Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
If you're trying to jump from a 540 to a 720 in two months, it will be tremendously difficult. I went from a 640 (diagnostic) to a 730 (actual gmat) and it took me 7 weeks of hardcore preparation after about 2 months of very loose preparation.

I would recommend you do 10 questions at a time, and time it. Try doing the first 1/3 of each section on the OG. If you cannot finish these questions quickly, you will have a difficult time scoring 700+. A 700+ should be able to breeze through the first 2/3 of each section.

You need to identify what you are weak at. For example, problem solving is not a good enough answer. It has to be geometry, or arithmetic or probability etc.

For the verbal, you need to work on each section separately. You need to learn every rule in sentence correction and use a quick methodical checklist to eliminate incorrect answers. For reading comp, start reading intellectual periodicals, daily. Critical Reasoning is a bit tougher to learn, but you just have to recognize the pattern of arguments that come up over and over on the GMAT. Identify the conclusion and manipulate the assumption to get the answer that the question is asking for.

If you want a 700+ you will need to dedicate more time and get serious with the test. From afar, the GMAT looks pretty easy, but in actuality it is more difficult than people think it is.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for all of the info. Once I dive into the other areas of the GMAT, I'll have a better idea of which areas I am struggling in.

You have a really great idea with reading intellectual periodicals daily. Where can I find intellectual periodicals?? I'm sure the articles I read on digg don't count :p
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
ramyhin wrote:

You have a really great idea with reading intellectual periodicals daily. Where can I find intellectual periodicals?? I'm sure the articles I read on digg don't count :p

Yes, but not my idea. It is the idea of a fellow gmatclubber. I got a postcard from Time magazine for an annual subscription for $20. It was like fate knocking on my door. I subscribed and read it cover to cover every week. It was boring as heck, but I just had to do it.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I read The Economist for a couple of years before the GMAT and I must say it did help me improve the RCs a lot. I read it because I enjoyed doing so, and then noticed how helpful reading it was.

Cheers. L.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]