GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 23:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

K is a set of integers such that if the integer r is in K,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 208
K is a set of integers such that if the integer r is in K,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Aug 2012, 03:39
4
7
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (00:42) correct 36% (01:00) wrong based on 563 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

K is a set of integers such that if the integer r is in K, then r + 1 is also in K. Is 100 in K?

(1) 50 is in K.
(2) 150 is in K.

_________________

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....


Originally posted by dkverma on 17 Oct 2010, 06:30.
Last edited by Bunuel on 04 Aug 2012, 03:39, edited 1 time in total.
OA added.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50007
K is a set of integers such that if the integer r is in K,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2010, 06:40
1
7
dkverma wrote:
K is a set of integers such that if the integer r is in K, then r + 1 is also in K. Is 100 in K?
(1) 50 is in K.
(2) 150 is in K.


(1) 50 is in K --> integers more than or equal to 50 are in the set K, so 100 is in the K. Sufficient.

(2) 150 is in K --> integers more than or equal to 150 are in the set K, so 100 may or may not be in the K (if the source integer is 100 or less then 100 is in K but if the source integer is more than 100 then 100 is not in K). Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Similar questions:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/k-is-a-set-o ... 96907.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/for-a-certain ... 36580.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/if-p-is-a-set ... 96630.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/k-is-a-set-of ... 03005.html

Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 769
Location: London
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Set of Integers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2010, 15:24
7
1
muditadixit81 wrote:
questions such as the one above never mention the total number of terms in the set , wouldnt that matter , say if the set were to contain only 10 integers or say 50 , the answer to the question might change ....?


Not really, because the way the set is defined, it will always be either the empty set or an infinite set.

If the set contains any integer, it will have to contain all the integers greater than or equal to that integer. So the question of having exactly 50 or 100 integers never arises
_________________

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2010
Posts: 5
Re: Set of Integers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2010, 07:14
questions such as the one above never mention the total number of terms in the set , wouldnt that matter , say if the set were to contain only 10 integers or say 50 , the answer to the question might change ....?
BSchool Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 351
Re: Set of Integers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2010, 23:18
shrouded1 wrote:
muditadixit81 wrote:
questions such as the one above never mention the total number of terms in the set , wouldnt that matter , say if the set were to contain only 10 integers or say 50 , the answer to the question might change ....?


Not really, because the way the set is defined, it will always be either the empty set or an infinite set.

If the set contains any integer, it will have to contain all the integers greater than or equal to that integer. So the question of having exactly 50 or 100 integers never arises


Well, that is some valuable information. Thank you and +1.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Work hard, Play harder!
Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 15
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Schools: INSEAD, LBS, RSM
Re: Set of Integers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2010, 23:54
Guys, would you mind explaining the solution bit more. How can 100 be in set, if 50 is in K. Wouldn't r+1, i.e., 51 should be there? Thanks!
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 769
Location: London
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Set of Integers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2010, 00:19
4
vibhutirs wrote:
Guys, would you mind explaining the solution bit more. How can 100 be in set, if 50 is in K. Wouldn't r+1, i.e., 51 should be there? Thanks!


If r is in the set, r+1 will be in it.
So if 50 is in the set, 51 will be in it
If 51 is in the set, by the same logic, 52 will be in it
If 52 is in the set, 53 will be in it .... AND SO ON

So basically what the condition implies is if r is in the set, all the integers greater than r will also have to be in the set. Hence, 50 being in there is sufficient for 100 to be in there. But 150 being in there, is not necessarily sufficient
_________________

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 39
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 04-21-2013
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Re: please explain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2012, 02:55
From 1
If 50 is in a part of K then 51 is a part of k and if 51 is a part of k then 52 is also a part of k
so the possible values of k are k>=50

From 2
k>=150

so from 1 we can say that 100 is a part of k but from 2 we are not sure if it is contains 100 or not...

Ans: A)
_________________

KPV

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 20
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT Date: 01-17-2014
GPA: 3.84
Re: K is a set of integers such that if the integer r is in K,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2013, 06:31
Bunuel,
Hi I understood your explanation.However , I think if you were to classify statement 2 as insufficient then statement 1 would also be
if 50 is in set the 51,is also in the ,same as 52...... all the way to a hundred.
if 150 is in set then 149 must have been part of the set, 148 .. all the way to possibly 0.
But following your explanation you mentioned in statement two that there is no way of knowing if 100 was part of the set? Well i agree with you but how are we to know if statement 1 goes all the way to 100?
I was thinking that E would have been the answer.no?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50007
Re: K is a set of integers such that if the integer r is in K,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2013, 08:24
mumbijoh wrote:
Bunuel,
Hi I understood your explanation.However , I think if you were to classify statement 2 as insufficient then statement 1 would also be
if 50 is in set the 51,is also in the ,same as 52...... all the way to a hundred.
if 150 is in set then 149 must have been part of the set, 148 .. all the way to possibly 0.
But following your explanation you mentioned in statement two that there is no way of knowing if 100 was part of the set? Well i agree with you but how are we to know if statement 1 goes all the way to 100?
I was thinking that E would have been the answer.no?


We know that if r is in K, then r + 1 is also in K.

(1) says that 50 is in K, thus every integer more than 50 is also in K: 51 because 50 is there, 52 because 51 is there, ..., 100 because 99 is there.

Similar questions to practice:
for-a-certain-set-of-numbers-if-x-is-in-the-set-then-both-161920.html
for-a-certain-set-of-numbers-if-x-is-in-the-set-then-x-136580.html
a-set-of-numbers-has-the-property-that-for-any-number-t-in-t-98829.html
if-p-is-a-set-of-integers-and-3-is-in-p-is-every-positive-96630.html
k-is-a-set-of-numbers-such-that-i-if-x-is-in-k-then-x-96907.html

Hope this helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2011
Posts: 15
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: K is a set of integers such that if the integer r is in K,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2013, 11:50
Bunuel wrote:
mumbijoh wrote:
Bunuel,
Hi I understood your explanation.However , I think if you were to classify statement 2 as insufficient then statement 1 would also be
if 50 is in set the 51,is also in the ,same as 52...... all the way to a hundred.
if 150 is in set then 149 must have been part of the set, 148 .. all the way to possibly 0.
But following your explanation you mentioned in statement two that there is no way of knowing if 100 was part of the set? Well i agree with you but how are we to know if statement 1 goes all the way to 100?
I was thinking that E would have been the answer.no?


We know that if r is in K, then r + 1 is also in K.

(1) says that 50 is in K, thus every integer more than 50 is also in K: 51 because 50 is there, 52 because 51 is there, ..., 100 because 99 is there.

Similar questions to practice:
for-a-certain-set-of-numbers-if-x-is-in-the-set-then-both-161920.html
for-a-certain-set-of-numbers-if-x-is-in-the-set-then-x-136580.html
a-set-of-numbers-has-the-property-that-for-any-number-t-in-t-98829.html
if-p-is-a-set-of-integers-and-3-is-in-p-is-every-positive-96630.html
k-is-a-set-of-numbers-such-that-i-if-x-is-in-k-then-x-96907.html

Hope this helps.


Hi Bunuel,

Can you explain again why B is insufficient? If 150 is in K, 151, .152... resulting from ( r + 1) also is in K. That means 100 will be out of K because K includes only value > 150. B helps to always answer: NO (100 is always NOT in K: Sufficient).

Thanks.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50007
Re: K is a set of integers such that if the integer r is in K,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2013, 11:58
1
yenpham9 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
mumbijoh wrote:
Bunuel,
Hi I understood your explanation.However , I think if you were to classify statement 2 as insufficient then statement 1 would also be
if 50 is in set the 51,is also in the ,same as 52...... all the way to a hundred.
if 150 is in set then 149 must have been part of the set, 148 .. all the way to possibly 0.
But following your explanation you mentioned in statement two that there is no way of knowing if 100 was part of the set? Well i agree with you but how are we to know if statement 1 goes all the way to 100?
I was thinking that E would have been the answer.no?


We know that if r is in K, then r + 1 is also in K.

(1) says that 50 is in K, thus every integer more than 50 is also in K: 51 because 50 is there, 52 because 51 is there, ..., 100 because 99 is there.

Similar questions to practice:
for-a-certain-set-of-numbers-if-x-is-in-the-set-then-both-161920.html
for-a-certain-set-of-numbers-if-x-is-in-the-set-then-x-136580.html
a-set-of-numbers-has-the-property-that-for-any-number-t-in-t-98829.html
if-p-is-a-set-of-integers-and-3-is-in-p-is-every-positive-96630.html
k-is-a-set-of-numbers-such-that-i-if-x-is-in-k-then-x-96907.html

Hope this helps.


Hi Bunuel,

Can you explain again why B is insufficient? If 150 is in K, 151, .152... resulting from ( r + 1) also is in K. That means 100 will be out of K because K includes only value > 150. B helps to always answer: NO (100 is always NOT in K: Sufficient).

Thanks.


I guess you did not follow the links provided...

We don't know which is the source integer in the set, if it's 150, then 100 won't be in the set but if the source integer is say 10 or 20 (basically if the source integer is less than or equal to 100), then 100 will be in the set. So, 100 may or may not be in the set. Consider below two examples of the set:

{150, 151, 152, ...}
{1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 100, ..., 150, ...}

Notice that both sets satisfy the second statement.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 May 2014
Posts: 59
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Other
GMAT Date: 07-31-2014
GPA: 3.99
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Re: K is a set of integers such that if the integer r is in K,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2014, 10:49
1
If r is in K, r+1 is in K. So if 50 is in K, 51 is in K. But if 51 is in K, so is 52, and then so is 53, and so on. Indeed, if you know 50 is in K, you know that every positive integer larger than 50 must also be in K. So 1) is sufficient.

If 150 is in K, all we know for certain is that every positive integer greater than or equal to 150 must be in K. We don't know if 100 is in K. So 2) is insufficient.

Thus, A.
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 8496
Premium Member
Re: K is a set of integers such that if the integer r is in K,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2018, 02:20
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: K is a set of integers such that if the integer r is in K, &nbs [#permalink] 04 May 2018, 02:20
Display posts from previous: Sort by

K is a set of integers such that if the integer r is in K,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.