Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 21:03 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 21:03
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644177 [6]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [2]
Given Kudos: 241
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: ISB Kellogg
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4770 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
Send PM
Many crops can be traded on futures markets before they are ever harve [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Many crops can be traded on futures markets before they are ever harvested. If a poor harvest of oranges is expected, the prices of orange juice futures rise. If a bountiful orange harvest is expected, then the prices of orange juice futures fall. Over the last month, two hurricanes have ravaged the orange growing region of Florida, destroying thousands of acres of orange trees. Despite this fact, experts indicate that the prices of orange juice futures will fall in the coming weeks.

Which of the following, if true, explains why the experts mentioned above are correct?

A. The two hurricanes took different paths across Florida, affecting separate orange growing regions.
B. Futures for orange juice are priced higher this year than they were last year.
C. The second hurricane that affected Florida also hit parts of Louisiana.
D. A new report came out this morning that shows harvests of California oranges will be more than double normal levels due to above average rainfall in that state.
E. Most people who trade orange juice futures do not ever take possession of the orange juice.

Hi Experts GMATNinja egmat Bunuel AndrewN KarishmaB DmitryFarber

I agree that Option D is the best in the lot. But I think there is some amount of flaw in the option D as well. As experts mentioned with surety that the price will fall - usage of 'will'.

What if the increase in the production of oranges in California is less than the decrease in oranges in Florida, resulting in the overall decrease in the amount of quantity produced. This situation should lead to decrease in the prices.

Is there anything i am missing with my evaluation of the argument? Please explain.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Keshav1404 on 22 Apr 2023, 04:17.
Last edited by Keshav1404 on 23 Apr 2023, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Send PM
Re: Many crops can be traded on futures markets before they are ever harve [#permalink]
Kudos
D. A new report came out this morning that shows harvests of California oranges will be more than double normal levels due to above average rainfall in that state.

This statement, if true, explains why experts predict the prices of orange juice futures will fall despite the damage to Florida's orange crops. The expectation of an unusually large harvest in California would offset the losses in Florida, leading to lower orange juice future prices due to the anticipated abundance of oranges.

Explanation for other options:

A. Although this statement describes the paths of the hurricanes, it does not explain why the prices of orange juice futures would fall despite the damage they caused to Florida's orange crops.

B. This statement provides information on the historical pricing of orange juice futures but does not give a reason for the experts' prediction of falling prices in the face of hurricanes affecting Florida's orange crops.

C. The fact that the second hurricane also affected parts of Louisiana is irrelevant to the pricing of orange juice futures, as it does not provide any information on the overall supply of oranges.

E. This statement explains the behavior of traders in the orange juice futures market but does not address why the experts believe the prices will fall after the hurricanes' damage to Florida's orange crops.

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66909 [1]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
Re: Many crops can be traded on futures markets before they are ever harve [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Keshav1404 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Many crops can be traded on futures markets before they are ever harvested. If a poor harvest of oranges is expected, the prices of orange juice futures rise. If a bountiful orange harvest is expected, then the prices of orange juice futures fall. Over the last month, two hurricanes have ravaged the orange growing region of Florida, destroying thousands of acres of orange trees. Despite this fact, experts indicate that the prices of orange juice futures will fall in the coming weeks.

Which of the following, if true, explains why the experts mentioned above are correct?

A. The two hurricanes took different paths across Florida, affecting separate orange growing regions.
B. Futures for orange juice are priced higher this year than they were last year.
E. Most people who trade orange juice futures do not ever take possession of the orange juice.

Hi Experts GMATNinja egmat Bunuel AndrewN KarishmaB DmitryFarber

I agree that Option D is the best in the lot. But I think there is some amount of flaw in the option D as well. As experts mentioned with surety that the price will fall - usage of 'will'.

What if the increase in the production of oranges in California is less than the decrease in oranges in Florida, resulting in the overall decrease in the amount of quantity produced. This situation should lead to decrease in the prices.

Is there anything i am missing with my evaluation of the argument? Please explain.

Thanks in advance.

You are given that what the experts mentioned is correct. So the prices of orange futures will fall. So bountiful orange harvest is expected. This means that it is expected that the harvest of California oranges will make up for losses in Florida. Option (D) tells us why despite the losses in Florida, we expect orange crop to be plentiful - because California is producing much more than normal.
What actually happens doesn't matter. We know why the prices of futures will fall in the coming weeks. Because bountiful orange harvest is EXPECTED.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 2218
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V30
Send PM
This option suggests that the hurricanes affected different orange growing regions, which could imply that the overall impact on orange production might not be as severe as initially assumed. However, it does not directly explain why the prices of orange juice futures will fall in the coming weeks. Therefore, this option is not the correct explanation.

This option provides information about the pricing of orange juice futures but does not explain why the prices will fall in the coming weeks. It does not address the impact of the hurricanes or the expectations regarding orange harvest. Thus, this option is not the correct explanation.

This option mentions the second hurricane affecting parts of Louisiana in addition to Florida. While this information provides additional context, it does not directly explain why the experts believe that orange juice futures prices will fall. Therefore, this option is not the correct explanation.

D. A new report came out this morning that shows harvests of California oranges will be more than double normal levels due to above-average rainfall in that state.
This option provides crucial information that explains why the experts believe orange juice futures prices will fall. It states that a new report predicts abundant harvests of California oranges due to above-average rainfall. This implies that despite the poor orange harvest in Florida due to the hurricanes, the expected surplus in California oranges will compensate for the reduced supply and lead to lower prices. Therefore, this option is the correct explanation.

This option provides information about the nature of trading orange juice futures but does not directly explain why the prices will fall. It is not directly related to the impact of the hurricanes or the expectations regarding orange harvest. Thus, this option is not the correct explanation.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts