Last visit was: 24 May 2024, 04:18 It is currently 24 May 2024, 04:18
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 113
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [352]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Target Test Prep Representative
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Status:Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Posts: 18895
Own Kudos [?]: 22311 [69]
Given Kudos: 285
Location: United States (CA)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Joined: 01 Nov 2016
Posts: 40
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [17]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Technology, Operations
Send PM
General Discussion
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4462
Own Kudos [?]: 28672 [25]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a pa [#permalink]
8
Kudos
17
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
roygush wrote:
in the figure above, if MNOPis a trapzoid and NOPRis a parallelogram, what is the area of triangular regoin MNR?

(1) The are of NOPR is 30
(2) The are of OQP is 5

If someone can please explain.
Thanks.

Dear roygush,
I'm happy to help. :-)

First of all, here's a important geometry theorem to know:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/isosceles- ... -the-gmat/
Triangle MNR has equal base angles --- therefore, it's isosceles, which means MN = NR. Because NOPR is a parallelogram, NR = OP, so that MN = NR = OP.

Here's a version of the graph with a new perpendicular line drawn:
Attachment:
parallelogram with isosceles triangle.JPG
parallelogram with isosceles triangle.JPG [ 20.79 KiB | Viewed 147209 times ]

Because the bases are parallel, OQ = NT --- the distance between two parallel lines is always the same.

Statement #1: The area of NOPR is 30
From that, there's no way to determine the areas inside the triangle MNR. That statement, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

Statement #2: The area of OQP is 5
Well, if the shaded region is 5, we could figure out the pieces of the isosceles triangle. Still, we wouldn't know anything about that central part, NOQR. That would remain unknown. Therefore, this statement, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

Combined statements
Now, we know the area of NOPR is 30. We know that the two little triangles, MNT and TNR, are congruent to QOP, so each has an area of 5. That gives a total area of 30 + 5 + 5 = 40 to the whole trapezoid. With both statements, we can calculate the area, so combined, the statements are sufficient.

Answer = (C)

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 29 Jan 2013
Posts: 25
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [66]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a pa [#permalink]
47
Kudos
18
Bookmarks
IMO B

The question asks only about area of triangle MNR

In the figure given by mick..consider the two triangles NTR and OQP

angle NRT = angle OPQ ( as NR and OP are parallel and equal also)
angle NTR = angle OQP = 90 (altitudes)
=> angle TNR = angle QOP

As two angles and the corresponding side (NR and OP) are equal the two triangles, as per ASA rule,are congruent. Hence both will have same area.

Similarly the triangles MNT and NTR are congruent (ASA rule again). Hence the area of triangle MNR = area of MNT + area of NTR = 5+5 = 10
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4462
Own Kudos [?]: 28672 [33]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a pa [#permalink]
30
Kudos
2
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
adityapagadala wrote:
IMO B
The question asks only about area of triangle MNR

Dear adityapagadala,
You are totally 100% correct. I am embarrassed to say --- I made the most boneheaded of all GMAT mistakes: was so concerned with analyzing the diagram, I lost track of exactly what the prompt was asking and assumed it was asking for the area of the whole. You are perfectly correct --- the answer has to be (B).
Mike :-)
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 12 Jan 2014
Posts: 1
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a pa [#permalink]
1
Bookmarks
mikemcgarry wrote:
adityapagadala wrote:
IMO B
The question asks only about area of triangle MNR

Dear adityapagadala,
You are totally 100% correct. I am embarrassed to say --- I made the most boneheaded of all GMAT mistakes: was so concerned with analyzing the diagram, I lost track of exactly what the prompt was asking and assumed it was asking for the area of the whole. You are perfectly correct --- the answer has to be (B).
Mike :-)


Hi Mike,

Would you mind explaining in detail why statement 1 is insufficient. I lost a lot of time on this part of the problem.

Thanks
-Chris
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4462
Own Kudos [?]: 28672 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a pa [#permalink]
4
Kudos
Expert Reply
CVarga wrote:
Hi Mike,
Would you mind explaining in detail why statement 1 is insufficient. I lost a lot of time on this part of the problem.
Thanks
-Chris

Dear Chris,
I'm happy to help. :-)

The area of a parallelogram is (base)*(height). We know nothing about the slant angle x, so we have no idea how much of the parallelogram the triangle occupies. First of all, we know b*h = 30 from Statement #1, but we don't know if we have a base of 1 and a height of 30, or a base of 30 and a height of 1, or something else. Furthermore, we don't know the slant angle x ----- perhaps x = 89°, nearly vertical, so that the side triangle is just a tall skinny sliver, or maybe x is something like 20° or 30°, so that the base of the triangle (QP) is most of the length of the base of the parallelogram (RP). Even knowing the parallelogram has an area of 30, we could design things consistent with this statement & the diagram so that the triangle OQP has an area of nearly zero or nearly half the parallelogram or anything in between.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
User avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 15 Jul 2012
Posts: 24
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a pa [#permalink]
adityapagadala wrote:
IMO B

The question asks only about area of triangle MNR

In the figure given by mick..consider the two triangles NTR and OQP

angle NRT = angle OPQ ( as NR and OP are parallel and equal also)
angle NTR = angle OQP = 90 (altitudes)
=> angle TNR = angle QOP

As two angles and the corresponding side (NR and OP) are equal the two triangles, as per ASA rule,are congruent. Hence both will have same area.

