Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 21:00 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
Consulting to asset management to sales and trading and now back to consulting (and think I'm done changing my mind now.)

That seems to be the trend of almost all MBAs, changing their minds often. It is humorous how we had to sell schools on short term and long term goals, most of which never will come to fruition.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
i-banking.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
i-banking.

I don't believe you. For real?
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
aaudetat wrote:
i-banking.

may be she is expecting that NGOs would diversify into i-banking ;)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
btw, I had a meeting with my career team today and have changed my mind again: head hunter or advisor.

L.
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
[#permalink]
lepium wrote:
btw, I had a meeting with my career team today and have changed my mind again: head hunter or advisor.

L.

Lepium, I am not sure of high profile head hunting jobs. But I had a friend who was a head hunter for middle-level managers and managers a little above that. I heard a lot of negative things about this profession. Of course, it also depends on the fit.

Knowing you a little bit on the forum, I feel you can be a great general manager. Just my humble opinion :)

Have you read the book "Who says elephants can't dance?" by Louis Gersnter? I found some good insights on general management in this book.
SVP
SVP
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
aaudetat wrote:
i-banking.

nah, just seeing if you guys are paying attention. I am considering a rotational program in consumer banking though. Citi, BoA, that kind of thing. For me, that's drinking the kool-aid.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
johnnyx9 wrote:
aaudetat wrote:
i-banking.

nah, just seeing if you guys are paying attention. I am considering a rotational program in consumer banking though. Citi, BoA, that kind of thing. For me, that's drinking the kool-aid.

Okay, for a second there I was worried.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Still on exactly the same career path - it was my reason d'etre for actually coming to school, so I am happy I haven't drifted.

I can't believe how many recruiting events I have been to in the past two weeks. Being in NYC is full of advantages and evils. The number of visits to potential employers is going to be quite savage.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've been attending investment banking events; seems to be a good fit for my personality. If things work out this year and I come back with an offer, I might look at an equity fund next year. It seems that most like to delay recruiting till the last possible moment. I might also look into raising an equity fund for investment in China.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Consulting to venture capital and now back to consulting. My social capital network basically consists of consultants, managers and junior/senior partners. I even got lucky and was chosen as a mentee by an up and growing boutique firm liasioning with Seattle-Shanghai trade operations.

Problem is, I think I'm too pigeon holed in the industry. I need to branch and out and sample a few other functions.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just curious

Isn't it too early to come to a conclusion?
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Just curious

I think that it is good to have a goal in mind right now since recruiting is really starting to get in full swing. There are just too many events and without focus you would not have enough time to attend them all. I wouldnt suggest ruling out everything except one function/industry. But having an idea of what you want to do is a great help!
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Just curious

I think most people would argue that it's too late to not come to a conclusion. There are certain industries which, if you haven't been showing up for recruiting events since they started in October, you've missed the boat.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah, I agree with Johnnyx9. If you're interested in banking and you haven't decided yet, it's too late. Pretty much all the big banks have been on campus already, and some will be making their 4th visits next week. I think the prevailing opinion is that if you don't land a banking internship, it's really really tough to get a full-time offer as a second year. So, depending on the field, you have to decide pretty much right away.

On the other hand, most general management and marketing recruiters just come to campus once to make a general presentation, and schmoozing is not required, so you can decide much later and just drop a resume. For banking, and the top consulting firms, you must schmooze. Some banks have even come straight out and said that even if someone successfully bids for an interview with them, they will not make an offer unless they know the candidate well (aside from the interview).
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]