Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [12]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [2]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
Re: Of course, in his attempts at field investigation, the historian is at [#permalink]
Question 2: Why B is not correct?
I think the answer is missing the point as it says "in the 18th century", but the passage is talking about "not until 18th century".
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32914 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Of course, in his attempts at field investigation, the historian is at [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sofronie wrote:
Question 2: Why B is not correct?
I think the answer is missing the point as it says "in the 18th century", but the passage is talking about "not until 18th century".

Official Explanation

2. With which of the following statements would the author be most likely to agree?

Difficulty Level: 650

There‘s not much to go on in the passage by way of opinion, but even a simple prediction can yield fast results. What is the author‘s main point? Old maps have historical value. Scanning the answer choices with even this broad prediction immediately turns up (A), which states much the same thing.

(A): The correct answer

(B): Opposite. This contradicts the point made in the last line: that in the 18th Century, modern, accurate map-making was born. (Per my comment in the question itself, although modern map making was born in the 18th century, it has surely developed and improved since).

(C): Opposite. The author argues that even maps with errors can offer historical value, but uses these particular maps in Para 4 as an example of maps with especially few errors.

(D): Out of Scope. The author never makes this claim, nor does it make sense, since presumably the maps that used Ptolemy as their base added more accurate data: otherwise, there would be no need to make a new map.

(E): Out of Scope. The author never expresses his views in this regard

Answer: A

Hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 336
Schools: ISB '23 (S)
GMAT 1: 560 Q43 V23
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
With regards to the question 1,

The problem is the statement 2 says the maps of Claudius were not used as model by later mapmakers.

I understand that his work was used as the basis. But we cannot for sure say that they were used as a model. I think it's kind of stretch.. And hence I selected 3 only.

I would like to know why statement 2 is not true ?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
sonalchhajed2019 wrote:

The problem is the statement 2 says the maps of Claudius were not used as model by later mapmakers.

I understand that his work was used as the basis. But we cannot for sure say that they were used as a model. I think it's kind of stretch.. And hence I selected 3 only.

Official Explanation

1. According to the passage, which of the following statements is/are NOT true?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

Don‘t start with RN I to answer this question! It appears in only one choice and so isn‘t a time-effective starting point. RN II appears in three choices, so start there. RN II directly contradicts the author‘s point in para 4 that Ptolemy‘s maps served as templates for other maps for centuries. Eliminate (B).

RN III contradicts the main point of the passage: historians are interested in maps as historical tools. Since RNs II and III are both untrue, only choice (D) is possible. Though there‘s no need to check RN I, it can be verified as true by looking at the main point of the last paragraph.

(A): Opposite. As described above.
(B): Opposite. As above.
(C): Opposite. As above.
(D): The correct answer
(E): Opposite. As above.

Strategy Point: Pay close attention to “NOT” in questions. It would be easy to thoughtlessly eliminate choices as not true in this question when in fact the untrue ones are the ones you’re looking for!

Answer: D

Hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 336
Schools: ISB '23 (S)
GMAT 1: 560 Q43 V23
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:
sonalchhajed2019 wrote:

Official Explanation

1. According to the passage, which of the following statements is/are NOT true?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

Don‘t start with RN I to answer this question! It appears in only one choice and so isn‘t a time-effective starting point. RN II appears in three choices, so start there. RN II directly contradicts the author‘s point in para 4 that Ptolemy‘s maps served as templates for other maps for centuries. Eliminate (B).

RN III contradicts the main point of the passage: historians are interested in maps as historical tools. Since RNs II and III are both untrue, only choice (D) is possible. Though there‘s no need to check RN I, it can be verified as true by looking at the main point of the last paragraph.

(A): Opposite. As described above.
(B): Opposite. As above.
(C): Opposite. As above.
(D): The correct answer
(E): Opposite. As above.

Strategy Point: Pay close attention to “NOT” in questions. It would be easy to thoughtlessly eliminate choices as not true in this question when in fact the untrue ones are the ones you’re looking for!

Answer: D

Hope it helps

SajjadAhmad Thank you for the reply. I liked the the strategy to start with RN 2 since it appears in 3 answer choices.

My specific query still remains unanswered. The passage says "The work of Claudius Ptolemy—who lived in the 2nd century A.D.—for centuries provided the basis for maps of the known world and its major regions." I thought providing basis for maps does not mean they were used as models. And I thought this was a kind of stretch.

Plesae correct me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
How much time should be used for answering those three questions?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
InaKi20 wrote:
How much time should be used for answering those three questions?

6 to 6:30 is fine for this RC. Anything less than 6 minutes is excellent and more than 6:30 is cautious.

Good Luck
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts