Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619030 [16]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Status:I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [5]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 997 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Line A is drawn on a rectangular coordinate plane. If the coordinate [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

Tough and Tricky questions: Coordinate Geometry.

Line A is drawn on a rectangular coordinate plane. If the coordinate pairs (3, 2) and (-1, -2) lie on line A, which of the following coordinate pairs does NOT lie on a line that is perpendicular to line A?

A. (5, 8) and (4, 9)
B. (3, -1) and (4, -2)
C. (-1, 6) and (-4, 9)
D. (2, 5) and (-3, 2)
E. (7, 1) and (6, 2)

With the given set I can find slope of the line:

\(\frac{-2-2}{-1-3}\) m= \(\frac{-4}{-4}\) = 1

A line that is perpendicular to above line will have a slope of -1 (Perpendicular line has a slope of (-1/m), where m is slope of original line)

Let us check options

\(\frac{9-8}{4-5}\) = -1 --> This line is perpendicular on given line.
\(\frac{-2+1}{4-3}\) = -1 --> This line is perpendicular on given line.
\(\frac{9-6}{-4+1}\) = \(\frac{3}{-3}\) =-1 --> This line is perpendicular on given line.
\(\frac{2-5}{-3-2}\) = \(\frac{-3}{-5}\) = 3/5 --> This line is NOT perpendicular on given line.

Option D is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Line A is drawn on a rectangular coordinate plane. If the coordinate [#permalink]
My strategy:
As the question demands to find out the coordinates that not lie on the perpendicular of question mentioned line, which's slope is positive, I have tried to find out the positive slope from the given coordinates using the normal slope formula.
Another strategy that helps to find out the positive slope is left to right direction and opposite for the negative.

Following the above, I found positive slope at option D.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
GPA: 4
Send PM
KarishmaB - Trying to see if there is a more efficient approac to this, that doesnt require calculating slopes for each answer choice.
Here's my thought proces, but I wonder if its sound? I am looking for a slope of -1 in the choices, as any slope with -1 would not be the answer to the question. Calculating each slope would be time-consuming, but I can see that in each choice, the diff between x coordinates and y coordinates is exactly the same, except in D, where x coordinates differ by 5 and y coordinates by 3, so this must be my answer.

I am guessing, if the correct answer had a slope of 1, then this approach would not hold, but it works for this question?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts