It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 10:55

Final Week of R1 Decisions:

CHAT Rooms | MIT Sloan | McCombs 

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Matthew Barney is one of the contemporary artists that uses digital me

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1930 [0], given: 302

Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Matthew Barney is one of the contemporary artists that uses digital me [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2015, 03:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (00:43) correct 41% (00:45) wrong based on 229 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Matthew Barney is one of the contemporary artists that uses digital media whereas Brett Whitely, a painter and sculptor from Australia, uses traditional methods.

A. uses digital media whereas Brett Whitely, a painter and sculptor from Australia, uses traditional methods
B. uses digital media while the Australian painter and sculptor Brett Whitely uses traditional methods
C. use digital media whereas Brett Whitely, a painter and sculptor from Australia, use traditional methods
D. use digital media whereas Brett Whitely, a painter and sculptor from Australia, uses traditional methods
E. use digital media, while Brett Whitely, a painter and sculptor from Australia, uses the methods that are traditional
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Kudos [?]: 1930 [0], given: 302

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 142 [1], given: 18

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Matthew Barney is one of the contemporary artists that uses digital me [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2015, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
reto wrote:
Matthew Barney is one of the contemporary artists that uses digital media whereas Brett Whitely, a painter and sculptor from Australia, uses traditional methods.

A. uses digital media whereas Brett Whitely, a painter and sculptor from Australia, uses traditional methods
B. uses digital media while the Australian painter and sculptor Brett Whitely uses traditional methods
C. use digital media whereas Brett Whitely, a painter and sculptor from Australia, use traditional methods
D. use digital media whereas Brett Whitely, a painter and sculptor from Australia, uses traditional methods
E. use digital media, while Brett Whitely, a painter and sculptor from Australia, uses the methods that are traditional

The original sentence is correct. Answer: A

Matthew Barney is singular hence it requires singular verb uses, this rules out C, D and E

B is incorrect because it uses while to show contrast between what Barney uses and what Whitely uses. The use of while gives this sentence a Temporal meaning.
The sentence can be condensed to: Barney uses digital media while Whitely uses traditional methods.

It can be interpreted as: Barney uses digital media at the same time when Whitely uses traditional methods., which is not the intended meaning of the sentence.

This leaves us with just A.

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long

Kudos [?]: 142 [1], given: 18

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 8

Reviews Badge
Re: Matthew Barney is one of the contemporary artists that uses digital me [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2015, 11:34
reto wrote:

SV agreement
Artists is plural - A,B out
C - SV agreement in second part. uses traditional methods. Use is the right word.
D. Correct
E. awkward construction

Consider Kudos for my post, if it is helpful.
TIA

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 59

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2015, 23:24
One of <anything> - implies singular, hence verb should be singular.
All the options which have "uses" are to be eliminated.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 59

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 299

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2015, 06:51
reto wrote:

Initially even i got confused between 'use' or 'uses'. Then i thought that the words "is one of the contemporary artists" are may be just middlemen, and needed to be eliminated. isn't Matthew barney the subject here?

Where am i going wrong ? Please explain

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 299

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 31

Matthew Barney is one of the contemporary artists that uses digital me [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2015, 08:59
    Matthew Barney uses digital media
    Contemporary artists use digital media

Logically both are correct.
If the sentence were Matthew Barney is one of those contemporary artists... then use(singular)

But the original sentence suggests Matthew Barney as subject therefore IMO A is correct

Quote:

I am not an expert, so please CORRECT me if I am wrong

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 31

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 1792 [0], given: 797

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2015, 09:09

Construction "one of the X that verb" is particularly interesting as the verb following "that" must match the number of X .

Thus "uses" after 'that' is incorrect.

Incorrect as mentioned above.

Incorrect as mentioned above.

"use" should be "uses" as it refers to singular subject Brett Whitley

Correct.

Incorrect. Redundant. "the methods that are traditional" is a lot more verbose than "traditional methods" mentioned in option D. Additionally, putting "while Brett whitely" withing 2 comma construction makes it a non restrictive clause, changing the meaning of the original sentence.

Current Student
B

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2015, 09:11
phaneendrasristi wrote:
One of <anything> - implies singular, hence verb should be singular.
All the options which have "uses" are to be eliminated.

'one of anything' IS singular but the construction "one of X that verb" follows the number of X and not of the main subject ('one').

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 27

WE: Business Development (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 10:24
kindly help me with the correct usage.
Either uses or use in first part of the sentence?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 27

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1150 [0], given: 327

WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2017, 08:45
reto wrote:

One of the contemporary artists-------> Use....-------> Brett Whitely-------> uses

Correct answer must be (D) for the correct S/V usage...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1150 [0], given: 327

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2017, 09:20
Abhishek009 wrote:
reto wrote:

One of the contemporary artists-------> Use....-------> Brett Whitely-------> uses

Unrelated q:
Shouldn’t the statement use “who” rather than using “that”?
One of the artists who...

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 166

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 05:17
sevenplusplus wrote:
Abhishek009 wrote:
reto wrote:

Unrelated q:
Shouldn’t the statement use “who” rather than using “that”?
One of the artists who...

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Totally agree with you. GMAT Never uses 'that' for people.

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 166

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 95

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 23:05
Lakshmana Raja wrote:
kindly help me with the correct usage.
Either uses or use in first part of the sentence?

That Relative pronoun modifies the nearest noun. In first part that is modifying contemporary artists which is plural so correct verb will be " use ". Subject for second part is Brett Whitely ( Singular noun ) so correct verb will be Uses.

Hope that makes sense. :-)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 95

Re: Matthew Barney is one of the contemporary artists that uses digital me   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2017, 23:05

Matthew Barney is one of the contemporary artists that uses digital me

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap