Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 17:36 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 17:36
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 544 [165]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [49]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
WE:Programming (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66908 [19]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 544 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Send PM
Re: In a two-month survey of shoppers, each shopper bought one of two bran [#permalink]
Kudos
Leo8 wrote:
+ A

I solved it similar to you and also went with (A). However, I got 35% for the shoppers that bought Brand Y in the second month. I realize that doesn't matter because it is a DS question. But, I've attached my work to show anyone who is curious. As for statement (2), I concur.
Attachments

File comment: My work
OG QR 246.JPG
OG QR 246.JPG [ 72.74 KiB | Viewed 53211 times ]

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1028 [3]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
In a two-month survey of shoppers, each shopper bought one of two bran [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
moonwalking wrote:
In a two-month survey of shoppers, each shopper bought one of two brands of detergent, X or Y, in the first month and again bought one of these brands in the second month. In the survey, 90 percent of the shoppers who bought Brand X in the first month bought Brand X again in the second month, while 60 percent of the shoppers who bought Brand Y in the first month bought Brand Y again in the second month. What percent of the shoppers bought Brand Y in the second month?

(1) In the first month, 50 percent of the shoppers bought Brand X.

(2) The total number of shoppers surveyed was 5,000.

this question reminds me overlapping sets:)

90% bought X
60% bought y
statement 1 says 50 percent of the shoppers bought Brand X.
which means that out of 90 percent who bought both x and y, only 50% bought x
hence: 90-50 = 40 % :) so I chose A

please, correct if I am wrong :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [12]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Re: In a two-month survey of shoppers, each shopper bought one of two bran [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Ans A:

St 1: Assume Total Participants in the survey be 100.

First Month: 50% bought brand X. Therefore, Purchase split X=50 and Y=50

Second Month: Revised Purchase split
X= (0.9x50) + (0.4x50) = 65
Y= 100 - 65 = 35%

St 2: Insufficient, as we require the split between X and Y and not the absolute number of buyers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V29
Send PM
Hi VeritasKarishma

I solved this question using the Matrix based approach. However, after solving this question one thing raised on my mind.
The question stem says, "each shopper bought one of two brands of detergent, X or Y".

Therefore, there cannot be some number of people who bought both brands of X and Y correct?

What would the phrase look like if there were some number of people who bought both brands of X and Y?

I am asking this because while solving this question I wasted some time as I did go through these questions.

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [8]
Given Kudos: 645
GMAT 1: 490 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This was very easy to answer in matrix method.

Please refer attached
Attachments

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 62.09 KiB | Viewed 37018 times ]

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66908 [2]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
In a two-month survey of shoppers, each shopper bought one of two bran [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gurudabl wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

I solved this question using the Matrix based approach. However, after solving this question one thing raised on my mind.
The question stem says, "each shopper bought one of two brands of detergent, X or Y".

Therefore, there cannot be some number of people who bought both brands of X and Y correct?

What would the phrase look like if there were some number of people who bought both brands of X and Y?

I am asking this because while solving this question I wasted some time as I did go through these questions.

Thank you.

The question tells you that the shoppers bought one of the two brands. So they bought only one.
Had the question said 'at least one of the two brands' that would mean they bought 1 or both. Usually, people can belong to multiple sets until and unless specified otherwise (as done in our question).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
Send PM
(1) In the first month, 50 percent of the shoppers bought Brand X. : this tells us rest 50 % bought Y in the first month and the stem tells us that 60% of people who bought Y in first month bought Y in second month as well, and that's exactly what's asked.

No of people who bought Y in second month= 60% of 50%
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22730 [3]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
Kudos