Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [15]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 712 [3]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Like temperate storms, the circulation of hurricanes is always counter [#permalink]
NandishSS wrote:
Like temperate storms, the circulation of hurricanes is always counterclockwise north of the equator- and then clockwise south of the equator.

A) Like temperate storms, the circulation of hurricanes is always counterclockwise north of the equator and then clockwise
B) Like those of temperate storms, the circulation of hurricanes is always counterclockwise when it is north of the equator and clockwise when
C) The circulation of hurricanes, as it is with temperate storms, always counterclockwise north of the equator and clockwise
D) As temperate storms are, hurricanes' circulation is always counterclockwise north of the equator and clockwise when
E)The circulation of hurricanes, like that of temperate storms, is always counterclockwise north of the equator and clockwise

HI GMATNinja , mikemcgarry , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert (Carolyn), ccooley

In Option E, Does that refers to circulation?
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT Dhanbad
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Like temperate storms, the circulation of hurricanes is always counter [#permalink]
NandishSS wrote:
NandishSS wrote:
Like temperate storms, the circulation of hurricanes is always counterclockwise north of the equator- and then clockwise south of the equator.

A) Like temperate storms, the circulation of hurricanes is always counterclockwise north of the equator and then clockwise
B) Like those of temperate storms, the circulation of hurricanes is always counterclockwise when it is north of the equator and clockwise when
C) The circulation of hurricanes, as it is with temperate storms, always counterclockwise north of the equator and clockwise
D) As temperate storms are, hurricanes' circulation is always counterclockwise north of the equator and clockwise when
E)The circulation of hurricanes, like that of temperate storms, is always counterclockwise north of the equator and clockwise

HI GMATNinja , mikemcgarry , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert (Carolyn), ccooley

In Option E, Does that refers to circulation?

Yes that refers to circulation...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Answer choice A and D are comparing temperature storms with the circulation of hurricane, which is wrong. The comparison must be of temperature storms with hurricane. So, A and D are eliminated. In answer choice B, plural “those” is used for the singular “circulation of hurricane”, which is wrong. So, we can eliminate B. Answer choice C lacks verb before “always”. Answer choice E has the correct structure. Hence, E is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
I feel As instead of like should be the right answer. Here circulation between hurricanes and temperature storms are being compared. But Like is used to compare two nouns. Isn't the usage of like wrong in this case?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
krishnabalu wrote:
I feel As instead of like should be the right answer. Here circulation between hurricanes and temperature storms are being compared. But Like is used to compare two nouns. Isn't the usage of like wrong in this case?
This is the comparison in option E:

The circulation of hurricanes, like that of temperate storms, is always counterclockwise north of the equator...

The comparison is between the circulation of hurricanes and the circulation of temperate storms.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
krishnabalu wrote:
This is the comparison in option E:

The circulation of hurricanes, like that of temperate storms, is always counterclockwise north of the equator...

The comparison is between the circulation of hurricanes and the circulation of temperate storms.

My bad, yes its the comparison between the cirulation of huricanes vs circulation of temperature storms. Which I think is comparing the action (circulation) between two things. If so, isnt As a better option over like
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
krishnabalu wrote:
My bad, yes its the comparison between the cirulation of huricanes vs circulation of temperature storms. Which I think is comparing the action (circulation) between two things. If so, isnt As a better option over like
The as/like call is not as straightforward as "nouns vs. actions", but we may not need to get into that, as circulation is a noun, not a verb.

Generally, we shouldn't worry about whether a noun implies an action. Even if we feel that a noun implies an action, it still remains a noun. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [2]
Given Kudos: 307
Send PM
Kudos