Similarly the triangles MNT and NTR are congruent (ASA rule again). Hence the area of triangle MNR = area of MNT + area of NTR = 5+5 = 10


hey nice solution.

can you please explain the colored part it seems that NRT is exterior angle of given parallelogram, while OPQ is interior angle of the parallellogram.
how are they equal? i lack basics in these geometrical concepts.
thanks in advance.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4462
Own Kudos [?]: 28672 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a pa [#permalink]
1
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
saggii27 wrote:
hey nice solution.

can you please explain the colored part it seems that NRT is exterior angle of given parallelogram, while OPQ is interior angle of the parallellogram.
how are they equal? i lack basics in these geometrical concepts.
thanks in advance.

Dear Saggii27,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Because NOPR is a parallelogram, this means NR is parallel to OP. This means that RP is a line that cuts across two parallel lines --- such a line is known as a "transversal." See this blog for all the angles that must be equal in this situation:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/angles-and ... -the-gmat/

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 05 Jul 2015
Posts: 53
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
GMAT 1: 600 Q33 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a pa [#permalink]
1
Bookmarks
The official answer is B but I'm not quite understanding why we can't use A to divide the area by 3 and get 10. You can tell from the picture that it fits 3 times....
Manager
Manager
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 161
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Duke '19 (M)
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a pa [#permalink]
1
Kudos
DJ1986 wrote:
The official answer is B but I'm not quite understanding why we can't use A to divide the area by 3 and get 10. You can tell from the picture that it fits 3 times....


Never make any assumptions about figures - especially on DS

They draw them out of scale on purpose to catch people in this very trap.
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 17 Sep 2015
Posts: 68
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a pa [#permalink]
Image
In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a parallelogram, what is the area of triangular region MNR?

(1) The ares of NOPR is 30
(2) The area of the shaded region is 5

A) area of NOPR is 30, this is a parallelogram. It consists of two congruent triangle.

A right proved by others : triangle OPR is congruent to triangle NTR (or half of triangle NMR)

so basically triangle OPR is one of the two congruent triangles which makes up the parallelogram. Since OPR = NTR.

hence half the area of the parallelogram is the area of the req triangle MNR -----> sufficient

Im sure Im going wrong somewhere but this is what i figured in the test. Can someone please point out where am i going wrong in my logic?

Geometry is my weakest area. Thanks in advance
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4462
Own Kudos [?]: 28672 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a pa [#permalink]
Expert Reply
aniketm.87@gmail.com wrote:
Image
In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a parallelogram, what is the area of triangular region MNR?

(1) The ares of NOPR is 30
(2) The area of the shaded region is 5

A) area of NOPR is 30, this is a parallelogram. It consists of two congruent triangle.

A right proved by others : triangle OPR is congruent to triangle NTR (or half of triangle NMR)

so basically triangle OPR is one of the two congruent triangles which makes up the parallelogram. Since OPR = NTR.

hence half the area of the parallelogram is the area of the req triangle MNR -----> sufficient

Im sure Im going wrong somewhere but this is what i figured in the test. Can someone please point out where am i going wrong in my logic?

Geometry is my weakest area. Thanks in advance

Dear aniketm.87,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, either diagonal of a parallelogram will indeed divide the parallelogram into two congruent triangles. Do you understand exactly what the the word "congruent" means? It means totally matching in every way: every side in one triangle is exactly equal to the corresponding side in the other, and every angle in one triangle is exactly equal to the corresponding angle in the other. It's absolutely impossible for two triangles to be congruent if one has a right angle and the other doesn't.

In parallelogram NOPR, it's true that triangle OPR is congruent to triangle NOR, but that doesn't help us answer the prompt question at all.

Triangle NTR, the right triangle that is half of triangle NMR, is not even pretending to be congruent to either OPR or NOR. Triangle NTR has a right angle, and neither OPR or NOR has a right angle.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Joined: 20 Jan 2016
Posts: 147
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a pa [#permalink]
"As two angles and the corresponding side (NR and OP) are equal the two triangles, as per ASA rule,are congruent. Hence both will have same area."

