and the rest of them in different households, how many households will get covered? (3 mil - 1)
How can I minimize the total number of households? By giving 2 papers in as many households (a total of 3 papers) as possible. If I give 2 papers in each household, I will need to cover 1.5 mil households. So number of households receiving more than 1 paper should be at least 1.5 mil.

Answer (E)

Karishma if we tried to solve this algebraically: (numbers in million)

AuBuC=A+b+C-{exactly 2}-2*{exactly 3} --->9=12-{exactly 2}-2*{exactly 3} ---> {exactly 2}+2*{exactly3}=3 (1)

Is this the 3 that you mention in your explanation? (red phrase).

Then what do we say? we want to find {exactly 2}+{exactly 3}... Based on (1) i guess I have to find the value of {exactly 3}.. then what?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64933 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SonyGmat wrote:
anjanapadmaraj wrote:

a. At least 3 million

b. Exactly 3 million

c. Less than 3 million

d. At least 2 million

e. At least 1.5 million.

Answer (E)

Karishma if we tried to solve this algebraically: (numbers in million)

AuBuC=A+b+C-{exactly 2}-2*{exactly 3} --->9=12-{exactly 2}-2*{exactly 3} ---> {exactly 2}+2*{exactly3}=3 (1)

Is this the 3 that you mention in your explanation? (red phrase).

Then what do we say? we want to find {exactly 2}+{exactly 3}... Based on (1) i guess I have to find the value of {exactly 3}.. then what?

Yes it is. 3 mil newspapers are second or third papers.

{exactly 2}+2*{exactly3}=3
Maximize households -> Distribute each of the 3 mil papers in two paper homes. {exactly3} = 0
{exactly2} = 3
Number of households subscribing to more than 1 paper = 3 mil

Minimize households -> Distribute each of the 3 mil papers in 3 paper homes. {exactly 2} = 0
2*{exactly 3} = 3
{exactly 3} = 1.5 mil
Number of households subscribing to more than 1 paper = 1.5 mil
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 487 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Yes it is. 3 mil newspapers are second or third papers.

{exactly 2}+2*{exactly3}=3
Maximize households -> Distribute each of the 3 mil papers in two paper homes. {exactly3} = 0
{exactly2} = 3
Number of households subscribing to more than 1 paper = 3 mil

Minimize households -> Distribute each of the 3 mil papers in 3 paper homes. {exactly 2} = 0
2*{exactly 3} = 3
{exactly 3} = 1.5 mil
Number of households subscribing to more than 1 paper = 1.5 mil

Perfect explanation as always. Thanks.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92933 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts