Last visit was: 21 May 2024, 04:40 It is currently 21 May 2024, 04:40
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 93365
Own Kudos [?]: 625479 [16]
Given Kudos: 81917
Send PM
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 93365
Own Kudos [?]: 625479 [1]
Given Kudos: 81917
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Joined: 13 Feb 2023
Posts: 1
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Send PM
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 93365
Own Kudos [?]: 625479 [0]
Given Kudos: 81917
Send PM
Re: M38-03 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
RucksackTales wrote:
How is A the correct answer, the question doesn't mention that the integers are in a series. now the set can have any number as the greatest number, viz. 1000000000 OR could be 4 where all other integers are -Ve Even number, their number being 99 (odd), so the product is still -ve.??


My dear friend, when posing a question, it is crucial to be as clear and precise as possible. That is, if your goal is to get accurate responses and enhance your GMAT skills.

Please take a moment to carefully reread the question and the solution. If you still find it unclear, make sure to rephrase your question in a way that is easy to understand, without the need for a team of decipherers. Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Joined: 08 Nov 2021
Posts: 9
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Location: India
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V22
Send PM
Re: M38-03 [#permalink]
Bunuel for option A, any reason the set cannot be {-2, 10, 20, 30, 40 .........500} and the range is > 200; In this sample set product of all the numbers in the set is negative as well
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 93365
Own Kudos [?]: 625479 [0]
Given Kudos: 81917
Send PM
Re: M38-03 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
1219bob1219 wrote:
Bunuel for option A, any reason the set cannot be {-2, 10, 20, 30, 40 .........500} and the range is > 200; In this sample set product of all the numbers in the set is negative as well


Your set satisfies the first statement, making it a possible scenario. However, it is important to note your set as well as all other possible sets will also have a range greater than or equal to 200, resulting in a definitive answer of NO to the question.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 08 Nov 2021
Posts: 9
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Location: India
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V22
Send PM
Re: M38-03 [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
1219bob1219 wrote:
Bunuel for option A, any reason the set cannot be {-2, 10, 20, 30, 40 .........500} and the range is > 200; In this sample set product of all the numbers in the set is negative as well


Your set satisfies the first statement, making it a possible scenario. However, it is important to note your set as well as all other possible sets will also have a range greater than or equal to 200, resulting in a definitive answer of NO to the question.



For the set {-2, 10, 20, 30, 40 .........500} Range > 200
And for a similar set { -52, -50, -48, -46 ............2, 4, .......... 46, 48, 50, 52, 54, 56} (no zero is included in the set) and the range is < 200; Probably I'm missing something that makes this answer as A
Intern
Intern
Joined: 23 Mar 2018
Posts: 1
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: M38-03 [#permalink]
1
Kudos
1219bob1219 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
1219bob1219 wrote:
Bunuel for option A, any reason the set cannot be {-2, 10, 20, 30, 40 .........500} and the range is > 200; In this sample set product of all the numbers in the set is negative as well


Your set satisfies the first statement, making it a possible scenario. However, it is important to note your set as well as all other possible sets will also have a range greater than or equal to 200, resulting in a definitive answer of NO to the question.



For the set {-2, 10, 20, 30, 40 .........500} Range > 200
And for a similar set { -52, -50, -48, -46 ............2, 4, .......... 46, 48, 50, 52, 54, 56} (no zero is included in the set) and the range is < 200; Probably I'm missing something that makes this answer as A


Hey, your second example doesn't include 100 terms mate

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Joined: 12 Feb 2023
Posts: 4
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Location: India
GMAT Focus 1:
705 Q88 V84 DI83
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Re: M38-03 [#permalink]
1
Kudos
1219bob1219 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
1219bob1219 wrote:
Bunuel for option A, any reason the set cannot be {-2, 10, 20, 30, 40 .........500} and the range is > 200; In this sample set product of all the numbers in the set is negative as well


Your set satisfies the first statement, making it a possible scenario. However, it is important to note your set as well as all other possible sets will also have a range greater than or equal to 200, resulting in a definitive answer of NO to the question.



For the set {-2, 10, 20, 30, 40 .........500} Range > 200
And for a similar set { -52, -50, -48, -46 ............2, 4, .......... 46, 48, 50, 52, 54, 56} (no zero is included in the set) and the range is < 200; Probably I'm missing something that makes this answer as A

What's happening here is that because you have an even number of numbers and the product is negative, they have to be on both sides of zero but they can't be zero.
Now the only case where the 100 DISTINCT even integers would have a range of less than 200 is if they are consecutive integers (as a simple example, from 2 to 200 you have 100 numbers and 198 as the range). But to satisfy option A, you need to have at least one 'gap' in the form of zero. Hence, the range will never be less than 200.

I'll admit it was a stupidly tricky question. I fell for it too.
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 93365
Own Kudos [?]: 625479 [0]
Given Kudos: 81917
Send PM
Re: M38-03 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ashutoshbirla wrote:
What's happening here is that because you have an even number of numbers and the product is negative, they have to be on both sides of zero but they can't be zero.
Now the only case where the 100 DISTINCT even integers would have a range of less than 200 is if they are consecutive integers (as a simple example, from 2 to 200 you have 100 numbers and 198 as the range). But to satisfy option A, you need to have at least one 'gap' in the form of zero. Hence, the range will never be less than 200.

I'll admit it was a stupidly tricky question. I fell for it too.


Your analysis is spot on! This GMAT Club question is a real challenge, requiring a combination of advanced skills: it's hard, tricky, and educational all at once.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 08 Nov 2021
Posts: 9
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Location: India
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V22
Send PM
Re: M38-03 [#permalink]
Thanks ashutoshbirla and Bunuel

to make life easier for others I drew up a sample set and the reason i failed was for 200 different even integers vs 100 even integers

{-102,-100,-98,-96,-94,-92,-90,-88,-86,-84,-82,-80,-78,-76,-74,-72,-70,-68,-66,-64,-62,-60,-58,-56,-54,-52,-50,-48,-46,-44,-42,-40,-38,-36,-34,-32,-30,-28,-26,-24,-22,-20,-18,-16,-14,-12,-10,-8,-6,-4,-2,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22,24,26,28,30,32,34,36,38,40,42,44,46,48,50,52,54,56,58,60,62,64,66,68,70,72,74,76,78,80,82,84,86,88,90,92,94,96,98}


=== === === === === === === ===
Life isn't easy, but lets try to make it easier
Intern
Intern
Joined: 24 May 2022
Posts: 34
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Location: United States
Send PM
Re: M38-03 [#permalink]
How do we know that the range of all even numbers from 0 to 200 is 202 and not 200? Shouldn't the range equal largest - smallest (which in this case would be 200-0=200)?
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 93365
Own Kudos [?]: 625479 [0]
Given Kudos: 81917
Send PM
Re: M38-03 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
hydr01 wrote:
How do we know that the range of all even numbers from 0 to 200 is 202 and not 200? Shouldn't the range equal largest - smallest (which in this case would be 200-0=200)?


The range of all even integers, from 0 to 200, inclusive is indeed 200 - 0 = 200. Notice though that the set of all even integers from 0 to 200 inclusive has 101 elements, not 100. From here I don't really understand your point. Can yuo please elaborate what you mean? Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Joined: 24 May 2022
Posts: 34
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Location: United States
Send PM
Re: M38-03 [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
hydr01 wrote:
How do we know that the range of all even numbers from 0 to 200 is 202 and not 200? Shouldn't the range equal largest - smallest (which in this case would be 200-0=200)?


The range of all even integers, from 0 to 200, inclusive is indeed 200 - 0 = 200. Notice though that the set of all even integers from 0 to 200 inclusive has 101 elements, not 100. From here I don't really understand your point. Can yuo please elaborate what you mean? Thank you!


No worries, I understand the original question of the day better from your response, thanks!
User avatar
Non-Human User
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 33132
Own Kudos [?]: 828 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: M38-03 [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: M38-03 [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
93365 posts