Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 23:13 It is currently 01 May 2024, 23:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

When would you start?

You may select 1 option
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: In this economy, when would you start work? [#permalink]
Honestly, and this may sound bad, but it is true. You may be ready to start work in July. It's really tough with a newborn, especially the first 3 months. They don't really do much, except eat, sleep, cry, pee, and poop. What stinks is at about 8 months they become a real blast! To bad by then you'll be 5 months into work.

I would say go ahead and start in July so your wife can take off some more time if she wants. She gets 12 weeks, but she might want to take a few more.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Rhyme....I want to say CONGRATS on your baby!

If I were in your shoes, I would start in July. You would still have time off, and I find the middle option to be negligible. The last option seems a little late.

So really, if I were to decide, I would be looking at either July or September. However, a counter argument can be made that starting in July compared to September career progression wise would be negligible as well, but that time off could potentially be priceless as you would be spending time with your newborn and wife.

Hard decisions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Rhyme, congrats on your baby :)

Honestly if you have an MBA from a good school, you shouldn't be too worried about start date and such.. you won't be able to savor all the little things your baby girl does as much when you start your work.. if you look back at your life 20 years from now, the difference these 2/3 months does to your career is insignificant compared to your memories with your baby daughter..

As long as you have the offer and you feel confident your firm will not rescind the offer, I say September all the way..
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Hm.. I would gauge what the climate is like when you have to give them your decision. I would aim for August, but be prepared to shoot for July in case you feel that competition will risk your offer. Can you talk to the person who gave your offer, or HR, to get their opinion about the situation? I'm sure they would be sympathetic to a new Dad.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Send PM
Congrats Rhyme!

If I were you, I would start ASAP - i.e in 5 weeks. Nail that job offer and that signing bonus. May be when things improve, in an year or so you can take a big break and spend time with your daughter. At that point, she be one year old and wouldn't that be more fun?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Send PM
1st..congrats on your baby! that's good news.

NOw..the tough part..
I don't know what kind of firm are you getting yourself into, but if it's something that requires you to compete hard (especially going against other new hires)..go with July.
But if it's a nature where you will automatically considered for promotion after 2-3 years, just chill out first.
You will work for the rest for your life, so if you can get this break, definitely take it. It's an opportunity.
you never know how hard will it be to get vacation once you are rolling.
So if i were you..try to go with September.
But again only you can judge your own financial and professional situation.. and I know you'll make the right decision.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
September, rhyme. It's all too easy to lose sight of the really important things in life.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
I said September also. Family time is highly underrated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
August seems a good compromise to me. Plus, starting in August is going to be easier.

Babies don't do much 3 months into life, but family time (and ability to help out the wifey) is good nonetheless.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Kudos
September.

Congrats!
This is a unique opportunity, once in a lifetime, to spend 3 months bonding with your new born baby. As a father of 2, It's the most rewarding thing in the world. non-parental observers of other peoples families and kids just can't relate to the love and closeness that is generated.
From a practical parenting point of view, your partner will need your support because new-born babies do not sleep for more than 3-4 hours in one go, and she will be post-partum and which will play around alot with her emotions. Just being there will be great for her. Also, due to this sleep habit, you won't be able to perform optimally during work anyhow! My work suffered with each of my 2 kids because I wanted to be involved in the upbringing of my children, rather than just be the person who finances it!

The most important thing, is, at the new-born stage they so easy to bond with. If you start getting overloaded with work too soon, it is throw yourself into the world of career and forget about the family because you can easily end up prioritising career over family.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
August seems like a good compromise, imo. You'd get some time at home w/ the family.

But more importantly, I think by starting earlier, it would be easier to take more time off around the holidays. Then you'd get to spend time with your daughter when she's a bit older and from what my friends with babies tell me, "at the fun age."
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Rhyme, I voted for July. If having your offer rescinded is a real concern, then you should start asap. Just tell yourself that you will spend your first month's pay (the extra pay that you get from starting in July vs. August) on something nice/fun for your family (maybe a vacation in December to somewhere tropical?).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
rhyme, another big congrats on the baby!

I voted for August, because how many times will you get a chance to take more than a couple weeks off to spend with a new baby in your career? You're going to be working for the rest of your life (unless you strike it rich and retire early), you may never get a chance to take this much time off again and spend it with those you love dearly. You may lose the job, yes. You may need the income, yes. But with a Booth degree, I'm sure any unemployment would not last very long, especially for an accomplished guy such as you.

Take some time off. Spend it with the Mrs. and Jr. Enjoy some of the best times of your life before you go back to the corporate machinery again. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
If they want to rescind your offer it doesn't matter whether you have started or not - they will just as easy lay you off.

I am sure they will be highly understanding of your reasoning should you go later (plus many say that employers like the stability and financial hell-hole of a family man) so go with what you feel is best for you.

Me - I would probably go August. September is a lot of time off work.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Thanks for the well wishes :)

I find it interesting that the distribution of votes is so broad - it just goes to show you that its not a simple decision. I'm currently leaning towards July, but may consider August.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Rhyme - many many many congratulations on the little one. In the end this is your decision to make. You and only you definitely know best for your situation.

I'd personally spend 3 months with my daughter, it'd be an incredible experience. They say kids absorb a lot when they are very young and they grow up so fast in their first year - every day you will see a new and exciting development.

But then again you need to weigh it up - you are the provider after all :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
The first year maynot be the 'fun' year, but its certainly the year with the most 'firsts'. First tooth, first solids, first crawl, first standing, first walking, first babble, first roll over, first recognition of faces, first of everything, and it's great!!!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2