Is this theory true ? can someone please confirm this.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4462
Own Kudos [?]: 28672 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a pa [#permalink]
1
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
pra1785 wrote:
"As two angles and the corresponding side (NR and OP) are equal the two triangles, as per ASA rule,are congruent. Hence both will have same area."

Is this theory true ? can someone please confirm this.

Dear pra1785,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Yes, that's 100% correct. :-) For more detail, see:
GMAT Data Sufficiency: Congruence Rules

Let me know if you have further questions after reading that blog.

Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Joined: 27 Sep 2019
Posts: 51
Own Kudos [?]: 214 [0]
Given Kudos: 665
Location: India
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a pa [#permalink]
adityapagadala wrote:
IMO B

The question asks only about area of triangle MNR

In the figure given by mick..consider the two triangles NTR and OQP

angle NRT = angle OPQ ( as NR and OP are parallel and equal also)
angle NTR = angle OQP = 90 (altitudes)
=> angle TNR = angle QOP

As two angles and the corresponding side (NR and OP) are equal the two triangles, as per ASA rule,are congruent. Hence both will have same area.

Similarly the triangles MNT and NTR are congruent (ASA rule again). Hence the area of triangle MNR = area of MNT + area of NTR = 5+5 = 10


adityapagadala mikemcgarry
How triangles MNT and NTR are congruent?
You are saying that as per ASA rule they are congruent, but how angle TNM and TNR are equal?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 07 May 2020
Posts: 1
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a pa [#permalink]
Why can just assume that the line that seemingly creates a triangle from Q to O actually meets in point O ? I understand how to solve the problem based on the assumption but would it not be wrong to just assume that it creates a triangle?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 06 Mar 2020
Posts: 34
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a pa [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
roygush wrote:
in the figure above, if MNOPis a trapzoid and NOPRis a parallelogram, what is the area of triangular regoin MNR?

(1) The are of NOPR is 30
(2) The are of OQP is 5

If someone can please explain.
Thanks.

Dear roygush,
I'm happy to help. :-)

First of all, here's a important geometry theorem to know:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/isosceles- ... -the-gmat/
Triangle MNR has equal base angles --- therefore, it's isosceles, which means MN = NR. Because NOPR is a parallelogram, NR = OP, so that MN = NR = OP.

Here's a version of the graph with a new perpendicular line drawn:
Attachment:
parallelogram with isosceles triangle.JPG

Because the bases are parallel, OQ = NT --- the distance between two parallel lines is always the same.

Statement #1: The area of NOPR is 30
From that, there's no way to determine the areas inside the triangle MNR. That statement, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

Statement #2: The area of OQP is 5
Well, if the shaded region is 5, we could figure out the pieces of the isosceles triangle. Still, we wouldn't know anything about that central part, NOQR. That would remain unknown. Therefore, this statement, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

Combined statements
Now, we know the area of NOPR is 30. We know that the two little triangles, MNT and TNR, are congruent to QOP, so each has an area of 5. That gives a total area of 30 + 5 + 5 = 40 to the whole trapezoid. With both statements, we can calculate the area, so combined, the statements are sufficient.

Answer = (C)

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)


Thanks Mike - this makes sense, but how can you see that TR = QP? I can see how the rest of the angles/sides are congruent but not that particular piece.
Tutor
Joined: 04 Aug 2010
Posts: 1321
Own Kudos [?]: 3163 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a pa [#permalink]
1
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
roygush wrote:

In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a parallelogram, what is the area of triangular region MNR?

(1) The ares of NOPR is 30
(2) The area of the shaded region is 5

Attachment:
The attachment Capture.JPG is no longer available


Let x=40.
Since triangle MNR is isosceles, MNOP is a trapezoid, and NOPR is a parallelogram, the following figure is yielded:
Attachment:
MNR and NOPR.png
MNR and NOPR.png [ 166.33 KiB | Viewed 52085 times ]


The case above illustrates that triangle MNS = triangle NRS = triangle OPQ.

Statement 1; The area of region NOPR is 30
It's possible that NOQR = 25 and that triangle OPQ = 5.
In this case, since triangle MNS = triangle NRS = triangle OPQ = 5, triangle MNR = triangle MNS + triangle NRS = 5+5 = 10.

It's possible that NOQR = 26 and that triangle OPQ = 4.
In this case, since triangle MNS = triangle NRS = triangle OPQ = 4, triangle MNR = triangle MNS + triangle NRS = 4+4 = 8.

Since triangle MNR can be different values, INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2: The area of the shaded region is 5.
Since triangle MNS = triangle NRS = triangle OPQ = 5, triangle MNR = triangle MNS + triangle NRS = 5+5 = 10.
SUFFICIENT.

.

Originally posted by GMATGuruNY on 11 Sep 2020, 04:44.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on 08 Oct 2020, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a pa [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
93447 posts