Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 23:39 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 23:39
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 295 [16]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66911 [5]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2123 [2]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 34635 [0]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Re: Newspaper editor: Published photojournalism must always present [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Iwillget770 wrote:
­Newspaper editor: Published photojournalism must always present the events covered without distorting those events. Sometimes an image distorts the events a photojournalist attempts to capture, such as when the photojournalist has an equipment failure. In such cases, photojournalists are permitted to make minimal changes to an image, but only to the extent that (1) they are certain about what they observed, and (2) those changes reduce the distortion. Photojournalists' photos are often compelling works of art as well as documents of newsworthy events. However, for publication as journalism, a photo's aesthetic features are allowed to be considered only after the photo is shown to accurately portray relevant features of the event it depicts. In accordance with these criteria, in our journalistic coverage of Event E, we elected to publish photograph P1 rather than photograph P2.

Statement: Assuming the editor's statements are true, if ___1___, then it must be the case that ___2___.

­
The answer lies in the sentences

However, for publication as journalism, a photo's aesthetic features are allowed to be considered only after the photo is shown to accurately portray relevant features of the event it depicts. In accordance with these criteria, in our journalistic coverage of Event E, we elected to publish photograph P1 rather than photograph P2.

So, if P1 has been selected over P2 at least in part for its aesthetic features, then  this means that aesthetic played a role in deciding between P1 and P2. But we know that asthetic comes into play only when both portray relevant features of the even.

If the above has to be converted to If - then sentence, the selection on asthetic reasons means both portray relevant features. 

1. P1 was chosen over P2 at least in part for its aesthetic features

2. Both P1 and P2 accurately portray the relevant features of Event E­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Given Kudos: 186
Send PM
Re: Newspaper editor: Published photojournalism must always present [#permalink]
Kudos
I often get confused about the order in which the statements should be placed. I thought that the first event happening had to appear first, so I switched the order of appearance. What else can I do to avoid this mistake in the future?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM