It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 02:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mathematician: Recently, Zubin Ghosh made headlines when he was recogn

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 240 [2], given: 39

Mathematician: Recently, Zubin Ghosh made headlines when he was recogn [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2015, 00:53
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:43) correct 42% (01:44) wrong based on 346 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Mathematician: Recently, Zubin Ghosh made headlines when he was recognized to have solved the Hilbert Conjecture. Ghosh posted his work on the internet,rather than submitting it to established journals. In fact, he has no job, let alone a university position; he lives alone and has refused all acclaim. In reporting on Ghosh, the press unfortunately has reinforced the popular view that mathematicians are antisocial loners. But mathematicians clearly form a tightly knit community,frequently collaborating on important efforts; indeed, teams of researchers are working together to extend Ghosh's findings.

In the argument above, the two portions in boldface play which of the following
roles?

(A) The first is an observation the author makes to illustrate a social pattern; the second is a generalization of that pattern.

(B) The first is evidence in favor of the popular view expressed in the argument;the second is a brief restatement of that view.

(C) The first is a specific example of a generalization that the author contradicts;the second is a reiteration of that generalization.

(D) The first is a specific counterexample to a generalization that the author asserts;the second is that generalization.

(E) The first is a judgment that counters the primary assertion expressed in the argument; the second is a circumstance on which that judgment is based.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 113

Re: Mathematician: Recently, Zubin Ghosh made headlines when he was recogn [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2015, 07:20
Hey Dom,

I like Option C. but the OA is Option D. Do you have any OE for this. Of course, I am not expert at Boldface questions.

dominicraj wrote:
Mathematician: Recently, Zubin Ghosh made headlines when he was recognized to have solved the Hilbert Conjecture. Ghosh posted his work on the internet,rather than submitting it to established journals. In fact, he has no job, let alone a university position; he lives alone and has refused all acclaim. In reporting on Ghosh, the press unfortunately has reinforced the popular view that mathematicians are antisocial loners. But mathematicians clearly form a tightly knit community,frequently collaborating on important efforts; indeed, teams of researchers are working together to extend Ghosh's findings.

In the argument above, the two portions in boldface play which of the following
roles?

(A) The first is an observation the author makes to illustrate a social pattern; the second is a generalization of that pattern.

(B) The first is evidence in favor of the popular view expressed in the argument;the second is a brief restatement of that view.

(C) The first is a specific example of a generalization that the author contradicts;the second is a reiteration of that generalization.

(D) The first is a specific counterexample to a generalization that the author asserts;the second is that generalization.

(E) The first is a judgment that counters the primary assertion expressed in the argument; the second is a circumstance on which that judgment is based.

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 113

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Mathematician: Recently, Zubin Ghosh made headlines when he was recogn [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2015, 07:58
This post received
KUDOS
The author's conclusion is that mathematicians actually form a tightly knit community. The

counterargument is that mathematicians are antisocial loners. Now, label each statement as

either Conclusion, Premise For, or Premise Against. In the above argument, the first boldface

represents an example that supports the counterargument. Thus, the first statement is

Premise Against. The second boldface represents the author's conclusion. Now we can write

down our assessment of the boldface statements:

#1 = Premise against

#2 = Conclusion

Turning to the answer choices, we should assess each one methodically.

Evaluate the first half of choice (A) first. This says that the author uses this statement to

illustrate a social pattern. In other words, this choice asserts that statement #1 is Premise

For. We have labeled the first statement as Premise Against, so this choice is incorrect.

The first half of choice (B) says the first statement supports the popular view. The popular

view is the counterargument, so this choice argues that #1 is Premise Against. The second

half of choice (B),.hoWever, says that the second statement is the popular view. The second

statement is the author's conclusion, not the counterargument. Eliminate this 'choice.

The first half of choice (C) says that the first statement is an example of the counterargument

(in other words, Premise Against). The second half of choice (C) says that the second

statement reiterates the counterargument, but the second statement is the author's own conclusion.

Eliminate this choice.

The first half of choice (D) says that the first statement is a counterexample to the author's

conclusion (in other words, Premise Against). The second half of choice (D) says that the

second statement is the author's conclusion. We agree with these labels, so this is the correct

answer. As always, you. should read all the answer choices, but you may be at the twominute

mark already, in which case you should select (D) and move on.

The first half of choice (E) says that the first statement is a premise against the author's conclusion

(in other words, Premise Against). The second half of this choice, however, says that

the second statement is another Premise Against. Eliminate this choice.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 18

GMAT 1: 540 Q35 V29

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 17:59
Hello,

the OA is D - however I have some doubts. (D) The first is a specific counterexample to a generalization that the author asserts;the second is that generalization.

It says the first is a specific counterexample to a generalization that author asserts and second is that generalization. I am not sure if I understood that correctly.

The way I read this is - "mathematicians are antisocial loners" - is the generalization and "he has no job, let alone a university position" kind of supports that generalization. None of this is what author asserts. It's the opposite of what author concludes.

what am I missing?

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 19:56
kuvshah wrote:
Hello,

the OA is D - however I have some doubts. (D) The first is a specific counterexample to a generalization that the author asserts;the second is that generalization.

It says the first is a specific counterexample to a generalization that author asserts and second is that generalization. I am not sure if I understood that correctly.

The way I read this is - "mathematicians are antisocial loners" - is the generalization and "he has no job, let alone a university position" kind of supports that generalization. None of this is what author asserts. It's the opposite of what author concludes.

what am I missing?

I think you are missing the point "generalization that the author asserts." The author never asserts that math people are antisocial individuals; rather, he advocates that they are a tight nit community. Therefore, the fact that the mathmatician has no job is a counterpoint to the author's generalization that they are a tight nit social community.

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 540 Q35 V29

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 20:18
pafrompa wrote:
kuvshah wrote:
Hello,

what am I missing?

I think you are missing the point "generalization that the author asserts." The author never asserts that math people are antisocial individuals; rather, he advocates that they are a tight nit community. Therefore, the fact that the mathmatician has no job is a counterpoint to the author's generalization that they are a tight nit social community.

I thought so. So here generalization is referring to Author's assertion that "mathematicians clearly form a tightly knit community" ?

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 80

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 01:22
Hi Experts , what is wrong with option B:
As per me - BF1 is indeed a Fact/evidence which is in favour of the poplar view ( Mathematicians are not social). BF2 can be taken as restatement of the view that they are social. Dont know what is wrong.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 01:23
As per me - BF1 is indeed a Fact/evidence which is in favour of the poplar view ( Mathematicians are not social). BF2 can be taken as restatement of the view that they are social. Dont know what is wrong.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3518 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Mathematician: Recently, Zubin Ghosh made headlines when he was recogn [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 05:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rakaisraka wrote:

BF1 are BF2 are opposing statements. The term "restatement" indicates that both statements are on the same side. Hence B is wrong.

(One quick technique to eliminate a few answers in a BF type question is to quickly identify whether the statements are on the same side or opposing each other.)

Kudos [?]: 3518 [1], given: 22

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 09:10
kuvshah wrote:
pafrompa wrote:
kuvshah wrote:
Hello,

what am I missing?

I thought so. So here generalization is referring to Author's assertion that "mathematicians clearly form a tightly knit community" ?

Correct, because that is the generalization "that the author asserts." It is a generalization that mathematicians are loners, but it's not the one put forward by the author.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 10:35
Can someone help me understand the answers between C and D? 'cos they are close to each other. Thanks!

Sent from my General Mobile 4G Dual using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Mathematician: Recently, Zubin Ghosh made headlines when he was recogn   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2017, 10:35

Mathematician: Recently, Zubin Ghosh made headlines when he was recogn

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap