Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [19]
Given Kudos: 255
Concentration: Economics, International Business
Schools: ISB '19 Fox"19
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: In the year following an eight-cent increase in the federal tax on a [#permalink]
This question is similar to the one in official GMAT exam pack.
According to me it's E. That is the only option which deals with sales of the cigarettes.

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619030 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: In the year following an eight-cent increase in the federal tax on a [#permalink]
Expert Reply
nailin16 wrote:
In the year following an eight-cent increase in the federal tax on a pack of cigarettes, sales of cigarettes fell ten percent. In contrast, in the year prior to the tax increase, sales had fallen one percent. The volume of cigarette sales is therefore strongly related to the after-tax price of a pack of cigarettes.

Which of the following, if true, provides the evidence that contradicts the hypothesis above?

A. During the year following the tax increase, the pretax price of a pack of cigarettes did not increase by as much as it had during the year prior to the tax increase.

B. The one percent fall in cigarette sales in the year prior to tax increase was due to a smaller tax increase.

C. The pretax price of a pack of cigarettes gradually decreased throughout the year before and the year after the tax increase.

D. For the year following the tax increase, the pretax price of a pack of cigarettes was not eight or more cents lower than it had been the previous year.

E. Economic growth boosts employment rate and thus alleviates the number of smokers.In the year following the tax increase the country observed a tremendous boost in the economy.

Similar questions:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-year- ... 41838.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-year- ... 70306.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 1250
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Bookmarks
IanStewart wrote:
It's hard to evaluate E because it's not using words correctly (you can't "alleviate the number of smokers"; that's not using "alleviate" correctly). Of course if we have an explanation for a decline in smoking besides price, that contradicts the hypothesis, so if that's what answer E is trying to say, it's a good answer.

But C is also a good answer. The stem points out that the tax alone increased, but then draws a conclusion about the overall price of cigarettes. Those aren't the same thing. If the pre-tax price dropped when the tax increased, those two changes might cancel each other out, or the overall price might even go down despite the tax increase. Answer C tells us that the pre-tax price of cigarettes "gradually decreased throughout the year before ... the tax increase". If the price is gradually decreasing throughout the year, it surely is decreasing by at least one cent several times. The tax increase is only eight cents (it's not 8%, it's eight cents), so answer C makes it at least probable that the overall price of cigarettes was lower in the year after the tax hike than it was, on average, in the year before. And if that's the case, the evidence cited doesn't establish any relationship between after-tax price and smoking, so this contradicts the hypothesis.

E is a better answer than C if it means what I'm guessing it's trying to say (a strong economy leads to a reduction in the number of smokers and there was a strong economy in the year of the tax increase, so we have a different explanation for the smoking decrease). But I don't like these prep company questions that have two right answers, since you never see that on the actual GMAT.

I agreed with this expert. I was hesitant as the option (C) and (E) could both be the right answer.
Finally I chose the option (E), as it addresses the number of smokers and implies a reduction in the overall demand for cigarettes. By pointing out another possible cause of dropping sales of cigarettes, it weakens the argument's hypothesis that the sales is related to the after-tax price.

The option (C) could also be the right answer, and it would be my choice if the option (E) did not exist. It is less ideal than the option (E) since it does not clearly address how much the pretax price decreased. If the pretax price decreased by more than eight cents, the decrease would offset the new tax increase of eight cents, making the after-tax price unchanged or even lower. With lower sales but same aftertax price, the argument's hypothesis looks weird.

However, if the pretax price decreased slightly (let's say three cents), then the aftertax price would still rise due to the tax increase. With lower sales and higher aftertax price, the argument's hypothesis looks logical. In this scenario, the option (C) could not attract the hypothesis.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts